Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

experiences for foil masts in Aluminum versus Carbon

Off Topic Comments, Help, Tips and Trick

by arg » Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:01 pm

Hi All,
Any experiences one way or the other regarding Aluminum versus Carbon foil-mast ?
Price is an obvious factor.
I am average body mass, so don't need the performance of Carbon while learning.
Corrosion on Aluminum, can it be readily managed using the grease/lubricant and by taking the foil apart and rinsing after use in salt water?
Are titanium fittings the way to go, or not necessary?
Thanks,
arg

by adam2 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:20 pm

I have been using aluminum for three or four years without any issues for windfoiling and more recently winging. I never rinse stuff despite riding in saltwater, all I do is marine grease the bolts twice a year and loosen off all the bolts between sessions and replace then annually or so. I can feel some flex in my Slingshot Hoverglide setup when crossing boat wakes or in weird chop. I would prefer to ride carbon for the stiffness and weight savings, but I cannot justify the additional cost given the diminishing returns on the dollar. I find weight isn't a huge concern for a weekend warrior like me other than when carrying gear down to the beach. When I replace my setup my priority will be to go to a more modern higher aspect alloy wing setup like an Axis ahead of going to full carbon. I am sure others will disagree though, carbon is pretty nice.
adam2

by john m » Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:00 pm

Been using the slingshot aluminum for three years. I replaced the mast to fuselage bolts with stainless. The other day I broke a titanium bolt for the mast top plate, but didn’t lose the foil, I recommend stainless bolts not titanium they are too brittle
john m

by BigD » Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:11 pm

I switched to a carbon mast setup this summer(Slingshot Phantasm 730). I rode the aluminum slingshot setup for 2 summers prior to selling my first born.

I had a great time on the aluminum setup but couldn't really make foiling jibes. After the switch to carbon I started sticking them.

I'm 220lbs so maybe the aluminum flex was messing me up, maybe it's the different front wing, maybe it's the new board. Lots of factors and I've definitely seen some really good foilers on the aluminum setup making jibes. Probably user error on my part.

Stoked on the new setup tho!
BigD

by JonathanP » Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:31 pm

I've only been on aluminum, I leave the bolts in place for a few sessions and grease them before installing the first time. If you use Teflon tape too you can leave them in for a while. I'd like to go to carbon, those phantasms look awesome! Carbon is nice for weight savings, but that's mostly to be able to ride smaller swells and pump longer for me. If you're on wind foil the weight savings isn't that high (compared to ditching your sail ;) ), but if your winging with a light board already or planning to pump or prone foil surf then it's more worth it for the weight. I think wing shape/size is more important than mast material as far as differences in performance and stability until you start pushing it.
JonathanP

by grantmac » Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:12 pm

Slingshot aluminum is extremely flexible and their fuselage connection is....poor. Better engineered aluminum setups are much stiffer
grantmac

Return to General