Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Wing foiling

Kitesurfing shop talk

by KiterDave » Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:20 pm

Hey all,
The idea of Winging is definitely taking hold on me. The freedom of linking up onto our local wind swell and actually just surfing the wave looks like something I can’t pass-up.

I was talking to the winging crew out at 3rd Ave and they suggested getting an 80L board. Good size for all round- buoyant enough to kneel start on, but still agile once up on foil.
The Quatro 5’2 looks like a decent option, any other suggestions of good/affordable boards on the market?
As for wings, is 5m the way to go for my first wing?
Thanks in advance for any help.
KiterDave

by grantmac » Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:57 pm

I tried it and went back to my windfoiling setup. I just kind of prefer the sensation.

Incidentally I'm selling a 6m wasp.
grantmac

by adam2 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:00 pm

Hi Dave,

I have been winging on and off since last summer and in my experience a 5m wing is about the equivalent of a 10m kite with a twin tip. The wing, however, would have a slightly larger windspeed range that extends in both directions. If I could only have one wing for local riding it would be a 5 for sure. For a first board I would probably go with +10L over my body weight in kg, maybe slightly lower if you are consistently in strong winds. I am 80kg riding a big 125L 6'6" and it makes getting going outrageously easy and worry-free, but I am sure it's not as loose and fun as something smaller.
adam2

by ZeroR2 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:14 pm

I guess everyone on this forum is the same weight. :shock:

Board is weight dependent.
ZeroR2

by Michael » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:38 am

KiterDave wrote:I was talking to the winging crew out at 3rd Ave and they suggested getting an 80L board.

ZeroR2 wrote:I guess everyone on this forum is the same weight.
Board is weight dependent.
Good point.

The 5m would be a great place to start. I have a 5m and a 106L Hypernut, which has been great to start, I'm 80kg. If you get an 80L board to start it will slow down your learning curve. You will get there eventually it just depends on how much time you want to spend in the water. Some learn faster than others of course but it really depends on your weight and skill level. If you are already kite foiling then your progression will be way faster.
There are some good comments on here, scroll down to the bottom and read winddocs post. If you know Chris he has mad skills as well!

http://www.bigwavedave.ca/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=10050&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=120
Michael

by KiterDave » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:54 pm

Great, thanks for the replies guys.
KiterDave

by JonathanP » Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:54 pm

I switched from windfoil to learning to wing on my 122l windsurf/foil board first few days to a 50l prone foil board. I'm 75kg/ could start standing on the 122 with foil. Was crazy how much more agile the smaller board is and find it actually easier to get on foil and stay on after getting the hang of the sitting to standing transition. But my windsurf board is not built for foiling and is fairly long.
JonathanP

Return to Kiteboarding