Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Nicola Today

Windsurfing shop talk

by Michael » Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:36 pm

Just missed Dallas but met Dave at Nicola today for some sunny fresh water blasting! Things turned on quick and were full on for the first hour or so then things slowly started to drop off. Still really worth the trip. It's such a fun place to sail! Had some camera mount issues but still got a few shots. Lots off switch stance rides today and got my first heal side tack, although I didn't foil out of it but touched down then sailed on.
Attachments
NicolaMemorial.jpg
NicolaMemorial.jpg (6.26 MiB) Viewed 2418 times
WestsideSmoke..jpg
WestsideSmoke..jpg (2.26 MiB) Viewed 2418 times
Nicola.jpg
Nicola.jpg (4 MiB) Viewed 2418 times
Nicola3.jpg
Nicola3.jpg (839.65 KiB) Viewed 2418 times
NicolaDave.jpg
NicolaDave.jpg (1.07 MiB) Viewed 2418 times
Nicola2.jpg
Nicola2.jpg (1.1 MiB) Viewed 2418 times
Nicola1.jpg
Nicola1.jpg (826.12 KiB) Viewed 2418 times
Michael

by C36 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:27 pm

S1 – Bear Creek (2021 Jul 18)

10 degrees. 9 gusting 16 when we passed the break wall in town and GLASS when we arrived at Bear Creek. Felt like an heat buddle inland was holding the wind off. It arrived but it was too little too late. Still enjoyable to get out and bob around to cool off. Campground host said the water was about 10 degrees but it felt a LOT warmer than that. Wood Bees on the beach and seal fishing off the mouth of the creek. Nice to see JD and family!

Gallery (to view as a slideshow click on the scree icon top right)

S2 – Harrison Lake break wall (2021 Jul 19)

Roadside attraction. Another morning of glass and mosquitos at Bear Creek so given the forecast at Lake Nicola I followed JD’s lead and cut my losses. Arrived at break wall in town to 15 gusting 20 so decided to hedge the day with a session as Nicola hadn’t kicked yet and try a new-to-me launch. Wind looked fairly steady for the others already out, but once out there is was pretty gusty – too little at times and almost too much at other times. Found the recreational boat traffic a little spooky. Felt a bit like a roadside attraction. Plugged the plug when Nicola 3 pm ready had switched west and kicked. Thanks to Tsawwassen for relaying info from Dallas that wind was filling in and that the wildfire smoke wasn’t too bad.

S3 – Nicola Lake (2021 Jul 19)

That’s more like it! Wildfire smoke was so thick just east of the summit on the Coquihaila summit that I just about tuned around, but it thinned and cleared. Arrived at the lake just before 5 pm. Solo playful 5.3/116 session from 5:15 to 6:05. Light at first but then power-almost-hour of fun. Osprey fishing on the lake. Felt like a cross between the lake I learned to windsurf on in Ontario and the Gorge. That’s more like it!

S4 – Nicola Lake (2021 Jul 20)

Winger. Walked the edge ring of the pit house foundation outlines at Monck Park and pondered overwintering there. Spent the morning hanging out at Monck Park then headed off to meet Tsawwassen for an afternoon sail. Heard bald eagle, saw ground hog, chipmunks at Monck Park, and a loon out on the lake. Wind was ramping up earlier than yesterday but looked to be breathing – building, easing and then repeating. Tsawwassen was winging (5 m) and I was windsurfing (5.3/116) sailed for a few hours in punchy wind and finally decided to give the 4.5/92 a try in the building wind and that’s when it shut down. Odd day for it to end so early. Some smoke in the sky to the east – not sure if that was the reason. Tsawwassen was looking pretty comfortable on the wind and I am pretty sure it won’t be long until will be winging full-time. Fun spot and two sessions here turned my ‘long weekend’ around.

C36

Return to Windsurfing