Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

SUP,Surf

When there's absolutely no wind

by C36 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:19 pm

S1 – wavesailing – Long Beach (2021Sept 12)

Rolling thunder. Rain in Burnaby, sun on the ferry crossing the Georgia Straight. Teasing wind at Pipers. No closure at Kennedy Curves (Sunday). NW wind on Kennedy Lake but trees were all still at Green Point. Decided to set-up camp then hit the beach, noticed wind in the trees on the highway driving straight to Incinerator about 4 pm. Saw Jesse out just north of Lufkin playing in the waves – it’s on! Snapped a couple of shots while I rigged. Conditions made for the high water mark session of the summer for me – solid waves and enough wind to make it work. A little gusty (only got thrown over the font once) but usually enough wind when you needed it to catch a wave or get out of the way in times of need. Caught some healthy ones, glad they had shoulders (likely long period west swell) as I got in too deep on one (late bottom turn) but was able to pop out to the shoulder and enjoy a few more turns. Waves were pretty smooth for the most part (only bounced out of bottom turn once). Given the size of the set waves there was some moments where it felt like there might be consequences, but thankfully there wasn't. Once back on the beach got several compliments like, ‘It looked like you two windsurfing were having fun!’ First campfire of the summer back at Green Point (staff said it they were allowed starting about two days ago).

Gallery (to view as a slideshow click on the screen icon top right)

S2 – SUP – Cox Bay (2021Sept 13)

Long Beach
I really thought I would be going out here when I took this picture and then there was nothing – nobody was getting rides.

Tour. Surf checks at Wick (jumbled), Flo (small beach break), Long Beach (clean but lots of lullage and inconsistent), and Cox Bay (more size, clean and workable).

Cox Bay

Word from the water was “small, but fun’ – that sounded encouraging. Tried point, first peak, middle peak, and Land O’ and was rewarded with rides at all spots. Size was variable making positioning a little tricky so I held outside and targeted the larger waves. When I headed in one surfer commented that ‘you really get around on that thing’ (pointing to the spots I had been up and down the beach). Fun exploring and getting some rides (both rights and lefts), but a bit of mixed bag (for me).

Last edited by C36 on Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C36

by C36 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:10 pm

S3 – SUP – Long Beach (2021 Sept 14)

Slate. After looking at the pictures again from the Long Beach look-see yesterday I began to second guess myself and thought it best to give Long Beach a shot on the evening high tide (tide was wrapping Incinerator Rock when I arrived with an hour to go to high slack). It looked clean, but modest and a little bit closey-outie, but wanted when to test it out. It turned out to be a bit of this and that. That trench and the high outside sandbar off Incinerator continues to make that peak close-out – although I saw one skilled surfer on a mal make it look easy as he floated the lip. Started there, but no love for me. The second peak yielded more fun (both rights and lefts). The peak at Lot 4 was even better again (more power and more shoulders). This was when I saw the first of the crew of four celebrating `let the fun out Mondays` (5:30 pm every Monday at Long Beach to raise awareness for mental health) – he was dressed like a super hero (silver reflective top and shiny purple pants) – at first I thought `Nanmoo must be here!`, but when he got closer as he ripped along the wave I saw it wasn`t. Later saw two of the others as well – fuzzy pink shark, girl-Incredible – fun stuff for a great cause! While I was down there I also checked out what all the fuss was about at Lufkin (big pack of surfers milking the steady left - too bad the right was so short). So headed back north as the swell and daylight both faded on the switching tide. Beautiful evening, warm water and slate grey flat light. Dinner at the campo with campfire to warm my bones.

S4 - SUP – South Chesterman

Fun. Tsawwassen wanted a SUP warm up session so after a tour of surf checks we decided on South Chesterman. There were only three of out so we had the run of the beach. We started off on the smaller stuff near Frank Island and worked our way down the beach just in time for the south swell to arrive and there were a few bombs! After riding the first one of a set in I turned around just in time to see Tsawwassen drop into a double overhead monster! WooHoo!!! Worked our way back toward Frank Island for the cool-down and ended the session on a double-up party wave. Fun session and great way for Tsawwassen to start his trip! Site inspection in Ukee was followed by campfire side dinner at the campo.

