Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

SUP,Surf

When there's absolutely no wind

by gabrielb » Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:55 pm

Slappy,
With the surf group we had sessions last Friday,ssw at 7 km west of WR. Yesterday sesion at WB was 2-430pm. Today only one guy went 730-9am.

The English Bay buoy was at 1.4m at 1am with no local wind. That's an exceptionm=== head high surf.
We communicate with whatsApp, Slappy if you want to be in the group just send me a PM. We are like 10 in that group... enough info. That I don't drive to flat water anymore, Kd has taken local surf to an art, so that we only drive when surf and sensors have the numbers.
Adam, George, KD, Roy, Sergei, C36, DB, Milton, a few more.
gabrielb

by C36 » Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:34 am

S1 – SUP – Long Beach (Jul 1)

Orange is the new red. Canada Day 2021. Full circus at the 8:45 sailing from Horseshoe Bay, but made it on with a reservation. Quick stop at Cameron Lake – water was super warm – I guess 40 degree heat will do that. Ethan enjoyed the beef burrito from Porto Taco – said it was the highlight of his day. Lot of orange shirts including those hanging in the trees on Highway 4 west of Port Alberni. Did a few quick surf checks and campsite checks (for future reservations) but decided to set-up camp and opted to set-up camp and aim for the evening glass off due to the onshore wind. Lots of stuff open again – showers at Long Beach Campground and Incinerator parking lot. Seemed a treat to be there again – parking, rigging with a view! Not a big fan of more pavement and less green though. Not quite a full glass off (some of the onshore wind lingered), but the conditions were gentle, playful and fun! Warm water, sunshine and singular background south swell made for easy paddles out and clean, predictable chest-high targets. Slack high-tide seemed to make the wave steep enough to catch even when not entirely in the right position. Got one nice open three-hit right that made the whole day worthwhile. Not epic, but very nice! Great to back on the island again!

Gallery (to view as a slideshow click on the screen icon top right)

S2 – SUP – Long Beach (Jul 2)

Wyndansea. Second round same as the first, just a little rollier, windier, cooler, and frustrating – at first. Decided on a exploring Wyndansea after a round of surf checks – North Chesterman (flat), South Chesterman (only the pocket working), Cox Bay (modest and BUSY), Wick (confused and dumpy), Flo (parking lot circus). After exploring decided on Long Beach. Glad I start on my go-to board (AllWave 120 8’3” x 31”) as it was a challenging set-up and would not have been a fair baptismal ride on my new-to-me HyperNut 106 (7’4” x 30”). Looked good from the beach but the side-onshore wind and current was stirring things up and was combined with a mixed swell (direction and size). The wind started to puff up to the point I was headed in to grab a rig to SUP sail and then it glassed off. Time to try to the Hypernut – paddled out better than what I was expecting and was fun on the wave (allowed for a couple of late drops, agile, and had lots of drive in the mush even when the wave didn’t). Salmon burgers, French beans, and salad sunset dinner at the campground.

C36

by C36 » Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:41 am

S3 – SUP – Long Beach (Jul 3)

Curtain Walls. Morning errands in Tofino. Long Beach parking lot was Christmas shopping crazy busy (dozen of people circulating looking for spaces) so we decided to head south to Wick for a surf check – open spots but looked pretty rolly. We decided on a mid-day hike to South Beach – exploring on the low tide and saw seals and a young black bear. Late afternoon session at Long Beach that saw the wave size increase once we took to the water but there weren`t many shoulder amongst the collapsing curtain walls. Funny Ethan said, “Your (new) board looks like its underwater!”, when he saw me paddling out. Even though there was some wind, roll, and current I could still manage the HyperNut – most of the time. More work today, but still some fun moments. Great to see Ethan score a few rides today!

