Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Saturday Boundary Bay

Windsurfing shop talk

by Michael » Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:31 pm

Had a great wing session at Centennial this morning. Sunny and windy with just enough water, 3.9m of water was fine to launch. My first session in Boundary Bay, it was great to get into some waves but I was a little over powered so had a hard time controlling things. Finally was able to hold the wing with one hand and ride some waves. Super cool feeling dropping into a wave and just gliding along. However most of the time I did it the wing would flip over. Had a few rides where this didn't happen though. For a while I was feeling a bit of windsurfing guilt as I could have been sailing on the 5.3 102L easily. Once I get this dialled Boundary Bay is going to be a sweet winging playground. Saw two wingers up by 3rd Ave. ripping around! Would like to know what size foil masts they had as they were able to sail quite close to shore. I had a bit of a walk coming in as the tide had dropped a bit and I breached the foil where the waves were breaking on one of the sand banks. The water was too shallow to try and start foiling again so had to walk the rest of the way back to shore.
Michael

by Windsurfdan » Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:58 pm

Hey Micheal,

We had 85cm mast and 5m wing.
Lots of water all the way to the shore.

Next time come and join us
Super fun day today.
Windsurfdan

by Michael » Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:00 pm

Windsurfdan wrote:Hey Micheal,

Super fun day today.

Thanks Dan, I will. Did you launch from 3rd?
Michael

by Mike » Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:49 pm

Hey Michael - I saw you out there. From a distance, it looked like you were doing well. This morning was dominated by wingers (in terms of numbers) at 3rd.

I had no plans to kite or sail today but left when the wind bumped and there was a modest local forecast. Wind exceeded expections!? Overall solid 9M / SB conditions in blue skies. Waves were fair and up to maybe thigh with rare waist high at most.

I wonder what's up for tomorrow?
Mike

by Michael » Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:02 pm

Mike wrote:Hey Michael - I saw you out there. From a distance, it looked like you were doing well. This morning was dominated by wingers (in terms of numbers) at 3rd.

Thanks Mike, glad you got out, it was a really nice treat sailing in the sun and yes the wind was much better than expected. Hopefully we get some more wind tomorrow, if it's like today I'll try winging up at 3rd.
Michael

by adam2 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:52 pm

I showed up late at the terminal at noonish. Direction was fine but it dropped as I was getting ready. Spent ages wing-schlogging a 6.2, got one flying reach, and finally got to try out harness lines on the wing, which was nice. I should have windfoiled on big gear though.
Last edited by adam2 on Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adam2

by Richi » Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:04 pm

Windsurfdan wrote:Hey Micheal,

Super fun day today.

Right on guys, glad your getting out on the wings! I bought my 5m wing and now looking for a new board and foil. Just wondering what to buy that works for local conditions. What size boards were you guys using with the 5m and what size foils? Thanks, any info helps before dropping money on all new gear.
Richi

by imdmitry » Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:33 pm

8:30am I was at Ferry Terminal it was at least 20-25kn on shore and no one on a water.
Decided to go to 3d Ave for kiting. Was out from 9am till 3pm.
Nice 20kn wind to start then it dropped a little. Did a break for 30min around noon and went out again for second session. It was fun flat and knee to waist deep water after noon. Sunny and warm, today probably was the warmest session of the year. Was able to sail almost whole day. Lots of wings and surprising not too many kiters. I guess most went to Whistler for 60cm powder.
Hopefully tomorrow going to be the similar conditions.
imdmitry

by Slappy » Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:46 pm

Had a fun afternoon session in springlike conditions with low tide and light wind. 17m and SB was well powered.

Slappy

by Slappy » Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:41 pm

Michael wrote:wing session at Centennial this morning

Hey Michael, I'm sure your windsurfing habits are hard to break and the facilities at Centennial are pretty nice but if you are winging then there is probably little point ever launching there.

3rd Ave would be better and that's what most of the wingers seem to like, but I think the boat ramp is probably the ideal spot for wingers to launch from. I'd imagine they tend to still go to 3rd Ave for social reasons. Or perhaps the shore break is more challenging at the boat ramp, I've only ever seen it from the water when it's windy.
Slappy

Next

Return to Windsurfing