Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

New Buoys

When there's absolutely no wind

by keeldude » Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:10 pm

At least a month, I like to scan through and see when the next daytime low tide is coming and your graph is the best for that I've seen yet.

I aim to please :) I also plan to restore zooming and some plot interactivity on mobile. At the moment the graphs are static on small screens, and interactive on wide screens. I found that it was hard to scroll on mobile because touching the graph caused zooming rather than page scroll, but this can be modified. And also perhaps some minor gridlines on mobile

Could also create a search field for finding the next day with tides below a certain threshold. I do find that day time tides are higher in the winter months, possibly just due to less hours of daylight, but the low tide in Winter always seems to happen after midnight and before dawn rather than during the day.
keeldude

by Slappy » Sat Mar 12, 2022 1:03 pm

This is due to the fact that we live far North if the equator. The two tides are caused by the sun and the moon. The moon tide is more or less constant. The sun tide changes with our planets axial tilt through the seasons.
The way it’s tide effects earth is by pulling water towards both the closest point to the sun and the point on the exact opposite side of the planet.
During summer when we are tilted towards the sun that closest point happens during the day.
During the winter when we are tilted away from the sun that closest point never really gets close to us at all. Instead the opposite closest point comes close to us during the night.

This is why the only low tides you will find in the winter are at night and we are left with shitty reflected waves everywhere in winter sessions.
Slappy

by keeldude » Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:59 am

+1 on your tide theory, I have come to similar conclusions.

Tide forecast should now be up to 1 month lead time now. I plan to extend it further.

I am also happy to announce Safari support, so let me know if anyone has issues on any browser, mobile or otherwise.

https://604windswell.ca
keeldude

by keeldude » Tue Dec 27, 2022 1:40 pm

There's another new buoy up in Boundary Bay funded by the City of Surrey... its technically an ocean observation station mounted on a piling. does wind, tide, sea temp, swell, etc. Pretty much right in the middle of Boundary Bay on the Canadian side of the 49th parallel.

They've named it Crescent Pile / Boundary Bay since its mounted on a piling off Crescent Beach. There's another one in the Channel right at Crescent Beach but isn't reporting any wave data.

I think it will prove to be more reliable than the Southern Strait of Georgia Buoy for S and SW winds, as well as provide more accurate data for Boundary bay.

Posted it on my website at

https://604windswell.ca/
keeldude

by Mike » Sat Dec 31, 2022 7:47 am

keeldude wrote:There's another new buoy up ...Pretty much right in the middle of Boundary Bay on the Canadian side of the 49th parallel.

They've named it Crescent Pile / Boundary Bay since its mounted on a piling off Crescent Beach. There's another one in the Channel right at Crescent Beach but isn't reporting any wave data.

Thanks for sharing. It will be interesting over time to see if this provides more insight to the wind at White Rock. The thing I'm not sure of is where it's located. Is it in the middle of Boundary Bay (attached to what?) or closer to Crescent Beach on a piling? Either way, more wind info the better!
Mike

by drummermom » Sat Dec 31, 2022 11:38 am

Thanks Keeldude. Nice website. I don’t understand half the information but it’s impressive! lol Thanks for sharing. Very useful now that the Boundary Bay weather surface information has disappeared.
Happy nearly new year to the water sport enthusiasts!
drummermom

by shmish » Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:11 pm

Mike wrote:Thanks for sharing. It will be interesting over time to see if this provides more insight to the wind at White Rock. The thing I'm not sure of is where it's located. Is it in the middle of Boundary Bay (attached to what?) or closer to Crescent Beach on a piling? Either way, more wind info the better!

In the middle. I’m looking forward to seeing 25kn on it and catching up with everyone soon!

88F5A7DC-D0D2-4E02-AC5E-12C85A538FED.jpeg
88F5A7DC-D0D2-4E02-AC5E-12C85A538FED.jpeg (1.44 MiB) Viewed 4586 times
shmish

by Alton » Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:43 pm

Hey keeldude

Is this the same source as Chalmers posted in Sep 2021 ?

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3995

http://water.nhcweb.com to sign in
username public
password nhcwater!

Anyway, thanks for sharing all your hard work. I took the liberty of adding a link to 604windswell under "Wind Sensors"

604windswell.png
604windswell.png (26.57 KiB) Viewed 4583 times
Alton

by tweegster » Sat Dec 31, 2022 1:01 pm

The one Chalmers shared is the buoy closer to Crescent, you can see it in the map above to the north east.

SSE winds are often much stronger at Crescent then white rock, especially in late spring/summer. Glad we will be able to measure it now.

I suspect this is due to combination of the longer fetch, corner effect and a bit of thermal from the farm land.

Either way, great flat water foiling /TT sessions, just don’t end up down wind and take all precautions against swimmers itch.
tweegster

by Michael » Sat Dec 31, 2022 1:05 pm

drummermom wrote:Thanks for sharing. Very useful now that the Boundary Bay weather surface information has disappeared.

Tsawwassen Surface Weather is working again.
Michael

PreviousNext

Return to SUP and Surfing