C36

by C36 » Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:52 am

S4 – SUP – Florencia (Jul 4)

Jelly. After a mid-day round of surf checks decided on Florencia with a little help from a local – I was convinced, but Ethan needed to hear him say, “Just go!”. I was tempted to take the AllWave (relaxing and less work), but opted for the HyperNut again. Ethan and I traded and sadly he didn’t like the HyperNut (now named Perry) and said, “It feels like a boogie board and doesn’t do anything well!” – I told him he will have to give it a second try. Wind protected and some gurth, but some lullage too. Sunshine at first (silly me hadn’t hit the shutter so the best shots never happened), then some high cloud/marine layer. Still lots of rides to be had despite tourists being tourists (dropping in front, and some dropping in from behind and overtaking). Even a dounut-sized clear jelly washed up onto my board and caught a ride too. Still fun and held Ethan’s attention for more than a couple of hours. Dinner at the campground and got the dishes finished before dark!

C36

by gabrielb » Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:16 am

Dave,
a glassy session and a nice meal after, can't get any better... Ethan will be ripping heavy surf in no time + cross-training will make everything heal faster. :geek:
gabrielb

by Michael » Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:23 pm

C36 wrote:Ethan and I traded and sadly he didn’t like the HyperNut (now named Perry) and said, “It feels like a boogie board and doesn’t do anything well!” – I told him he will have to give it a second try.

Hey Dave glad to see you're having fun back on the coast. Tell Ethan he's using it wrong! :lol:
Michael

by C36 » Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:10 pm

S1 - windsurf - China Creek (2021 Jul 23)

Light. One night at China Creek on the way to Tofino and it was foil weather, again. I rigged for what looked like might be the power-half-hour, but it wasn’t. Pretty spot. Still nice to get wet. Sounds like the salmon were running.

S2 - wavesailing - Long Beach (2021 Jul 24)

Dropping-in. Errands in Port Alberni. Timed the top-of-the-hour release at Kennedy Hill construction on Highway 4 well. Surf checks at Flo, Wick and Long Beach. Set up camp at Surf Grove (bit of treat staying somewhere so plush). Then checked South Chesterman and there was wind and interest (two kites out on 12 m and 8 m and others pumping 17 m. 11 m and 8 m; one winging, and one windsurfing foil). Didn’t look like there was enough for 6.1/116 and it was FLAT, so opted for Long Beach (graph showed 20 mph at the airport and there was some swell when we passed by earlier. Incinerator parking lot was packed when I arrived, but one spot magically opened and I thought it’s a sign that this is the place to be. Joined François out on the water for some mini-wave sailing! Modest and dumpy on the low tide, but still super fun to drop-in to some ground swell and get a few turns! More fun than the river in Squamish. Salmon burgers and salad at the campsite and sunset walk on the beach. Full day!

S3 - SUP - Cox Bay (2021 Jul 25)

Glamping. Was hoping Cox Bay would clean up overnight but there was still an on-shore breeze at dawn and it looked a little rolly and mushy and I just about didn’t go. Compromised and took the AllWave out to make it an relaxing session. Glad I did go out. On the 0.1 m slack low tide you could walk out to the break at the tip of Pettinger Point. I was planning to paddle around into Rosie’s Bay but it looked crumbly and offering lefts. The clean rights off Pettinger Point in Cox Bay were far more appealing! Beautiful watching the backlight waves from behind in the low dawn light as others got treated to clean rides! That was a super fun session as the onshore wind backed and it cleaned up. Fresh water showers at the beach and hose to rinse your gear off, hot water outdoor ‘wetsuit’ showers, modern washrooms, power/water/wi-fi at the site - I could get used to staying here.

C36

by C36 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:09 pm

S4 - wavesailing - Long Beach (2021 July 25)

Hunting. Once again Long Beach had more wind then South Chestermans – odd. Gusty wind, wind chop and small swell made for a lot of time hunting phantom swell – like the Cape on a small day but sans the ‘hate’. Second consecutive day of wavesailing at Long Beach so I’ll take it. Good tacking, positioning, timing practice. Saw Jesse teaching a windsurfing lesson above Lufkin and both he and the student have my respect for their determination for making it work in such challenging conditions. Dinner of marinated chicken, rice and seasoned French beans at the campsite.

S5 - SUP - Cox Bay (2021 July 26)

I’m in. From the first sight of the break this morning through the fog I knew it was a “go” – saw a clean waist-high runner peeling left. Small, but glassy, clean and fun. Enough variation to the size and often modest size made for more than a few target waves getting missed. Started at Pettinger Point, then Long Beach Lodge peak, then ended with a long ride at Land ‘O. The fog even burned off while I was out there. Super fun way to start to the day!

