Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Helmets, winter and neoprene caps

Windsurfing shop talk

by Mike » Sat May 01, 2021 7:22 am

This may not be overly helpful, but the helmet you see me wear I've had since the near start of my windsurf days. Hoodie under in winter, no hoodie in summer. It's not a "super" fit but I have not found this matters at all except maybe 35+knots the wind catches the front brim and pulls it up :o . I like the front brim for summer as I think it helps a bit keeping the sun out of my eyes. Same sun protection for removable ear flaps. Use includes windsurf freestyle work which involves lots of crashing. I can see the front brim may not be good for kiting if your sessions commonly includes getting power dragged across the water. For rare maui surf waves I use the garth helmet which is a much better fit without the front brim that could get caught and yanked.
Mike

by Alton » Sat May 01, 2021 7:47 am

BigBill wrote:I’ve recently purchased a new soft surf helmet from Decathlon online from Quebec. I never wore helmets after windsurfing for 35 years or kiting for 20 years. I started kite foiling a few years ago and had a bad mishap last fall with my foil hitting my forehead near my eyes while in the water. Luckily minor cut and swelling. I now wear this soft surf helmet and find it light, secure, and vents well. Best part it only cost $20.00 plus shipping.

Thanks for the recommendation Bill. I have many issues with helmets tilting forward and impairing my vision - likely due to the weird shape of my head. Maybe this one will help. For only $27 (tax+shipping included), I decided to splurge.

https://www.decathlon.ca/en/sunglasses- ... lsize-200m

Alton

by max.spock » Sat May 01, 2021 9:10 am

I'm gonna give it a try too!
max.spock

by grantmac » Sat May 01, 2021 9:38 am

I'm really interested in that game breaker material. Some sort of non Newtonian gel or similar.
My hardshell helmet is okay but none of them really fit me that well.
grantmac

Previous

Return to Windsurfing