Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

How To Carry Your Windsurf Gear At The Spit

Windsurfing shop talk

by LeopardSkin » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:01 am

A couple of people asked me this today.

Spit specific:

When walking from your car to the launch area, carry your board with your left hand, with the fin pointing in the direction of travel. The mast extension is shoved through the right footstrap. Carry your rig with your right hand.

When walking from the launch area to your car, carry your board with your right hand, with the nose pointing in the direction of travel. The mast extension is shoved through the right footstrap (same footstrap as when carrying from your car to the launch area). Carry your rig with your left hand.

It's extremely easy to do. One trip. Secure. You can walk a kilometre like this like it's no big deal. Seriously. Unless you try it, you'll never know how easy it is to do.

I actually use my outhaul line to lash everything to the boom, and wear my harness. I'm sure you can figure out whatever tweak suits your situation.

Last edited by LeopardSkin on Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LeopardSkin

by telus022420 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:09 am

If its a long distance or large board/rig:
You could also use the tie down strap and create a shoulder harness. Make a loop and hook it around the front of the board/rig; tie a loop around the back end. Balance the strap; put a rolled up towel on your shoulder and put the strap on your shoulder.

Take the carrying weight off your arm.
----------------------------------------------
Before the the turnaround was built I also used a Mtn bike to to carry the kit in two trips.
telus022420

by DavidJames » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:57 am

I just launch where ever I am on the spit. and then downwind back to my car at the end of my session. Saves my arms for sailing!
DavidJames

by LeopardSkin » Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:07 am

It's low tide this weekend.

Difficult: carry rigged windsurfing gear down the spit, and across the sandbar.

Much easier: carry unrigged gear to the sandbar. Rig by the water. Sail.

Earlier this week, somebody asked me about the Hawaiian-Style carry that Lena Erdil and other pros use.

Specific to the spit:

Shove the mast extension in your right footstrap.

When carrying towards the launch area, carry your board in your left hand with the board's tail towards the launch area. When carrying towards your car, carry your board in your right hand with the board's nose towards the parking area.

LeopardSkin

by max.spock » Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:49 pm

Excellent audio quality :D
max.spock

by 8mdude » Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:22 pm

I’d say carry the hard way to rid of that stubborn belly jelly fatty.
8mdude

by LeopardSkin » Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:04 pm

Some variations on the same theme. Bonus: cleaner audio!

LeopardSkin

Return to Windsurfing