Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Winging Tack

Windsurfing shop talk

by Michael » Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:43 pm

I've been working on these, both toe and heel side, for a while without much success. I've actually had some pretty nasty crashes trying these. I just found this video and although it's a little slow, it really shows all the things I've been doing wrong and how to remedy them. Looking forward to getting out and trying more tacks, and seeing you all again soon!!

Michael

by JonathanP » Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:06 pm

I've found that putting most of my focus just on turning the board and staying level is super helpful. I took some decent bails before doing that too. Can even try a handful of times just turning the board and delaying the wing-swap and come off foil before powering up again. Especially helps if you practice the wing hand-over on the land enough times for it to feel natural. I think it helps to also gain lots of speed perpendicular to the wind, bring back foot forward a bit (so you don't beach when not having downforce from the wing, but actually having up force from having it above your head) and make a very smooth arc sheeting in but keeping the turn going consistently all the way through. I find if I'm pointing too high upwind before initiating the tack I'll feel very off balance since I'm leaning against the wing so much on a close haul and then all of a sudden it's not supporting you. Lots of fun once you get them more dialed, feels like arcing a huge snowboard carve!
JonathanP

by Michael » Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:40 pm

JonathanP wrote:I've found that putting most of my focus just on turning the board and staying level is super helpful. I took some decent bails before doing that too.

Thanks Jonathan, I think keeping the board level is definitely one of the things I need to work on. Looking forward to getting back out there and working on these!
Michael

by Richi » Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:39 am

Hah , thats funny, I was watching that video last night. Thanks for the tips Jonathan.
Richi

by Michael » Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:23 pm

Richi wrote:Hah , thats funny, I was watching that video last night. Thanks for the tips Jonathan.

Nice, it's a good video for sure! Wish I had seen it a little earlier. I hope you're making more progress than I have!
Michael

Return to Windsurfing