S5 - wavesailing - South Chesterman (2012 Sept 15)

Wind power. Tsawwassen and I chatted about plans for the day – he was interested in heading south to Ukee to run errands and my intuition said head up to South Chesterman for an early look-see. I arrived about noon and it was on already – like solid 22 mph on with rolling fun-sized south swell on! Shot a text to Tsawwassen and Redbaron and they came up as well (Redbaron thought Long Beach might be a better option later it he day). There were kites, five windsurfers (Redbaron, Twassassen, Tommy, François, and myself) and one guy from Maui killing it on a wing! Got a little `busy` later in the day, but most played nice. Wind was solid (it was the power four hours) and kept building and waves were fun-sized with some larger sets (one macker took me out way out near the Frank monster). Most waves stayed open inviting multiple-hit rides and they got better on the rising tide. Only a few surfers taking lessons on the inside (not sure what that surf school was thinking). Lots of stoke on the water and big glowing heart-warming smiles on the beach!

We arrived at Long Beach to the sight of big sand-sucking barrels and pretty light wind. Hmmmm. Redbaron was the only one who took to the water at Long Beach (although Tsawwassen wanted to take out his wing, but Redbaron thought that was a bad plan). Waves were caught!

S6 - SUP - Wick (2021 Sept 16)

Tinies south. Demoed the Quattro Pro 8`x 28.5`x 109 litres courtesy of the http://www.dirtymermaidwatersports.ca – thanks Jesse! After shopping around for waves – Flo (clean, but modest), Wick (off-shore wind and clean with size), Long Beach (onshore wind and unsettled) – we decided on Wick for variety in size (small, medium, and large all at one location). This proved to be a great decision! First we compared the two boards (HyperNut 7’4” and Quattro Pro 8’) on land – some similarities (swallow tail, tail rails) and some differences (longer, narrower, lighter, tri fin versus quad).

After comparing the two boards on land we took to the water starting with the small waves first – The Quattro Pro felt like it had some more glide, but the Hypernut was a bit looser on the small waves.

In the medium waves the differences narrowed. Lots of round waves missed in the rip, but an equal amount caught on each board with similar ride feel.

The larger waves had shoulders and the peak off Lot C was offering up long, clean, open waves that could be ridden all the way to sand at the Visitor Centre parking lot, if you choose to (with a second reform push on the inside) - this made for some of my longest rides ever! Tsawwassen dropped into a bomb for his first ride and there were many more! In the large waves the Quattro Pro came alive – fast, smooth, and loose on the inside reform too – a real performer! The conditions made it fairly easy to get out and cycle on the outside for the most part (although it got a little meaner later on the dropping tide). I felt like I caught some of my personal best larger wave rides on the Quattro Pro – part of it was the conditions (comparable to south swell day at the Cape or Tinnies), but part of it was the board for sure (ability to connect sections with speed and control). Super fun!!!

After some frustration mid-session in the medium waves in the rip, the big stuff proved to be epic – one of the best SUP sessions for both Tsawwassen and I. Turns out South Island Derek was out there too and all smiles when we chatted in the parking lot, ‘Enjoying the last of the south swell for this year!’ Awesome way to spend the day and great way to cap the Tofino leg of the September Sessions trip!

S7 – windsurfing – Columbia Beach (2021 Sept 17)

Liquid sunshine. Overnighted at Rathtrevor Park to make for an early arrival, but the wind had other ideas so I used the time to catch up on session logs. Took to the water about 1 pm when the wind kicked in. The swell built fast and almost from the start the early birds were catching smooth down-the-line rides. Udderland was pumping and wind breathed throughout the day but nothing to crazy (lull or gust). Always great to see the mutts! Tons of stoke at the beginning of the `fall` sailing season, despite the driving rain. Big shout out to DavidM who answered the call for a small board when I saw the forecast upgrade to a lot of 30 mph (when all I had was my Tofino quiver of 116 and 92 with me) – many thanks! In the end I was able to make my 4.5/92 work all day, but it was comforting knowing I had a smaller back-up. Nice to see the latest two mutts – AJ and David MH. Also great to see Kus out on the water ripping around. Last session in an action packed week from coast to coast on the island! Fun sharing most of the trip with Tsawwassen, the stowaway mouse in my van not so much.

