Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Thanks Francis and Check your Wing Leashes!

Off Topic Comments, Help, Tips and Trick

by BigD » Thu May 20, 2021 12:05 am

Francis saved my brand new Duotone Echo Wing from certain death and me from a very long swim. I owe you huge, thanks for the save! Beers on me.

Long version is posted on BWD but basically my wing leash detached way out by the freighters and the wing flipped and flipped downwind way out of swimming distance. Francis managed to grab it before it hit a freighter and he waited patiently for me to swim for 10 or more minutes to get to him.

Hero move buddy thanks!

Also props to the female windsurfer that let the rescue boat know I was down a wing. They came to check on me as I was heading back to shore for a long and well deserved walk of shame.
BigD

by raquo » Thu May 20, 2021 3:19 am

Glad you're fine! What was wrong with the leash? Did it break somehow?
raquo

by Francis » Thu May 20, 2021 7:45 am

Hey Men, I’m glad you’re ok. That’s what we do, look up for each other.
I was just there on a right time. I tried to tie it to my board so I can sail it to you, too bad 5ft rope wasn’t long enough, it was getting to my sail. I should double the length. See you on the water again, cheers
Francis

by Michael » Thu May 20, 2021 7:47 am

BigD wrote:Francis saved my brand new Duotone Echo Wing from certain death and me from a very long swim. I owe you huge, thanks for the save! Beers on me.

Hey Dallas, I know that feeling, that sudden sense of panic as your wing takes flight on its own! There is no stopping those things once they have tasted freedom. Luckily Francis was there to grab it! Mine was rescued by Doug and Igor's Sprinter van. :D Glad you got it back and made it in OK. Super fun though isn't it!
Michael

by BigD » Thu May 20, 2021 8:23 am

raquo wrote:Glad you're fine! What was wrong with the leash? Did it break somehow?

Nothing broke, I had just bought the wing the day before and the leash was already connected to the wing so I didn't look if the velcro was solidly attached. I still don't know if the velcro system failed and came apart or if it was not attached correctly.

I always bring my cellphone in a waterproof pouch, I had it out to call Jericho rescue when help arrived.
BigD

by Richi » Thu May 20, 2021 11:03 am

I had my wing board get away from me a few weeks ago, user error on attaching my leash. An old guy on a wooden sailboat, went and picked it up and sailed it back to me. It’s amazing how the water community really helps each other out, too bad it’s not more like that on land.
Thanks for the reminder, I need to write my name and number on my board and wing!
Richi

by Slappy » Thu May 20, 2021 2:10 pm

I'm curious how well this works

as double leashes seems like it would be very annoying. Of course if your wing leash comes off and you get separated from your board you are then swimming all the way in.
Slappy

by Richi » Thu May 20, 2021 2:35 pm

I tried that, but wasn’t making ground on the board. Will have to practice my technique.
Richi

by adam2 » Thu May 20, 2021 4:04 pm

I just don't understand the big deal with leashes, they may be hassle the first 30s before you're up and flying but no way is it worth losing your board by going without one. My board would have been lost ages ago multiple times over. Kitefoiling has shown me how fast an unleashed board can rip downwind when unattended. I think Gunnar's technique is only useful if you own a board company.
adam2

by juandesooka » Sun May 23, 2021 1:03 pm

adam2 wrote:I just don't understand the big deal with leashes, they may be hassle the first 30s before you're up and flying but no way is it worth losing your board by going without one. My board would have been lost ages ago multiple times over. Kitefoiling has shown me how fast an unleashed board can rip downwind when unattended. I think Gunnar's technique is only useful if you own a board company.

X2...it is a helpless feeling to watch your board foiling away without you. A board leash is a non-issue after about halfway through the 1st session. Like a surfboard leash.

It seems irresponsible and possibly reckless for advanced riders to be pushing no board leash. After seeing the level of stupid at times with new kiters, a wing newb is going to follow this bad advice and get themselves in trouble, if they can't swim well, don't understand ocean currents, etc.

For Gunnar's technique, reports I've read online, people have said they can just barely keep up with board. Others say it works for them. I haven't practiced it, but I think it works a lot better in stronger wind. Though that technique will likely help if your leash breaks and you have to swim in.
juandesooka

Next

Return to General