Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Porteaucove!

Windsurfing shop talk

by Luis » Thu May 27, 2021 11:44 am

adam2 wrote:Luis,

Although I haven't sailed there in years and years, Porteau is one of my all-time favorite sailing spots when it is good. I would always check it on the way to Squamish in the morning, if it was already heavily filled in, it would likely mean that Squamish would be blown out and/or gusty as C36 mentioned. If I came specifically to sail it, I would get there early in the afternoon to find parking, and sleep in the car until the I was woken up by the old swinging bear-proof garbage cans blowing up against their supports at around 3pm. Getting parking was always the biggest PITA, and this was 20 years ago. When I drove by at 4pm last Saturday they had "lot full" signs up and were turning people away. The launch area itself is super obvious, the beach is really rocky, but turns to decent sandbars at lower tide that help you get out to the windline. It's good to have a bit of extra volume in your board to get out to the windline on strong westerlies and high tides. Even if it is a nice day Porteau is nowhere near as reliable as Squamish, so if you don't think it's going to blow, just head up the highway

Thank you for the advice Adam. I usually sail from the Spit but I would like to try something different this year, at least on the weekends. Last year, due to Covid restrictions, on the weekends there was a really long waiting line at the Spit.
Luis

by Francis » Thu May 27, 2021 8:52 pm

I would also consider monitoring a south push from our local surrounding plus a sunny breaks at Squamish.

S to SE 10knts from Pam rocks censor readings is a good indicator,
usually 7m slalom sailing or 5.4m foiling for me ;)
Francis

by Michael » Fri May 28, 2021 5:03 pm

Did anyone go there today? It looks like it might have been good but I couldn't get away.
Michael

by JonathanP » Fri May 28, 2021 6:48 pm

Was pretty strong in Squamish but came on quite gusty, ultra low tide made for fun swell and smelly air. Also noticed a lot of junk in the shallows and something sharp poked through my bootie!
JonathanP

by LeopardSkin » Fri May 28, 2021 7:47 pm

JonathanP wrote:something sharp poked through my bootie!

Ryan impaled his foot at Nexport. Don't know if it got infected and required amputation.
LeopardSkin

by Jennifer » Sun May 30, 2021 12:00 pm

I ended up giving tetnus shots last year for a couple people post being impaled by those cables. They are nasty! Definitely need to be careful in the shallows at low tide. Can also get a free tetnus booster from the pharmacy.
Jennifer

by Ryan » Sun May 30, 2021 1:14 pm

IMG_20200705_173525.jpg
IMG_20200705_173525.jpg (942.01 KiB) Viewed 5763 times

Be careful of the cables, this one got me last year.

Pieces were still coming out of my foot in January.
Ryan

by Michael » Sun May 30, 2021 1:37 pm

JonathanP wrote:Was pretty strong in Squamish but came on quite gusty, ultra low tide made for fun swell and smelly air. Also noticed a lot of junk in the shallows and something sharp poked through my bootie!

Glad you got out but sorry to hear about your foot!

Ryan wrote:Be careful of the cables, this one got me last year.

Pieces were still coming out of my foot in January.
That's nasty!!
Michael

Previous

Return to Windsurfing