Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Cold hands and citrus fruit

Off Topic Comments, Help, Tips and Trick

by Mike » Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:56 am

During the summer I was listening to a nutrition podcast about citrus fruit. Apparently there's some evidence that it can help with cold hands in cold weather. We're not quite there yet but soon. So maybe pack an orange or two for upcoming cold weather pre-session prep.
Mike

by Richi » Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:53 am

Thanks for posting that info Mike, always looking for ways to extend the gloveless season. I already take Niacin and Cayenne pepper pills before winter sailing, I will start eating oranges too.
I looked it up and found a video explaining it, here it is.

https://nutritionfacts.org/video/keepin ... th-citrus/
Richi

by Michael » Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:16 am

Good info Mike and Richi, I was surprised how quickly it got cold this year. The water temp also dropped really fast. I really don't like wearing gloves as well so I hope this will help! Might keep your toes a bit warmer too. :D
Michael

by Bernie » Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:10 am

Media fact check:

While eating a diet high in fruits and vegetables and low in red meats is scientifically proven to be beneficial, Dr. Greger takes it to a higher level promoting a 100% plant-based diet. According to the Science Based Medicine website, Dr. Greger and NutritionFacts.org makes “zealot” like claims about the benefits of a vegan plant-based diet. In their article, Science Based Medicine debunks one by one, many of Dr. Gregers claims. They also claim that NutritionFacts cherry-picks information that will always favor veganism. NutritionFacts.org does provide some valuable information and certainly, a diet high in fruits and vegetables is preferred, but Dr. Gregers claims are extreme.

Overall, we rate NutritionFacts.org a moderate Pseudoscience source due to exaggerated health claims. (D. Van Zandt 10/9/2017) Updated (07/07/2018)
Bernie

by Mike » Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:38 am

Bernie wrote:Media fact check:

Overall, we rate NutritionFacts.org a moderate Pseudoscience source due to exaggerated health claims. (D. Van Zandt 10/9/2017) Updated (07/07/2018)

I find good nutrition can be very hard to understand and this is part of the reason. Having said this, I think there are good "rules of thumb" out there and also much individual person differences.

In the case of citrus fruit and cold hands, I figure it's going to be a "it works" or "it doesn't" and does not involve a longer term pattern of eating that may or may not be of any good. Looking forward to the next high wind cold day.
Mike

Return to General