Last edited by C36 on Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
C36

by C36 » Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:02 pm

SB1 – Cox Bay (2022 Mar 16)

Travel day. Up at 5 am. 7:25 am sailing. Roadside lunch in PA. Surf check at Wick – some bombs rolling through from the south. Long Beach looked modest and unsettled in comparison. Checked in, got settled and then took to water and got tumbled. Multiple swells caused crossing waves. Lots of moving and surging. Made it to the outside a couple of times, but wondered if I was going to make it back in. Hard to stand and very tough to position. Paddled for a few, but no Bueno. No rides, just tumbles and swimming. Had my paddle ripped from my hands and was glad to catch it again! Got a few tummy rides on the foam piles. Water was cool, but not crazy cold. Glad I went out and tried, but it was pretty futile.

Gallery (click screen icon top right to view as a slideshow)

SB2 – North Chesterman (2022 Mar 16)

Surf checks at Cox Bay (big, unsettled, tons of white water), South Chesterman (onshore wind, unsettled), North Chesterman (some size, offshore wind, doable), MacKenzie (small), Middle Beach (just enough), and Tonquin (small). More consistent swell (size and direction). Some sets had girth, but it looked doable. Regular folk were getting rides. Started south of mid-beach and worked my way north. Still a fair amount of water moving around and got rolled off the board more than usual. Waves were a little fat on the outside so missed a fair number before dropping into the first, but it was a gem. Nice clean peeling right and I was right beside the peak. Caught a few more mid-beach. Size started to fade on the ebbing tide. That was a real session – waves caught and smiles had!

C36

by C36 » Sun Mar 20, 2022 4:22 pm

SB3 – North Chesterman (2022 Mar 18)

Similar to the day before but slightly smaller and slightly cleaner and more settled. Comfort, wave count and confidence all increased.

SB4 - mtb - Mt Ozzard - Rock Steady + Root Chute (Mar 19)

Opted for a mud surf today with a mountain bike ride on Mount Ozzard with Paige and James. Took the advice of one of the local riders and did Rock Steady and Root Chute. Definitely a different style of riding than the north shore. It was a treat to see the sun come out. Did some surf checks in the afternoon but just couldn’t find anything that was workable for me.

SB5 – North Chesterman (2022 Mar 20)

More of a GoPro 8 test than a real session as the wind went from zero to gusting 20 by the time I got to outside and the SUP started to get blown around. Could stand, but not position so pulled the plug. Impressed with the clarity and contrast of the new camera, but disappointed with the ‘try’. I would have been disappointed if I had not gone out, but that was a strange one.

C36

by C36 » Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:22 pm

First trip to the coast in a while and it was shortened on both ends, but still worth it. Scored both surf and turf!

S2 - WS+SUP - North Chesterman (2022 Jun 8)

Almost magical! Quick stop at Steve Smith Bike Park to check out the newly profiled dirt ramps – I was nervous they were tampering with a good/great thing, but it seems to have worked out. Wick was big and too unsettled for me to comfortably SUP. Similar story at Long Beach. Next stop was to set up camp before the atmospheric river hit. Arrived at the Chestermans to find enough wind and wave for wavesailing North – there was even the hint of evening sunshine! By the time I got rigged and on the water there was still enough wind to get out (just), but frustratingly not enough to catch anything meaningful on the way in – sooooooooooo close to being a magical session!

