Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

SWS Season Pass

Off Topic Comments, Help, Tips and Trick

by Alton » Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:35 pm

$280 Season Membership ($500 Family) still seems affordable

https://www.squamishwindsports.com/memberships-passes

Memberships-Passes-—-Squamish-Windsports-Society.jpg
Memberships-Passes-—-Squamish-Windsports-Society.jpg (23.63 KiB) Viewed 8829 times
Alton

by Roxstock » Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:46 pm

Alton wrote:$280 Season Membership ($500 Family) still seems affordable

https://www.squamishwindsports.com/memberships-passes

Memberships-Passes-—-Squamish-Windsports-Society.jpg

A bargain if you can ride as much as you Alton, unfortunately not if such a good deal if your not able to make it there more than 10 times a season.
Roxstock

by 8mdude » Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:14 pm

It seems the new boats can only ferry kiters. Windsurfers will have to launch outside the island. So do windsurfers have to buy memberships? Not that all pay their dues anyway.
8mdude

by JonathanP » Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:48 pm

I think they've said they will be able to ferry all types. Might be a hassle though. Perhaps rigging first and then letting the board float along the boat would work?
JonathanP

by bensmac » Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:06 am

Hi. I contacted SWS after reading this and they are definitely going to be transporting windsurfers too and not only kiters. thanks!
bensmac

by 8mdude » Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:38 pm

I’m curious if anyone knows whether there’ll be toilet for us to use. I just can’t imagine how that will be maintained.

That’ll be a “Must” to have to pay the membership fee.

If not I guess I go kiting on low tide and windsurfing on high tide so no need of SWS services. And no need for me of their precious island.

I’m probably going to head to Oregon anyway for 2 months — just trying to figure out an affordable data coverage.
8mdude

by max.spock » Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:59 pm

There will be portable toilets at the end of the spit road
max.spock

by Cathulu » Mon May 02, 2022 10:15 pm

Hmmm... I checked out the Squamish Spit on Sunday and walked to the Island at low tide.

I have launched my windsurfer in the river around the new turnaround and usually float downstream a bit before waterstarting and I can certainly continue to do it.

That said, it can be sketchy launching and gear damage may result on the rocks with the river current, so I prefer launching on the Island and rigging on the carpet. One bad river launch or return will negate saving money not getting a membership.

So I have decided I will get a membership again for easier launch in better winds, relaxed carpeted rigging and derigging, and rescue.

My sail detached once and I needed a rescue... so I value it.

When the Nexus reopens I will rethink things...

I think this year the river current will be huge until maybe July with all of the snow up there... last year I rode in the river with very strong current, it was freaky. So Island life it is!!
Cathulu

by JonathanP » Tue May 03, 2022 10:54 am

That's a good call, winged at the end of the road yesterday, estuary side, with the excavated spit about 3 ft underwater. There was about 2knots of current passing over it into the estuary(River still very low flow). Negates the wind speed advantage at low tide with the river opposing the wind direction. Might not be safe to jump in the river and float to the windline unless at low tide or solid winds blowing upriver. Seems like getting pulled downwind over the excavation area is now a primary hazard to riding in the river. Hopefully it doesn't fill with logs! On a brighter note, no windshadow on the way back to the road from the spit, so might just need a one way ride most days windsurfing or winging.
JonathanP

by Ryan » Tue May 03, 2022 12:09 pm

Cathulu wrote: One bad river launch or return will negate saving money not getting a membership.

I've destroyed at least two sails, probably more, launching/ landing in the river at low tide, so at today's prices about > $2000.

The membership also pays for advocacy, ongoing access to the spit road/ insurance/ wind meter etc. etc.
Ryan

Next

Return to General