Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Spit removal

Off Topic Comments, Help, Tips and Trick

by drummermom » Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:27 am

If anyone wants to know what’s REALLY going on, check out Tim Cyr’s FB page. Open to the public. https://www.facebook.com/tim.cyr.98
drummermom

by Young » Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:41 pm

Hmmmm, seems there is something fishy going on in Squamish, and I don't mean just the salmon. I have wondered why those culverts were built; I'm not a hydrodynamics engineer but they just looked like they would not be very effective as there was nothing to actually divert the water flow into the culverts. I read that there were actual studies done for the culverts and the removal of the spit (computer modelling?) but they are not making the studies results public. A few days ago, somebody (squamish local) on the spit told me that they knew the culverts would not be very effective but proceeded with construction anyway because they had the grant money. Reading the facebook posting in Drummermoms provided link, raises the question for me; were the culverts built merely as a make work project for the building contractors? The old adage;
" just follow the money", comes to mind. I do not believe everything I hear and read but hmmm, seems fishy.
Young

by raquo » Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:04 pm

I mean it's pretty clear what their game is. Removing the lowest 300m of the spit is the least effective thing you could do to increase water flow into the eastuary, yet this is what they chose to do. Putting culverts above low tide mark was the least effective thing they could do before that, so that's what they did then. Who cares when the ultimate goal is to spend money that isn't yours. Doing it ineffectively only gives reason to ask for more money in the next year. There are billions of public dollars available for such things in various environmental funds.

And all of this is done in ultimate secrecy with zero details given to the public, preventing any oversight or independent review. Jeez I wonder why.
raquo

by BigD » Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:17 pm

Looks like there will be room for at least 4 kites and 3 windsurfers at Nexen. Watch those trees with the onshore wind kiters.Image

https://oceanfrontsquamish.com/stories/oceanfront-park-construction-commencing/

Can't believe Squamish doesn't see that they have a world class windsports town and is allowing the spit removal. Kites and sunbathers won't mix very well.
BigD

by drummermom » Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:16 am

Kites and wind surfers don’t even mix too well. IMO !!
drummermom

by LeopardSkin » Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:56 am

drummermom wrote:Kites and wind surfers don’t even mix too well. IMO !!

Procreation between windsurfers and kiters produces wing-dingers.
LeopardSkin

by drummermom » Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:20 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:
drummermom

by arg » Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:51 am

Okay, but seriously, in the picture provided in this thread above;

A breakwall to separate sun worshipping beach goers ( sometimes me) from the wind-enthusiast beach is a horrible accident waiting to happen. A kiter just died recently in Florida in unstable winds that propelled him into a building...

Sun worshipping beach goers down-wind of any wind enthusiast is not a good idea, accidents happen. A swimmer is difficult to see when trying to get going near a beach, think sails, kites, fins, etc. meeting with a swimmer...

Again, the proposed new buildings look close to the beach, causing turbulence in the wind, please see points above.

Myself, I would dearly love to have nice location in that otherwise corridor of consistent laminar thermal wind where all wind enthusiasts could safely launch, land, and harmonize ( make more wingdingers... hah ).
arg

by Cathulu » Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:13 pm

"Shaped by the community, the place, the wind, the tides and storms, the park has been designed to address sea level rise, erosion and flooding in its design”

Shaped by the wind, did they do wind modeling to help keep clean air at the watersports park? I hope so but they don't mention it in the design.

At least they have recognized windsports, like the waterfront at Hood River but not as large or with as good parking.

It will be congested and not sure how far away to park my Sprinter. It may be a haul and inconvenience for many.

We need a Spit realignment or replacement within the next few years or the sport may be severely curtailed and diminished.
Cathulu

by drummermom » Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:22 pm

Myself, I would dearly love to have nice location in that otherwise corridor of consistent laminar thermal wind where all wind enthusiasts could safely launch, land, and harmonize ( make more wingdingers... hah ).

You mean like the Spit?
drummermom

Next

Return to General