Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

new access at vancouver beaches

Kitesurfing shop talk

by cglazier » Wed May 12, 2021 7:43 pm

cglazier

by Roxstock » Wed May 12, 2021 7:47 pm

Will people be told not to sit in the designated launch/land area?
Roxstock

by Roxstock » Wed May 12, 2021 7:47 pm

Great news by the way!
Roxstock

by Alton » Wed May 12, 2021 9:10 pm

Amazing. Thanks to Joerg Germann. Very timely as the Squamish's days may be numbered.
Alton

by mjamero » Thu May 13, 2021 8:04 pm

With this news this might be a good opportunity to remind people of right-of-way rules and general etiquette. With more people accessing these launches there is much more potential for conflict and accidents (almost always preventable).

This past weekend at Locarno I was attempting to land (Windsurfing). There was a kiter hip depth intent on launching, struggling with gear in the light wind, and was completely oblivious to me coming in. I was doing my best to come in well up wind of him to avoid him and his lines. As I was doing so he kept walking up wind, and walking up wind, always with his back to the water pulling his gear with him. He was totally involved in his launch and gear. In the end I had to ditch. Etiquette would imply someone trying to get to shore has right-of-way over someone launching. Regardless, I was on on starboard tack and had right-of-way.

In addition to this situation, there seemed to be a couple kiters continuously in the water (not always the same ones) one up wind of the other and blocking the water/shore. At Locarno on westerlies (SW-NW) this effectively cuts off access to the water, or worse, access to the shore. It is important to remember (or learn) right-of-way rules and if you are launching you MUST have your head on a swivel. Be aware of what's around you (this includes UP WIND! blind spots, shore, and water). I am picking on kiters here but it is not exclusive to them. Windsurfers can be bad too, not to mention the inexperienced sailing center sailors who think they "always" have the right-of-way just because they are bigger.

Also, little children have a habit of playing right down wind in your wind shadow and blind spot. This is bad for Windsurfers. If you bail a beachstart your sail can come down and strike them.

EVERYONE
1. If you intend to launch do a 360 scan first. If your launch might put you in someone's way on the water. WAIT! As much as you want to get going it is not imperative that you launch right then and there.
2. While preparing to launch (whether you are standing on the beach or standing in the water) be aware you might be in someone's way who is already on the water and wants to come in. It is easier for you to move than them.
3. If you are going to tack, gybe, jump, boost, or do ANY KIND maneuver or change in direction do a 360 scan. I've had a few kiters recently abruptly change direction in front of me and then promptly drop their kite in the water; lines blocking my path. Not good. ASSUME you WILL drop your kite (or sail). Make sure everyone around has enough space to accommodate your entire water footprint well in advance.
4. RIGHT-OF-WAY: Port tack: Yield. Starboard tack: Right-of-way. If in doubt YIELD! More info on right-of-way. https://www.discoverboating.ca/resource ... spx?id=242

Be safe. Be aware. Be courteous. Have fun!
mjamero

by mjamero » Fri May 14, 2021 9:21 am

mjamero wrote:...Be safe. Be aware. Be courteous. Have fun!

PDF: Rules of the Road. Transport Canada
https://tc.canada.ca/sites/default/file ... 14352E.pdf
mjamero

by Richi » Fri May 14, 2021 10:41 am

I would “assume” that no one is going to read any of that, so probably a good idea to just use common sense and be kind while doing it.
Richi

by mjamero » Sat May 15, 2021 6:12 pm

Richi wrote:I would “assume” that no one is going to read any of that, so probably a good idea to just use common sense and be kind while doing it.

That's the problem. While agree common sense and kindness prevail, I have recently witnessed and heard of behavior that lack common sense. Mostly regarding people unaware and in their own world on the beach and water causing others to struggle around them.Take 5 mins. Read/refresh right of way rules. Especially at the start of the season. Like it or not it is everyone's duty to know. Not trying to push anyone's buttons here but ignorance on the water is not an excuse and can be dangerous. Locarno/Jericho only gets busier as the season progresses.
mjamero

by imdmitry » Sat May 15, 2021 6:32 pm

Kites going out have right if way.
Kiter coming back should turn back out and come back agian later.

I know there's no such rule for windsurfing.

https://squamishwindsports.com/about/sa ... gulations/
imdmitry

Return to Kiteboarding