Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Sunday S to SW

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by Alton » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:03 pm

Session 3 of 3 ...

Went to check out White Rock ... saved the best to last. Pumped up 9m but 7m would have also worked in SSW 22-25. Fun wave session with Chuck, Steve and Slappy. Super fun gybes ... when I didn't hit bottom in the shallows. Picturesque combination of low sun and breaking waves. Great way to end the weekend.

signal-2021-02-21-191012.jpeg
signal-2021-02-21-191012.jpeg (255.86 KiB) Viewed 17335 times

White_Rock_Sun_Feb_21.jpg
White_Rock_Sun_Feb_21.jpg (114.44 KiB) Viewed 17338 times
Alton

by imdmitry » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:47 pm

I did morning session today at 3d ave. 9m and tt from 9:30 till 11am. Wind was good in the beginning, even sun come out and it was beautiful. After that wind shifted and become gusty. More stable and stronger higher upwind at mile maker. Light and gusty close to shore.

Unfortunately had to leave early today.
imdmitry

by tweegster » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:28 pm

Just missed you Alton, had a blast in WR east beach this afternoon from 12:30 till 3:30. Lots of folks out, lit on my 12M Soul. The usual white rock crew was out in force, saw Angus and I think Jerry too, so much fun.

It stayed pretty SE for the first bit, but eventually went straight on shore. The waves got better and made for some fun ramps, especially over by the pier.

:mrgreen:
tweegster

by Michael » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:48 pm

Alton wrote:Great way to end the weekend.

Nice score Alton, I tried to sail up to where you and Mike were but couldn't get out that far. I was also wondering about Centennial and thought about going over there for a windsurf but when I checked the sensor it looked really light so stayed for a while longer at the Terminal. Did anyone windsurf over there today?
Michael

by Alton » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:17 am

Hey Michael - yesterday I talked to Daniel Sullivan (yet another Tsawwassen local) at 3rd Avenue so was wing foiling for the first time. He's pretty stoked about it and says don't waste your time with wind foiling or kite foiling ... with wing foiling you can ride waves without the wing.

Is that why you're getting into wing foiling?
Alton

by Slappy » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:34 am

Great session at WREB yesterday afternoon, a little over 2 hours on the water with plenty of wind and lots of big boosts. Waves weren't amazing for what that spot can offer. Shame we don't get more SW.

Tweegster, you and the guy on the black Core were throwing some big boosts.
Slappy

by Michael » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:24 am

Alton wrote:Hey Michael - yesterday I talked to Daniel Sullivan (yet another Tsawwassen local) at 3rd Avenue so was wing foiling for the first time. He's pretty stoked about it and says don't waste your time with wind foiling or kite foiling ... with wing foiling you can ride waves without the wing.

Hey Alton, yes that's definitely the reason! Can't wait to get to that level. I saw a guy at the terminal yesterday catching some rides on the small swell there. I managed to get a few rides yesterday at the terminal but I wish I had of gone over to 3rd when the wind picked up around 11. I really love the freedom the wing brings to foiling, wind foiling was a great way for me to get used to riding the foil but the wing is way more fun. Sorry I missed Dan, hopefully I'll see him out there again.

I'm sure you've seen lots of videos but check this out... hoping to get out and ride the Boundary Bay swell soon!

Michael

by shmish » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:40 pm

Started around 9:45 on the windfoil and 4.6 at the FT. Was overpowered and did a couple of typical massive catapults. Came in after a while to try the 4.6 on my small Roberts, figured it would be easier to swap boards than re-rig. That didn't work out, the board doesn't have a lot of volume (maybe 80 L tops). Came in and rigged my new 3.7 revo. Wind had picked up by then (4.6 and 80L would have been fine) and some fun on the windfoil.

For whatever reason I was getting steady level flights with the 3.7, much better than any of my recent sessions. I was even sheeting out most of the time by this point but felt oddly in control. I wonder if the newer revo (2019 vs 2008) is more conducive to foiling. I eventually had a larger crash and the boom slipped out of my hand. The whole kit flew in the air and landed 7 m downwind from me. This was the start of a 15 minute swim to shore, chasing my gear. Lucky no one was downwind of me because the foil/board/rig combo could really do some damage. After a rest I headed out for a bit again but was pretty tired at this point. Just as I came in the wind starting dropping and I started shivering.
Last edited by shmish on Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shmish

by Slappy » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:47 pm

I was surprised there were no wingers out at WR yesterday, I know you have to go a ways out from shore before you get depth to foil but there was a kite foiler out ripping around.

Actually maybe they don't like WR because the good waves are all too shallow to foil, so you have to be tempted by them while riding further out or down closer to the pier.
Slappy

by adam2 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:23 pm

Michael wrote:
Alton wrote:Hey Michael - yesterday I talked to Daniel Sullivan (yet another Tsawwassen local) at 3rd Avenue so was wing foiling for the first time. He's pretty stoked about it and says don't waste your time with wind foiling or kite foiling ... with wing foiling you can ride waves without the wing.

Hey Alton, yes that's definitely the reason! Can't wait to get to that level. I saw a guy at the terminal yesterday catching some rides on the small swell there. I managed to get a few rides yesterday at the terminal but I wish I had of gone over to 3rd when the wind picked up around 11. I really love the freedom the wing brings to foiling, wind foiling was a great way for me to get used to riding the foil but the wing is way more fun. Sorry I missed Dan, hopefully I'll see him out there again.

I'm sure you've seen lots of videos but check this out... hoping to get out and ride the Boundary Bay swell soon!

Michael were you the blue Freewing launching near the far end of the causeway? It looked like someone else on a windfoil board. If so you were doing great! I tried coming upwind to say hi but my upwinding without a harness leaves much to be desired. I am hoping using the harness will get me windfoiling-like angles to allow for the upwind/downwinding that makes windfoiling so fun. Right now my surface jibes are eating in to most of my upwind progress.
adam2

PreviousNext

Return to Weather Talk and OSR