Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Paint for windsurf board

Off Topic Comments, Help, Tips and Trick

by Jens » Tue May 24, 2022 10:23 am

What paint is best to use for a windsurf board? had to do a repair over the winter and think it needs some uv protection for the summer
Jens

by Gleb » Tue May 24, 2022 11:39 am

Hey Jens, I just use any spray can from a hardware store. Most importantly I give it a few coats and wet sand after! Nothing fancy but it works.
Gleb

by Ryan » Tue May 24, 2022 5:12 pm

Look for acrylic water based spray paint. Here's a video, https://youtu.be/-fNRcIfNWzU
Ryan

by Jens » Wed May 25, 2022 4:33 pm

Thanks guys, that's helpfull
Jens

by shmish » Thu May 26, 2022 5:13 am

I was recommended to use automotive paint. Napa can do colour matching. I think they usually map according to a database of car models and colours but they might be able to do pantone colours. I'm pretty sure you can get pantone colours for your fanatic board. I don't know what their minimum charge is.
shmish

by ZeroR2 » Thu May 26, 2022 6:02 am

To get the color to really match, I believe the best method is to mix with resin.

Here is the link I saved for one of my boards that needs to be fixed in a few days. I am going to try to located the paint and mix with resin.

https://forum.fanatic.com/d/25828-blast ... olor-codes
ZeroR2

by mjamero » Thu May 26, 2022 2:17 pm

I took my blue/orange Futura in to Tracy at NAPA's CMAX in Burnaby a few years ago. She scanned the board and produced a color matched custom aerosol can. It is not totally exact but it is as close as you will get to original. You will need to clear coat (matte or gloss) or brush a thin layer of epoxy to seal custom cans. You can add anti-skid to the epoxy if needed. All of this is only if you are really picky about an exact match (it will never be perfect, only close). Otherwise, just go to Can. Tire and grab a can of automotive Dupli-color that matches the closest. I put my hook through the deck of my pristine Fanatic Slalom board a couple seasons ago and just used off-the-shelf Dupli-color from Can. Tire covered with clear epoxy (after doing a proper carbon repair). My hook went in right on the large Fanatic logo. I taped off new letter templates and used two different color cans to recreate the logo. It turned out pretty well. No repair will ever be perfect but it's a far superior repair than ding stick. Everyone comments how well of a repair job I've done on these two boards.
mjamero

by shmish » Thu May 26, 2022 9:21 pm

Good info, thanks Mark. I have a repair on my Roberts and I haven’t decided yet if I will paint it. I would have to mask off the adjacent logo and try to fade it a bit. I don’t know how close I’ll get, which might make the whole point moot. I might just put a logo over it ;).

My blast is a different story. I have 4 small repairs on the nose and I think I will sand them all down and do one nice repair and spray to match the colour. I have a hplv sprayer but buying a can might be a lot easier
shmish

Return to General