Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Jericho

Windsurfing shop talk

by Michael » Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:20 am

Anyone out at Jericho or Acadia? Thinking about coming down to wing.
Michael

by Mike » Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:58 pm

This may not help as it looks like you posted abit ago and the day is passing but...

I was there early morning and had a nice windfoil session on 4.5 sail launching from Locarno. The wind was very SW with a large windshadow. The wind meter did not reflect wind further out. This was not an issue for wind foil but a problem for kiters to get out (mind you some were out). I saw a number of wing foilers out at Acadia (again, probably not an issue dealing with the windshadow). Wind dropped after a good session. Looking at the sensor and judging by the gust readings, it looks like it picked up again. Some forecasts supported a longer wind window, others did not... For some, ferry terminal may be better for the wind direction.
Mike

by shmish » Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:53 pm

It was a grand session of windfoiling. I started a bit after Mike. I found the starboard reach really difficult and tiring because the wave:wind ratio was huge, and waves would swamp my board before I could generate any board speed. This reach was harder all day, as the waves take away from the foil speed.

Just after Mike came in the wind picked up. Igor was lit on his 7.0, Lubo said his 8.5 was a bit crazy at times, Vic rigged down to 7.0 and I was lit on my 6.5. Beautiful sunny day, I wasn’t sure what we would get because the wind line was quite aways out. I think it must have been close to 18kn, I had no problems waterstarting.

Windsurfing is sporadic enough now, coupled with my first day with my 5/4 wetsuit this fall, that my arms got pretty tired. Those first few reaches with lower wind and large swell were exhausting. Igor maxed out his session, as usual.
shmish

by Michael » Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:43 pm

Arrived at Acadia around 1:30 and got a few hours on the water. Wind was up and down, even when up it was just enough to get going. Had a few nice rides as the waves were OK, nothing epic, but it was a fun first session for me at Acadia. Glad Johnny waited around for his second session and Craig joined as well. Should have taking off the footstraps as they were just getting in the way. There were lots of weeds in the water which were frustrating at times, funny usually Boundary Bay is the place for weeds, I think they had washed down from the river as they looked like rushes. Looking forward to a classic day there on the wing!

Sorry I sent an OSR phone phone but it looks like it didn't come through?
Michael

by Slappy » Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:27 am

I spent 1:45 sloggin' around on my 12m, should have been on the 17m. Wind was super bad first 500m but not too bad on the outside.

Slappy

Return to Windsurfing