Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Information about spit removal- new petition

Windsurfing shop talk

by LeopardSkin » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:03 pm

LeopardSkin

by raquo » Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:13 am

Slappy wrote:Alternatively I wonder if it isn't time to give up the Spit all together and focus on getting something that can handle 200 concurrent kiters at Nexen while there is still time before the developers squeeze us out of that access.

The new Nexen will be very shitty for windsports:
* Not nearly enough space (especially for kiters)
* Not nearly enough parking, and no parking for more than 2 hours anywhere within walking distance (especially a problem for windsurfers, doubly so for those visiting)
* Windsports launch and sailing area is within future water airport exclusion area (as new regulations come into force in 1 or 2 years)

Here's a glimpse of the council's vision for Nexen:

> District council is hoping Oceanfront Squamish will become a pedestrian-centric community

> Council also added that over time, they would like to see vehicles on those roads phased out

And, if you read the news piece, they apparently have been considering letting the stratas own the roads in Nexen. Let that sink in, how crazy it is to even consider private roads as an option for this area, let alone this late in its development. They're completely out of touch.

The council is giving windsports exactly zero consideration when it comes to Nexen. They're building a sterile downtown tourist trap. There's a lot of real estate money involved in keeping it that way and unsuitable for us. They are fine if a dozen kites act as a tourist attraction but they don't need us for anything else.

Should we try to press them about windsports at Nexen? Yes, or they'll forget that they promised a windsports beach at all. But not at the cost of giving up on spit / 3rd ave / alternative access. Alternative windsports access is a must have.

If the new Nexen beach remains our only access, windsports in Squamish will gradually die out. And a smaller community will be even more defenseless, perpetually one stroke of a pen away from being banned or made completely infeasible.

They're destroying windsports from all angles – spit, nexen, water airport – and we need to fight back on all those angles, otherwise we'll be left with nothing.
raquo

by mjamero » Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:00 am

As I read of how the situation is unfolding in Squamish I feel there are legitimate reasons legal action should filed with the Province (Nexen development and access) and federally (Spit). Perhaps a silly question, but has this actually been done or is it still being hashed out with just Squamish town council? The most logical organization to file legal action would be the Squamish Windsports Society. It should be clear by now that Squamish town council WANTS wind sports out of the community. They are showing signs of bias and negotiating in bad faith. I would also be concerned with the amount and flow of money surrounding all this. At the very least, SWS should be seeking a temporary injunction to pause the spit removal and Nexen development until a permanent solution can be found that fairly accommodates all parties.
mjamero

by LeopardSkin » Fri May 14, 2021 7:19 pm

Last edited by LeopardSkin on Sat May 15, 2021 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LeopardSkin

by mjamero » Sat May 15, 2021 6:13 pm

mjamero

Previous

Return to Windsurfing