Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Windsurf Schools In Mexico

Windsurfing shop talk

by tattooedferret » Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:13 pm

So I would really like to dedicate some time to improving this year (I didn't get down to Squamish as much as I wish I would have last summer due to work, so I spent a lot of time trying to improve in Whistler with some inconsistent wind and when it was blowing, the run is over in a flash)

I'd like to spend a week or 2 in Mexico, preferably La Ventana on a solid intensive course.

Does anyone here have any experience with the schools down there or could maybe recommend a school to me?

I've had a look and pro windsurf La Ventana has great reviews.

Cheers,
Allan
tattooedferret

by mjamero » Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:36 pm

If you're talking Mexico then Pro Windsurf in La Ventana are THE guys. Wyatt Miller and Tyson Poor are wizards of water.

https://prowindsurflaventana.com/

However, if you go to La Ventana and they happen to have an El Norte you may find it more to handle than you want. I'm not sure your level but you might also consider Tobago (Pigeon Point). This spot is often frequented by LEGEND windsurfing coaches such as Peter Hart and Jem Hall who run boot camps there. If you time it right this is a VERY good investment in your windsurfing. I personally much prefer this location over La Ventana but that's me. Here's the link for Radical Sports Tobago. Brett is the owner.

https://www.radicalsportstobago.com/

EDIT. If you time it right you can also go to Port of Spain for carnival along with your windsurfing in Tobago. My wife and I did this and had an awesome trip overall.
mjamero

by Brian C » Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:35 pm

I love Pro Windsurf LV but they don’t really do lessons. They are more of an accommodation + gear place so they are best for people who are competent at waterstarts and jibes. They have lots of fun toys for no wind days too.
Brian C

by LeopardSkin » Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:52 pm

tattooedferret wrote:...week or 2... on a solid intensive course...

Pistol River on the Oregon Coast is also intensive.

35 knots, 10 foot wave faces, and sharky water will guarantee you come back a better sailor. And with a 5mm surf suit, you'll be almost as warm as in Mexico.
LeopardSkin

by Pavel » Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:41 pm

Vela Baja at Las Barrilas Mexico (just South of La Ventana) offers lessons https://velabaja.com/windsurfing-rental ... urflessons

Solo sports on the West Coast of Baja offers clinics and rentals https://solosports.net/services/windsurfing/
Pavel

by grantmac » Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:51 pm

Tobago is flat water no?
grantmac

by mjamero » Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:20 am

grantmac wrote:Tobago is flat water no?

Tobago is mostly a flat water lagoon with some waves on it's outer bank. I have not been to Bonaire but from what I hear it is a similar type of sailing. If you want an idea of it's conditions watch Jem Hall's Beginner to Winner. Much of it was filmed in Tobago.

Wyatt Miller at Pro Windsurf does do one-on-one lessons but as mentioned earlier, Pro Windsurf does not do clinics. It sounds like a clinic is more what the OP might be looking for and I am not aware of anyone running clinics in Mexico.

Note that NO ONE is running clinics ANYWHERE right now for the foreseeable future.
mjamero

by grantmac » Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:01 pm

Don't think I'd pay money to go somewhere without waves but that's just me.
Once Covid is over I'll be heading for the Oregon coast to finally get into some serious ones. But Baja is on my list too.
grantmac

by ZeroR2 » Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:54 pm

No vacations right now. Flat water and best learning would be Bonaire. Water is super clear & good wind. I didn't care for Margarita. If you want waves, Hawaii, Oregon or Mexico is the place. If you go to the ABC islands, I would spend one week in Bonaire and another in Aruba. Travel time is long.
ZeroR2

by tattooedferret » Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:00 pm

Cheers for the replies everyone! Yea I should have been a bit more clear, this isn't going to be until the end of the year (but the pessimist in me think it may have to be next year with the vaccines being slow to roll out here and elsewhere).

Thanks for the pointers, I got into contact with Wyatt and it seems theres a lack of instructors out there as they now have industry jobs, plus it seems like the the best option for fast learning is over on the Caribbean side, (flat water, steady winds) so I'm looking into Bonaire now. Not really looking to go anywhere with waves as I'll not learn shit if I can't get on the board hahahah not just yet anyway.

I'd look into the US but I want to go more further afield, preferably to somewhere I've not been (traveled a lot around the US but never been to the ABC's)

Once I'm proficient I have a buddy that lives in Hawaii so that's gonna be waaaaaay out in future:)
tattooedferret

Next

Return to Windsurfing