Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Porteaucove!

Windsurfing shop talk

by Francis » Fri May 21, 2021 12:15 pm

It’s happening again! All white caps :D
Francis

by vtsarkov » Fri May 21, 2021 12:18 pm

Sorry, what is happening?

I was considering leaving for Squamish shortly here. Should I stop at Porteau Cove instead?
---

-Vadim
vtsarkov

by Michael » Fri May 21, 2021 7:51 pm

Francis wrote:It’s happening again! All white caps :D

Curious, how was it today and what time does the wind start to drop off there?
Michael

by Francis » Fri May 21, 2021 11:00 pm

Michael wrote:

I got on the water just around 12:30 with 4.2 revo then upsize to 5.4 after an hour, fully powered till 5:00. Two wingers and six windfoilers.
Excellent warm up for the long weekend :D
Francis

by Michael » Sat May 22, 2021 12:04 am

Francis wrote:
Michael wrote:

I got on the water just around 12:30 with 4.2 revo then upsize to 5.4 after an hour, fully powered till 5:00. Two wingers and six windfoilers.
Excellent warm up for the long weekend :D

Thanks Francis, I'm hoping to get out there winging. Maybe next week. Have a great weekend!
Michael

by JonathanP » Sat May 22, 2021 8:06 am

How was the wind swell out there? Some nice rollers in Squamish
JonathanP

by Francis » Sat May 22, 2021 9:30 pm

JonathanP wrote:How was the wind swell out there? Some nice rollers in Squamish

A little choppy close to the pier but outside it’s cleaner occasional rollers waves around waist high most specially down wind of the drivers spot.
Francis

by Luis » Wed May 26, 2021 9:26 pm

I would like to go this weekend for the first time to Porteau Cove. Windsurfing (no foiling).
Please give me some tips: parking, rigging, where to lunch from, safety tips, usual board/sail size, best tide, etc.
Thank you!
Luis

by C36 » Thu May 27, 2021 6:33 am

More than 10 years ago Rob Mulder of Roberts Boards once mentioned that Porteau Cove often sets up well in the spring when the inflow starts further south - this can cause Porteau Cove to be steady but a bit lighter and Squamish to be gusty. He said when this set-up happens Porteau Cove was one of his favorite spots for sailing formula windsurfing gear.
C36

by adam2 » Thu May 27, 2021 7:17 am

Luis,

Although I haven't sailed there in years and years, Porteau is one of my all-time favorite sailing spots when it is good. I would always check it on the way to Squamish in the morning, if it was already heavily filled in, it would likely mean that Squamish would be blown out and/or gusty as C36 mentioned. If I came specifically to sail it, I would get there early in the afternoon to find parking, and sleep in the car until the I was woken up by the old swinging bear-proof garbage cans blowing up against their supports at around 3pm. Getting parking was always the biggest PITA, and this was 20 years ago. When I drove by at 4pm last Saturday they had "lot full" signs up and were turning people away. The launch area itself is super obvious, the beach is really rocky, but turns to decent sandbars at lower tide that help you get out to the windline. It's good to have a bit of extra volume in your board to get out to the windline on strong westerlies and high tides. Even if it is a nice day Porteau is nowhere near as reliable as Squamish, so if you don't think it's going to blow, just head up the highway
adam2

Next

Return to Windsurfing