Plan B – grabbed the SUP and joined François (long board) in a fun surf session! We had the place to ourselves! Both rights and lefts were presented and ridden! The conditions did glass off and seemed to build on the flooding tide! In hindsight I should have done a wind/wave check at North Chesterman before setting up camp (silly me). But then again maybe François and I did get some/most of the magic!

S3 - SUP - North Chesterman (2022 Jun 10)

Second round. Unfortunately I never took to the water the next day as the SE wind and mixed swell stirred things up and the combination of too much/too sloppy wave and not enough wind made for ‘storm watching’ instead of playtime. The exception was North Chesterman that looked doable, but really thumpy on the lower tide. Friday was a new day with new energy – no rain and better set up (waves were staying open a little longer again at North Chesterman), so grabbed one more session before travelling back to the east side.

S4 - MTB - Mount Tzouhalem (2022 Jun 11)

Turf. The Mount Tzouhalem recon trip was a success!!! The mini-crew of three sampled some old trails (Rocky Mountain Ridge, Resurrection), some old trails ridden in new ways as climbing trails (Schools Out, Chicken Run), and some new school flow trails (Fluid, Double D). Super fun to revisit an old spot, experience the quiet beauty and spectacular views of this special mountain, sample a mix of trails (climbing, tech, flow), tackle a few new-to-us-features, and share it with others! Thanks to Paige and James for committing to this one. Looking forward to sharing this spot with a bigger crew soon!

C36

by gabrielb » Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:34 pm

C36, it looks great!
I prefer cloudy weather than sunshine in the afternoon with all the reflection.

BC ferries is still having the super saver early mornings and night sailing (Tsaw-Duke) for $40 (1 driver + car), both ways, booking fee included.
The drive to the ferry may cost more than the ferry! that's a first. :shock:
gabrielb

by C36 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:27 pm

S1 - MTB Westwood (2022 July 23)

ImageImage

One day more. The plan was to drive through to Tofino on Saturday, but the Saturday wind was light at Pipers, and the Sunday forecast was for “more”. So delay a day it was. Decided to go for a quick mountain bike ride to enjoy the afternoon and followed the advice of DavidM and Udder and opted for a ride in the shade at Westwood. Fun spin in the woods!

S2 - windsurf - Pipers (2022 July 24)

Late. Pipers did happen, once the marine layer burned off the straight. Once the wind kicked it sounded stronger than big gear wind in the parking lot, but I followed the locals and gave the big stuff a try (6.1/116/26) – one ride out and one ride right back to the beach for one size smaller (sail and fin – 5.3 and 23 cm). I was happy to be on this set-up as the board feels way more lively! A nice power-hour treat! Solid wind and some roll to the water too! Fun sailing and chatting with the Piper’s crew!

S3 - SUP - Florencia (2022 July 24)

Sunset. Ran a couple of errands in Port Alberni then did surf checks at Wick (rolly and a touch wind blown) and Flo (small, but clean and workable). The couple at the viewing platform at Flo said they had just come from Long Beach and it was “flat” – one said “give Flo a go” and the other said “go” – go they went. The daylight was burning, so Flo it was for me. Sun, and small, well-shaped, clean waves made for a wonderfully playful evening cool down session! Great welcome (back) to the coast!

S4 - SUP - Long Beach (2022 July 25)

Blue bird. Awoke to blue bird clear skies and decided to ponce on the opportunity for a morning session at Long Beach. Small, but glassy and all to myself at first. Chatter on the beach was the trenches of the last summer had filled in with sand for a flatter beach profile but all of the decent waves seemed to breaking north of Incinerator Rock last week. This proved true once on the water – there were phantom peaks mid beach, but the waves melted away once in the deeper water inside the outer sandbar. Wetsuits were optional (for the brave at heart). Great way to start the day!

Surf checks at Cox (more size and power and planed to return for an evening session, but it was all foam piles when I went back on the slack mid tide), South Chesterman (some wave in the cove), and North Chesterman (nothing).

