Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Nexan Status

Off Topic Comments, Help, Tips and Trick

by jtorva » Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:38 pm

I've been out of the game for some time and wanted to know what the current status of sailing out of Nexan is. Is this location still usable or has development of this area made it impossible to sail out of? Sorry in advance if this has already been answered elsewhere.

Jordan
Jordan
jtorva

by Jens » Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:20 pm

Heard they completely closed access as of today
Jens

by Rob Mulder » Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:41 am

It closed this past Sunday , such a bummer . I am guessing that there will be some beach that we can launch from when the construction is completed , but what I have been hearing it is not going to be very large and very little parking . Once again my thoughts a beach for the residents not for wind minded sailors of any kind.
The town of Squamish doesn't want us there and soon the spit will be dug up . The Capital of recreation is what Squamish bills them selves to the world. Weird !

Rob.
Rob Mulder

by JonathanP » Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:26 am

Working on setting up a club to help with this, as the sws is busy defending the spit: questionnaire here if you haven't seen it already https://forms.gle/K1pgEViNofSc6wXy8

Development Info: https://oceanfrontsquamish.com/stories/june-2021-oceanfront-squamish-construction-updates/

Email that was just sent to those who filed the questionnaire:

Now that parking and beach access has closed, it's probably about time this club gets going. Looking forward to getting some community power out of us wind sport advocates!

Again, the focus is (high to lower priority, open to ideas):
-Coordinating our voices as users of the Squamish waterfront to help ensure best access going forward
-Pushing/fundraising for some sort of facility/area for rigging/derigging/storage, etc within the development
-Encouraging new people to learn windsports
--Perhaps through lessons, gear rental, club loader gear, etc
Windsport access is now mainly available by using the spit or by boat. Alternatively, launching from mamquam beach (protected cove just north of nexen parking area) and slogging upwind blind channel is a possibility for those willing to walk there as parking is not available very close. Darrell bay is another option, but I've found the wind line there to be a little far out and very choppy. So most people will probably migrate to the spit, but I plan to investigate mamquam beach as a launch point. It would also be the only spot suitable for beginners in windsurfing or winging, though still a poor option.

I've started the process of registering the club with the province as a non-profit, and if anyone is experienced/interested in helping out with that please let me know. Will be further registering and setting up club webpage/membership applications. We can start a group email chain if there are many others interested in taking part in setting things up.

Otherwise, I'll let you all know once the club is open for memberships. For now thinking around a minimal $10/by donation to join to help cover admin costs and get a bit of funding to start things off.
JonathanP

by jtorva » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:08 pm

This this really unfortunate for the windsport/watersport community. It could be a couple of years before there is any kind of access to the water in this area of Squamish. For me I can't justify the cost at the spit for the 2-3 times I'm going to sail, plus I'm not much of a fan of sailing out of the spit. I have been threatening of switching over to Harrison Lake and I think this will be the year that it happens. Harrison is actually a little closer for me.
Jordan
jtorva

by Mike » Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:28 am

jtorva wrote: I have been threatening of switching over to Harrison Lake and I think this will be the year that it happens. Harrison is actually a little closer for me.

This is a big reason I added wind foil to my quiver. It keeps the prospects of relatively local summer wind sport options should Squamish largely close down.
Mike

by shmish » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:06 am

First, a thanks to Jonathan for his work on getting a registered club.
I wonder how many days in the summer Porteau Cove gets 10 knots or more? Maybe it can be a one quiver kind of place - race foil, 8.5m foil sail, 95cm wide board. I don’t think PC gets over 16kn super often, but maybe 10+ ?
shmish

by ezzylover » Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:13 am

I do not post much:
This feels like the end of an era to me, I remember some great days at Nexen with 30 knots plus.
I remember low tide days with people leaning in the bay or more recently the cute little kids on their tiny gear.

This is my (personal point of view) recollection of events from the last few years.
We used to go to the spit around 2007 but got quickly pushed away by kitesurfers, not blaming anyone here or trying to revive a long debate, everyone wants to enjoy the water , bottom line is we felt we needed more space.
Got to Nexen and even with the sometime challenging launch and lesser wind, we made it work and met lots of people along the way that enjoyed the area as well.
Then came the new development , which got stalled for a few years and is now back on track.
The city of Squamish is basically lying to itself by forgetting one part of its identity, the fact that they are a water sport city
the reason being, like anywhere in BC, is that land by the water is more profitable than access for pleasure, relaxation, and mental health.
The future for the spit is not looking good either, is this the end of water sports in Squamish?
Is the council only made of Kens and Karens ?

I know, there is some land with access to the water near by, some dive clubs have access to it, once Jonathan club is up and running maybe it is worth approaching the stratta or HOA , see if sailors can gain access too. just an idea.

Cheers

G
ezzylover

by Richi » Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:49 am

Nice work Jonathan! Keep it up, you may be a Squamish legend one day! cheers
Richi

by jtorva » Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:13 am

I have a 9.5 sail for those super light days, just need to find a board to suit. I've been up and planning in 7knots with that sail and a 32" roberts I used to have.

Options for me include sailing out of the marina at Harrison (close to town) and doing weekend camping trips at bear creek (up the lake a ways on an FSR).
Jordan
jtorva

Next

Return to General