Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

North Sails and Sails Repair - A Word of CAUTION

Off Topic Comments, Help, Tips and Trick

by mjamero » Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:17 pm

A word of caution to anyone who uses the local North Sails for sail repair. They have increased prices... DRAMATICALLY! Further, they will NOT inform you of any prices change until AFTER the work is done and they bill you.

I recently brought a Sailworks NX 8.6 in to have one of the small panels along the luff replaced. I had the exact same repair done on an adjacent panel last year on the same sail. The invoice this time came more than double. The discrepancy they claim is due to new shop rates (now $135 per hour) and increased material costs. Some price increase due to inflation is expected given the economic climate but, more than double in one year is beyond excessive in my view. Not informing customers of this huge increase until after the work is done is inexcusable, very deceptive, and bad business.

So, be warned if using North Sails. They still do great work but, something has changed management wise, and not for the better. New management maybe? New owners? More (or less) control by North Sails Global? Who knows... But, from a customer’s perspective they have completely priced themselves out the local market and it seems they are out of touch with the realities of the local water sport community. It’s a shame because I always used to go out of my way to send them business when the topic of sail repair came up in conversation.

Based on their new rates, you may as well save up a repair or two and go to Hood River to have Sailworks repair them for you (90% of us around here sail Sailworks). Unfortunately, a lot of sails that could see continued life with some simple repairs are no longer financially viable to repair. This is something for you to consider when buying and selling second hand sails locally.
mjamero

by morrison » Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:28 pm

If you're talking about Dennis and North Sails in Richmond I always felt they were way too inexpensive when they fixed my kites.
morrison

by 8mdude » Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:56 am

I guess if it’ll take more than 2 hours might as well buy a new one or take up a new skill: sewing or something
8mdude

by Richi » Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:45 am

Maybe they are raising prices on certain high maintenance customers hoping they go elsewhere. I used Dennis in the past, he was great and will continue to go there. It’s amazing they actually still do the windsurf sails, probably not worth their time.
Richi

by Alex » Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:29 am

I would just appreciate having someone local to do professional repairs
Alex

Return to General