Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

SUP,Surf

When there's absolutely no wind

by C36 » Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:22 pm

S13 - SUP - Long Beach (2022 July 30)

Photo Shoot. We found sun peaking through a hole in the sky over Incinerator Rock. Took to the water with ULU and then ULU dawned fins and took some water shots. Another fun session and the sun was a bonus!

Gallery (to view as a slideshow click on the screen icon top right)

S14 - SUP - Cox Bay (2022 July 31)

Something. We opted for a road trip of surf checks after checking out the morning conditions at Cox Bay. Wick (rolly), Flo (no swell, but used the low tide to check out the new rock garden south of the stairs), North Chesterman (no swell), South Chesterman (not enough), before returning to Cox Bay. ULU went out but was had low expectation (as did I). This was exploded when he caught the largest wave of the trip and the mid-bombs kept coming!

S15 - windsurf - Long Beach (2022 July 31)

In between. We found sun peaking through a hole in the sky over Incinerator Rock, again. This time there was enough sea breeze to prevent ULU from SUPing and not enough for me to wave sail my windsurfing gear. So close – small south swell, mid-tide, and NW wind (just backed to early). Still nice to get wet trying! Easy prep dinner at Surfside Grill.

S16 - SUP - Cox Bay (2022 Aug 1)

Last one (for ULU). Quick morning session on ULU`s travel day. There was visibility and waves so the rest was up to us. Rides were had and smiles made! Nice way to cap off ULU`s stay.

Last edited by C36 on Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C36

by C36 » Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:57 pm

S17 - Cox Bay - SUP (2022 Aug 2)

Shopping. It was my last morning at Surf Grove. Surf didn’t look great at first, so cleared out the site and parked in the front lot for extra cars by 10 am. Did some surf shopping - North Chesterman (small and off shore), South Chesterman (south swell + wind chop), Rosie’s (clean rights), Cox Bay south end (big, clean, fat). I’d give it a B-. Thanks to ULU for lending me the Go Pro paddle mount so I could try a new camera angle. Last outdoor hot shower at Surf Grove just past noon might have been the best part!

North Chesterman

South Chesterman

Rosies Bay

Cox Bay

S18 - Long Beach (2022 Aug 2)

Golden. Picnic lunch in town. Pistachio gelato at Chocolate Tofino (no line up given the cool weather). Set up camp at Long Beach Campground. Stopped for a look-see at Incinerator Rock, but it looked a little iffy with the NW wind so checked out Flo first. Word in the parking lot was long waits for modest waves – I wasn`t so sure when I saw it from the viewing platform, but it was breaking close to shore and wind usually backs at Long Beach, right? So back to Incinerator it was. Once on the water I traded some waves with Ben. Some range in size and angle so both rights and lefts were on offer. This one turned into a super fun evening surf at Long Beach! One of the regulars had a cold so was watching and said it looked like it was “prefect” while I was out and swears I caught 50 waves!!! Sunset dinner atop Incinerator Rock was the icing on the cake for the day!

S19 - SUP – Florencia Bay (2022 Aug 3)

More than half way. Evening session at Flo with some of the locals. Tide was high and medium south swell made for some heavy (for me) waves in long cycles. Gradually came to terms with the main peak and worked my way to catching more than a few from more than half way up the beach between the stairs and the look-out. I still find this spot a touch sketchy at times on certain days. I found myself further north on one paddle back out than I would have liked passing over some of the bigger rocks in the rock garden (thanks to the high tide). On another paddle out I was just far enough south to creep out past the end of the break unscathed – the local to my left also let out a sigh of relief after the last wave passed! I was pleased with the progression tonight! Took advantage of the last campfire (restrictions starting tomorrow) to cook dinner over the open flame! Yum!

S20 - SUP - Flo (2022 Aug 4)

Mean spirited. I arrived for a repeat morning session, but the tide was mid (1 m lower than last night). A few looked, but most drove off. I was the only one out at first. The sets I saw from the viewing platform all looked pretty tame. Once down on the beach some heavier sets were rolling through and I just about aborted while trying to paddle to the outside. There were some potential consequences today. Kept at it and scored a few waves on the main peak and the second peak down (at the boiling rock). One other surfer joined me, and then quickly aborted for yoga on the beach as I exited. Photo shoot in the parking lot when I left. Bit of a shaky start to the day.

S21 - windsurf - South Chesterman (2022 Aug 4)

Solo (at first). Wind started to puff at the campground under the clearing sky so decided to check South Chesterman on the way into town. Arrived to find it was slog-n-ride wavesailing conditions for windsurfing gear already. Tide was low and flooding and wind usually picks up later in the day, but I decided to jump on the early stuff. François stopped by for a look-see on his way to work and mentioned there were some nice sets rolling through. I had the place all to myself at first (except for the novice surfers along the inside on the east half of the beach). The waves were clean, modest-sized south swell – most 1+ and done. Some offered up more. Wind was light at times and just right at others. Others soon joined in the fun and the swell got a little fat on the rising tide, but those with foils didn’t seem to mind. I must be getting better on my SUP as I was missing the higher number of turns and hits on each wave. Still awesome to get out wavesailing on windsurfing gear!

Three short sample videos

S22 - SUP - Long Beach (2022 Aug 5)

Fin test. OEM fins on the Hypernut came with four asymmetrical fins and were feeling slow (high-drag) on larger or faster waves. I decided to do a back-to-back fin test with some we had bought for Ethan`s shortboard (two asymmetrical and two foiled fins). Ethan`s fins set felt faster and looser (he may have lost them). Funny how quickly the waves melted away on the ebbing tide. Good testing conditions, but I need to try them in larger or faster waves now.

S23 - SUP - Long Beach + South Chesterman (2022 Aug 5)

1+1=1. Long Beach looked so inviting – long, clean, open waves that looked like Cox Bay on a “good day”. But I should have known better, once out on the water South Carolina John was calling them “mush burgers” even though he was repeatedly ripping them apart. Between the wind, wind chop, and fast waves I was burning a lot of energy and not catching many waves. I was exiting when I saw John rip another left and that motivated me to give it another try – big mistake using someone very skilled as your benchmark. OK, that was it.

Pulled the plug and headed for South Chesterman to make sure I hadn’t missed out. Paddled for about an hour in the warm evening sunshine, but same story of frustrating set-up and limited rides – far from the classic small punchy wave small south swell can offer here.

These two tries are counted as one session as I left my wetsuit on during the drive up (BWD crew rules).

S24 - SUP - Long Beach (2022 Aug 6)

Last dance. Super warm, clear, dry morning made to easy to take down and pack up the tent dry. Chatter on the beach was this morning was similar to last night (bad). Lots of locals on the peak off Incinerator Rock too. Still decided to give it a go before driving up to Cox Bay (Plan B, if needed). But once on the water it was a gem! Just enough size and shape today to offer up way more rides that losses! Super fun glassy waves! Had my fill and then took getting rolled after the drop on a set wave as my queue to start driving. Great session to end the trip on!

C36

Previous

Return to SUP and Surfing