S6 - SUP - Cox Bay (2021 July 26)

Andrea surfs. Three days here and Andrea decided today was the day to take to the water – sun: check, small surf: check, felt warm: check. Walked south below all the lessons and choose a nice small consistent wave. Andrea did well – caught some rides, kept warm and enjoyed getting salty.

Last edited by C36 on Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C36

by C36 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:57 am

S7 - SUP - South Chestermans (2021 July 27)

Steep. I really wanted to SUP the cleaner south swell, so opted for South Chesterman even though it looked a little modest. Took Perry (the Hypernut) to see how he would perform in the small stuff. Generally small with some larger sets showing up about every 15-20 minutes. Wind picked up enough to make it an energy suck to SUP so lingered as I was hoping for some evening wind, but it backed. One kiter did an evening downwinder on foil from South Chestermans to Cox Bay after I arrived back at Surf Grove. Still a fun way to celebrate my birthday!

S8 - SUP - Cox Bay (2021 July 28)

Bluebird. Awoke to bluebird sky and a crisp 10 degrees. Even though the mid-tide ebbing swell didn’t look great from the beach I decided to give it a go. I took out the AllWave as it looked a little rolly. Some nice clean open waves in Land ‘O and some really nice rights that started with a push and ran to the beach at the break right out front. Guy on the 5’5” shortboard was killing it – throwing buckets on his top turns above his head! Amazing given how little power the waves had. Fun way to start the day!

S9 - wavesailing - Long Beach (2021 July 28)

Blend. Andrea flew back to the city freeing up my day (in hindsight this was a great decision). Did my errands in town and resupplied before the long weekend rush. Wind/surf check at South Chesterman around 2 pm - it was light and flat. Saw the graph at Long Beach was gusting over 20 mph and decided that was a better choice. Got a parking space at the south end of Incinerator parking lot. After a quick chat with Matt and one of the other summertime locals rigged my 116/5.3. Warm 23 degrees! Nice blend of more wind and more wave than the last time. Swell sized ranged and there was lots of lullage. Matt hesitated to rig, but did and scored his personal best wave ride! Stoked! There were a few gems for sure. Unfortunately, the best shots got missed as the Go Pro SD card was full – too busy to pull the other two sessions off first). One surfer paddled way outside and seemed to be watching us. Saw two deer on the airport access road, and both whales spouting and a giant orange jellyfish in the water at Long Beach. One winger took to the water. Glad Matt changed his mind, rigged and came out! Best of the bunch, so far.

Last edited by C36 on Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C36

by C36 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:04 am

S10 - SUP – Cox Bay/Rosie`s Bay (2021 July 29)

Kid’s stuff. Morning fog kept me off the water until the sun burned it off. Took to the water at low-slack tide of about a one meter. Swell was really small with the bonus of a fresh onshore wind and chop. Hid in the lee of Pettinger Point and caught a few rights. Then paddled around the ‘horn’ into Rosie’s Bay – not much except one nice clean right just north of the point. The larger background south swell sets and even they were one drop and closeout so paddled back to Cox Bay but by then waves at the point had melted away. Still nice to have a morning warm-up session.

S11 - wavesailing - Long Beach (2021 July 29)

Slog n’ Glide. Checked South Chestermans but it keeps turning me down - wind graph was stronger and there was more swell at Long Beach. Chatted with one happy winger from Nelson when I arrived at Long Beach and saw one sketchy kite launch (kiter was treated to two solid hip checks from the waves on the way out and the light, puffy wind cut his session short). High tide made for softer waves and larger rides. Slog n’ glide (backside riding) for the most part – just not enough wind to power up, so tacked up to Incinerator Rock from Lot 5. Got one fully spooled up down-the-line ride and on the third hit dropped into the water when I had outrun the wind on the inside. Mini swim was nice and refreshing in the warm temps. As I was walking my gear to the parking lot a woman asked if it was hard to learn and I said women learn easier than men as it is sport of technique and she paid me a compliment and said, “It looks like you knew what you were doing.”

Last edited by C36 on Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C36

PreviousNext

Return to SUP and Surfing