Last edited by C36 on Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.
C36

by C36 » Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:15 pm

S5 – SUP Cox Bay (2022 July 26)

Bigger. Cox looked much cleaner and although dawn patrol leaving the water said there were some big sets rolling through there was also some lullage so getting out was pretty easy. The NW swell favoured the south end of the bay. There were some larger sets rolling through but they were soft until they weren’t making for a high ratio of misses to rides. But those caught were fun! Gentle giants as Jesse would say. Great way to start the day!

S6 – SUP Long Beach (2022 July 26)

Cool down. High today was 25 – 30 with the humidex but it felt cool after the intense heat yesterday. Long Beach cleaned up nicely for the evening session and some of the NW swell was showing itself at Long Beach too (there must have been some W in it). Friendly group of mainly locals riding longboards and mids just out from Incinerator. Lots of rides and lots of smiles. Wetsuits optional again tonight. I felt over-dressed in a 2 mm short sleeve. Dinner cooked in the parking lot and ate at sunset on the beach. Great cool-down – air temp and evening session!

S7 – SUP Wickininnish (2022 July 27)

South swell. Moving day – packed up and headed for an upgrade. Cooked French Toast at the campsite in the fog which was a welcome break from the intense heat of the sun. Then off to Wick to hide from the south wind. Arrived to find decent looking playful swell. It felt like NW swell but the surfing instructor from Ukee said was the beginning of the south swell, it just morning sickness while it settles in. Fun way to start the day. I stopped at Flo for a look-see on the way out and it definitely looked like south swell there – long lines filling the bay.

Last edited by C36 on Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
C36

by C36 » Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:31 pm

S8 - SUP - Cox Bay (2022 July 28)

One of each. Up early and Cox Bay was worth it, but I was curious to see what Rosies and South Chesterman looked like so kept walking. Rosies looked dumpy with one skilled surfer on a SUP made it look good with great timing and skill. I kept walling up South Chesterman and saw one set of south swell light up the west end of the beach like a point break – that looked like fun! Problem was by the time I got out on the water I caught the last wave of the next set and then nothing. One and done. I paddled back down to Rosies and repeated. One and done. Back to Cox back for a sampler on the all the peaks – wave count went way up. That was better!

S9 - SUP - Florencia Bay (2022 July 28)

About 50. Stopped at Long Beach and it looked good for wind-SUP until the wind shut off. Headed further south to give Flo a try for the evening session. Parking was overflowing onto the on the access road. The south swell was coming in sets about every 15 minutes. I counted about 50 surfers in the line-up on the peak. It was busy but still caught a few thanks to taking a few of the smaller inside rides and working the second peak on a few of the larger ones. The shore break was a little thumpy and took a few on the head on the inside too. Glad I made the trip south!

S10 - SUP - Cox Bay (2022 July 29)

ULU. After comparing notes on surf checks early on ULU decided to join me at Cox Bay. Waist-to-chest high for the most part, but a few slightly larger too. There was even a party wave with ULU! Fun in the sun!

Last edited by C36 on Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C36

by C36 » Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:11 pm

S11 – SUP – Long Beach (2022 July 29)

Sun. Fog had rolled into Cox Bay so ULU did a grocery run and I did a surf check at Long Beach. Chatter on the beach was it had been foggy all day but the fog was starting to thin. The sun revealed glassy swell and long rights above Incinerator Rock. I texted ULU and started to get ready. I was a touch nervous as the swell had some size – particularly mid-beach between Incinerator Rock and Lovekin Rock. But the swell backed a little making for a pretty mellow glassy mini-south swell session. Fun in the afternoon sun!

S12 – SUP – Cox Bay (2022 July 30)

Morning. Pre-breakfast session with the sun burning off the last of the fog just as we took to the water. There was a lot of flotsam and jetsam (weeds and sea foam) floating around in the middle of the bay so we paddled down to the south end of the bay grabbing lefts. Then we worked our way north and grabbed some rights. Lots of choices and lots of rides. ULU seemed to think his trip was worth it, already. Fun morning!

C36

PreviousNext

Return to SUP and Surfing