Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Gary Point Park Site Info Discussion

Off Topic Comments, Help, Tips and Trick

by mjamero » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:26 pm

I was at Gary Point Park this weekend for a walk and it looked excellent! It was blowing a steady moderate south to southeast and was totally flat (which I like!). From the shore it looked like perfect 7.8 - 8.6 slalom conditions.

For moderate conditions how is Gary Point? I know some of you sail there but I get the impression only infrequently when it's cranking. I live in Richmond and am wondering if Gary Point would be a good backup to English Bay in the spring/summer. English bay is good on SW - NW but it doesn't always blow that direction.

I assume most people launch from either the 1st beach closest to the marina or the 2nd just around the corner? There is a third beach but has piles in the way.

There is a nice open area there to rig and to sail, good parking, beach access, restrooms. The breakwater makes nice flat water in moderate conditions.

Biggest concerns:
1. Currents. Particularly on an ebb tide when the river and tides are flowing the same direction.
2. Debris
3. Boat traffic. It seems less busy than Jericho on a summer weekend. Especially if there is a JCSA regatta going on. Seems to be enough room for smaller vessels. Bigger vessels are easily spotted at a distance

I don't think I would sail Garry Point when it's cranking. Not my cup of tea. But, for light to moderate days how would it be? Any of you sail there regularly? Interested to know your thoughts, experience, tips, warnings at this location.
Last edited by mjamero on Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mjamero

by Pavel » Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:46 pm

Also if someone has sailed at the river mouth next to Terra Nova, would be good info. Always windy there...
Pavel

by ShonanDB » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:43 pm

A couple of us sail Gary Point on WNW to NW days especially at or near low tide. I usually launch from the 2nd beach and it's sailable at all tide heights but the waves/rollers are best at low tide. Mini Gorge like conditions but it can be choppy and the current can get up to 8 knots.

I've looked at the Terra Nova side across from the airport but unless it's high tide, it is much narrower and shallower (smaller waves/rollers) compared to Gary Point Park.

Darrell
ShonanDB

by mjamero » Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:43 pm

Pavel wrote:Also if someone has sailed at the river mouth next to Terra Nova, would be good info. Always windy there...

Hi Pavel! Based on observations from the shore at Gary Point yesterday I would say conditions were absolutely ideal.

I'm looking at Google now using it's ruler. Terra Nova Park is a significantly narrower channel than Gary Point. The distance from Terra Nova to Swishswash Island is only 130-200 meters at best. That's very narrow. If you crossed Swishswash and sailed the North side there is more like 250m between it and the Airport. Still very tight. Anywhere outside that area you are going to have to deal with that estuary tidal zone (a potentially long muddy walk). The good news from a safety standpoint is the Coastguard hovercraft station is RIGHT there! The hovercraft station is also there because a hovercraft is the only vehicle that can really deal with that estuary tidal zone. Terra Nova could be an interesting site if blowing north/south. You'd be able to rip east/west up and down the river (provided you don't interfere with the south terminal and float planes). I think the stars would have to align for that setup though.

Gary Point point on the other hand has MUCH more room. Using the Google Earth ruler it is 800 meters at it's narrowest from the second beach to the opposite breakwater and 1700 meters diagonally southeast past the breakwater to the opposite shore (The point of Westham Island). That is ample space and 10x what is available at Terra Nova. It appears to be minimally affected by tides. It looks like an easy launch from the second beach and there are plenty of amenities. My biggest concern would be currents. However, I can't see it be any worse than the Columbia. Sail with a buddy I'd say and play your emergency exits just in case?

With that said. For safety, what are your exits and worse case scenarios at Gary Point? Is there any significant concern of drifting out in to the straight?
mjamero

by mjamero » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:13 pm

Here is a quick diagram of Gary Point Park so far. What else should be noted added?
Attachments
Garry Point Park.png
Garry Point Park.png (665.74 KiB) Viewed 7156 times
mjamero

by C36 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:51 pm

• Pretty sure Garry is spelled with two r's.
  • Beware of the red can on the far (south) side of the river - do not put yourself on the upriver side of it - heard tales of windsurfers getting their gear pinned up against cans in San Francisco Bay and the current is worse here from what I have seen (think sailing Rufus with all gates open at John Day Dam).
  • Not sure I would be taking big gear out there in light wind (I'm always very thankful to be back on land when I sail there).
  • One option to minimize the risk of getting pushed out into the straight would be to spend your time sailing upriver of the launch to give yourself some extra time to get back to the launch.
  • As for exit strategies there is walking home on the Iona Spit (aka the poo pipe) or the Duke Point Ferry.
C36

by ShonanDB » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:58 pm

I've sailed Gary Point for about 10 years now and average about 5 to 7 NW sessions a year (5.3 or smaller sails). I've only been pushed down river once and it was not an easy walk back along the spit. Blackberry bushes and large rocks line the spit with no real path to walk back along. The wind rarely shuts down quickly so you can usually get back in because you can pump to get on a wave face and get planing again. At high tide, the current is fairly slow and it tends to be just small rollers. When it's 25 knots plus and close to low tide, there is a mix of rollers and breaking faces up to chest high but the current is moving quickly.
Fun place but you need to sail aware with the boat traffic and debris in the water.
ShonanDB

Return to General