Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Happy Fathers Day!

Windsurfing shop talk

by Michael » Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:34 pm

Hope some of you awesome wind Dads got out today! Like Dave said to me today, it's weird not being on the Oregon Coast for Fathers Day. But I Got 2 hours out at the Ferry Terminal and it was just like being there. First a nice cooked breakfast thanks to my Daughter, then a gorilla board repair before the wind kicked in at 11. Driving out to the Terminal was just like the Jetty, even a few red necks in trucks, then over heated in my 5/4 winter suite while rigging, follow by ever more carnage on the water, this time my foil sliced open the back of my wetsuit. :o Glad I was wearing my suite, this foiling thing is dangerous, kind of like wave sailing and almost as fun! I'm just waiting for my fish and chips now, couldn't find a super burrito anywhere! Hope you all had a good day!
Michael

by Chuck » Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:18 pm

Ya budday!!
Glad you scored today! SB was the as-expected shitshow, should have joined you at the Terminal!

Glad you didn’t fillet yourself in the foil! :shock:
Chuck

by Michael » Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:01 pm

Chuck wrote:SB was the as-expected shitshow, should have joined you at the Terminal!
Glad you didn’t fillet yourself in the foil!

I almost turned right at highway 17 then thought it would be crazy down there. Terminal was light but nice on the foil. There were actually a few windsurfers at the Terminal as well as a few kiters. Was perfect for winging but got light near the end, no where near as nice as our BBay session yesterday though. Fixed the board up nicely but not sure if I can do a repair on the wetsuit that will hold.
Attachments
IMG_3547.jpg
IMG_3547.jpg (271.52 KiB) Viewed 8513 times
Michael

by Alton » Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:12 pm

Alton

by Alton » Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:16 pm

Aquaseal+Neo with Dental Floss is the best combination

Alton

by Alton » Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:24 pm

You should also take some neoprene from an old wetsuit and glue it over the cut (inside the wetsuit) to serve as backing material.
Alton

by Michael » Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:41 pm

Thanks for the tips Alton, I've got the aqua seal that's great stuff, but I never would have thought of dental floss!
Michael

by Slappy » Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:51 am

4 hours on the water, wind was pretty solid 15 knots for most of the time. Waves were choppy and meh with the tide too high. Nice warm weather by Vancouver standards though.

Very annoying to watch several people kiting in the swimming zone though. Please do everything you can to get them to stop when you see them doing this (don't kite in to the swimming zone yourself to stop them though).

Do not even fly your kite in the swimming zone! Seriously just land it in the water and roll up and carry it in. You wont have room to land it dry if it isn't low tide anyway. See end of above video for an example.

People need to understand that there are lifeguards on the beach who's job it is to keep people safe in that swimming zone. They sure as hell do not appreciate people kiting in that zone or flying their kites in that zone.

WhereToKite.jpg
WhereToKite.jpg (161.16 KiB) Viewed 8389 times

- There was a pink or red kite who was flying in the swimming zone 40 feet from the beach who had his kite fall straight down LE first.
- There was a blue/grey kite flying in the swimming zone while walking up wind a bunch
- The worst offender by far was what looked like an Ocean Rodeo Roam just riding back and forth right in the swimming zone for about 40 minutes.

If you know these people IRL please ask them stop doing this.
Last edited by Slappy on Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slappy

by shmish » Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:18 pm

I'm pretty sure yesterday was the busiest day that I've ever sailed at Jericho. The launch area was a bit annoying. Lots of chop, it wasn't hard to be immediately pushed downwind and out of the zone, especially with a windfoil where I need to start at an awkward depth (deep enough that I can barely stand).

It was nice to see friends again! I was super stiff last night after being off the water for 2 months but feel pretty good today.

Michael - bummer in the summer about your new board.

Mike - (if you see this). If you ever come to Vancouver, maybe drop me a message. I'm interested in putting your surfbent on my board to see if it would maybe work for me. If the geometry works out I think I'll buy one.

Yesterday was my first try with the DMC Soft Surf Helmet. It was great, I totally forgot that I was wearing it. It kept the sun off of my bald head and back of my neck. https://supandfoil.com/collections/acce ... urf-helmet

dmc.jpg
dmc.jpg (66.33 KiB) Viewed 8371 times
shmish

Return to Windsurfing