Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Is there a good place in Squamish, currently, foil learning

Off Topic Comments, Help, Tips and Trick

by arg » Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:19 am

I have windsurfed off the spit in years past, but I haven't been to the spit this current year, 2022. I sailed from Nexan once years ago as well. Is there anywhere reasonable to learn to windfoil now that is also not in the way of other windsport enthusiasts?
arg

by john m » Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:39 pm

Porteau cove is a good place to try
john m

by JonathanP » Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:05 pm

High tide on the north side of the spit is pretty good as long as you can stay upwind. Just watch out for the few logs that are sticking up.
JonathanP

by Cathulu » Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:21 am

Yes high tide between the Spit and the Port can be good. I tried it Saturday for learning to windfoil but it was gusty, strong winds and a narrow wind corridor that day so not the best progress, was over powered on a 4.0 but also slogging but some progress made nevertheless. Also submerged and grounded logs, one in particular I hit it twice while slogging so no damage thankfully... I think Squamish is a risk to rip a foil off in certain areas.

I want to try Porteau but the stars have not aligned for me yet. Either not enough wind or no parking available.
Cathulu

by JonathanP » Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:37 pm

River current has been pretty slow at high tide lately if it doesn't rain too much. That side is another option as long as one is confident enough to get back without the river pushing you into the sound. There's a few logs and rocks there too, but mostly out of the main river channel. Nice for practice since you can go downwind all day and the current keeps you in place. Usually seems more gusty upriver than estuary side but smoother closer to the spit.
JonathanP

Return to General