Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Boundary Bay today

Windsurfing shop talk

by Michael » Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:36 pm

I should have gone foiling today, wind stayed up and it's been sunny all day. :( I see someone is out on a wing now. I'm going to try tomorrow but wind looks more East.
Michael

by Michael » Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:32 pm

If the wind holds I'm thinking about going for a foil in about an hour. I'm going to try the boat launch for a bit of extra water.
Michael

by Alton » Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:37 pm

Darn - I was too pessimistic today. Hope you got some

BoundaryBay_Tue_Jan_26.gif
BoundaryBay_Tue_Jan_26.gif (22.21 KiB) Viewed 4670 times
Alton

by Michael » Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:23 pm

Alton wrote:Darn - I was too pessimistic today. Hope you got some

I did, a few kiters and wingers were out too. Was really over powered on the foil but had some great rides and foiled out of a jibe for the first time, sweet! Could have been on my windsurf gear but didn't think it was going to come up that much and once outside I didn't want to come back in. Wind was more ESE with some really nice waves up by the mile marker, I did a bit of cross boarder wave shopping. :D Had fun carving around in the waves, getting better at one handed sailing but I can see having a wing will make this even more fun. There was some big shore break at the boat launch which made it bit challenging to get out but the extra water was nice. First time foiling on an easterly but it was quite fun, not too cold today until the sun dropped behind some clouds.

Sorry I didn't post an OSR but when I was rigging I noticed my tire was almost flat and that sidetracked me. Had to get my wife to bring down my portable tire pump, glad I live near the beach and have an awesome wife. :D
Michael

by Mike » Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:51 am

That's excellent on the foiling through the jibe!! Wish I could have joined you but work was in the way. I would have been concerned about an easterly on a foil if the the tide wasn't 4M+ & may have kited. But it sound like ESE and the Boat Launch helped. Lots to learn!
Mike

by Michael » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:19 am

Mike wrote:That's excellent on the foiling through the jibe!! Wish I could have joined you but work was in the way. I would have been concerned about an easterly on a foil if the the tide wasn't 4M+ & may have kited. But it sound like ESE and the Boat Launch helped. Lots to learn!

Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 8.58.17 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 8.58.17 AM.png (23.18 KiB) Viewed 4541 times

Hey Mike, I was thinking you might join me, it was fun but not a day to skip out of work.
Lots of water at the boat launch, tide table showed 3.9m for the 3 hours I was there, very little walk to get out. Launching was tricky in the shore break and there were large breaking waves on the way out which caught me off guard. I got tossed around in the breaking waves and got caught up on a crab trap line, someone has place a bunch of traps in very shallow there. Once up though it was easy to head up wind and get out deep. I was out near the mile marker on my first reach and I stayed out the rest of the time. It was tricky getting back in to the beach because you had to sail down wind, being over powered I foiled out a bunch on the waves and had a few scary crashes. The jibe was the highlight for sure, I also had a few really nice wave rides which was unexpected on an easterly.
Michael

Return to Windsurfing