Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

New Buoys

When there's absolutely no wind

by Michael » Sat Dec 31, 2022 1:13 pm

keeldude wrote:There's another new buoy up in Boundary Bay funded by the City of Surrey...

Alton wrote:I took the liberty of adding a link to 604windswell under "Wind Sensors"

Thanks, Keeldude and Alton. This is going to help gauging those slightly off-shore wind days in Boundary bay and even those SSE days where you want to see what's happening in the middle of the bay, I spend a lot of time out there. :lol: :lol: :lol: Like yesterday when I kept thinking if I got out a little farther there would be more wind, which wasn't the case, it just made for a longer swim! :D Thanks guys!
Michael

by keeldude » Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:37 pm

Thanks for the link!

Hey keeldude

Is this the same source as Chalmers posted in Sep 2021 ?

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3995

Apparently it is! I missed the original memo.

Wouldn’t you know it, I put the original post on the forum 2 days ago and yesterday we found out that Surrey have renegotiated the maintainence contract for the sensor and NHC didn’t get it!

It would appear that Flow Works now has that contract, and the data is publicly accessible here https://www.flowworks.com/login

Password : surreyrain

It's definitely a bit clunky to drill down to the data which is why I was working on getting a data feed for the wave and wind data. The data source is typically posted 30min to occasionally 1.5hrs late, but it does provide 10 minute resolution.

My website has been down intermittently over the last couple days as I try to figure out all the edge-cases of weird or missing data.... bear with me!

https://604windswell.ca

There is indeed that other wind station right off crescent beach (500m offshore), which I'll update as well. It lists wave data as a parameter but isn't showing any data yet.

I plan on making better historical and searchable wind plots and making the website more navigable... its a bit dense with the raw numbers lol. And there are some neat links on the links section... Storm Surge BC and MeteoGrams wind and wave forecast. Env Can is now actually providing wave forecasts for English Bay and the Strait of Georgia. I guess they are still fine-tuning it, as they ought to publish the wave forecasts on their main Marine Text forecast.

Anyway happy new year!
keeldude

Previous

Return to SUP and Surfing