Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Squamish is now an island???

Windsurfing shop talk

by MicP » Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:37 pm

Hi!

Used to windsurf here quite a while back.. Left the country, back now, and haven't been on a board in ages, etc!

Trying to catch up on the latest and maybe get onto the water again, though am super confused.. the spit is now an island? and you get shuttled across? Is that just for kitesurfers? Can you still launch at Nexen? Or where is it that windsurfers now would launch from?

Anyway any basic info would be much appreciated. I'll have enough trouble on the water, would be good to actually figure out how to get out before I try to head over :D

Thanks all!!

MicP
MicP

by LeopardSkin » Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:36 pm

Due to climate change, the ocean has risen, so Mount Skwxwú7mesh is now an island. The boat shuttle is for all windriders.

Nexen is now underneath the ocean. In place, a new beach called Sp’akw’us Feather Park will be built in the near future.
LeopardSkin

by MicP » Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:49 pm

Wow thanks, climate change came quickly here! :D Parking still on the old spit road or somewhere else?
MicP

by drummermom » Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:39 am

Parking same as usual just not as much of it. Unless of course you have an amphibious vehicle. :lol:
drummermom

by Ryan » Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:56 am

Windsurfers and wingers can park and launch from the remaining spit, Kiters need to take the shuttle boat.
Be very careful at low tide on the river side, higher tides are less detrimental to your gear getting destroyed. Launching on the estuary side is safer.

Sp’akw’us Feather Park (Nexan) has a new beach and will open sometime, I think it's possible to walk in (about 500m walk) on the weekends already.
Ryan

Return to Windsurfing