Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Nexan Status

Off Topic Comments, Help, Tips and Trick

by JonathanP » Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:12 pm

Indeed nexen was a perfect mix of strong wind plus a bit of derelict industrial waste to keep crowds at bay and let the wind folks do their thing, but that couldn't last forever in a rapidly growing population. Primary focus on pushing for continued access and am optimistic that there could be a better end result than what we had before. The wind isn't going anywhere and neither is the demand for windsports access.
JonathanP

by max.spock » Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:15 pm

My gut feeling is that "regular" tourists will hate that beach in the summer, the water is cold and muddy, the wind blows all the time - can't swim, can't stand up paddle, can't relax (wind is annoying to non wind people). It is naturally going to get back to wind lovers 8-)
max.spock

by Slappy » Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:55 pm

For the wingers I would imagine they would do just fine at Darell Bay ferry terminal or even Fury Creek if the wind fills in that far South. Also big boarded windsurfers could make do there too.
Slappy

by Ryan » Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:38 pm

I've investigated Darrell Bay a few times, both from the water and from the land. On any sort of craft you're in for at least a 150m swim/ paddle. One can launch South or North of the house, both involve a climb down a steep rocky bank.
Ryan

by Ryan » Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:43 pm

[quote="JonathanP"]The wind isn't going anywhere and neither is the demand for windsports access.[/quote]

I'm slightly worried that taller buildings may mess up the wind, just as they have done at other sailing spots around the world.
Ryan

by JonathanP » Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:07 pm

Lighter wind would be a bummer but probably plenty for the foil ;)
Where else has that happened, Vancouver, other prominent beachfront skyrise atrocities?
JonathanP

by Ryan » Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:20 am

Jonathan, the places I know where the wind has been killed by buildings, Jericoacoara, a spot in Aruba, and Strand, a spot near Cape Town. I'm sure there are more.

In Strand I used to plane off the beach, now it's a slog through the whitewater.
Jeri used to have relatively clean wind but now it's very very gusty at the main sailing spot on the point. The locals wait on the beach for the gusts.
Ryan

by AlexK » Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:31 am

Yeah its brutal. I was lucky enough to get very last winging session in from Nex on Monday. I was all alone. Teusday was closed.

No fear. Wing or windfoil I am going to try from Klahanie. It's a promising prone paddle out and go. Nothing more than going out to the line up. Alternatively, u can SUP the wing board out. As long as they don't also decide to close that lot I think we' re good. Oh, and as long as the float planes that are coming to Squamish don't land there. Oh, and those dreaded cruise ships. Yeah, this is just the tip of the iceberg...

We will get through this team. See u on the water.
AlexK

Previous

Return to General