Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Sunday at Harrison

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by Mike » Sun May 07, 2023 7:31 pm

Another solo session... Every year I'm surprised the Harrison locals limit themselves to mainly July/August. Nice 4.5 sail on windfoil session. Gusty but not bad for Harrison. Water level on beach not too high yet but higher than last time.

One week until puppy time so good to keep getting water sessions now!

PXL_20230507_194220378.jpg
PXL_20230507_194220378.jpg (3.7 MiB) Viewed 2711 times
Mike

by Dellis » Mon May 08, 2023 12:38 pm

How come no one kites, wings or windsurfs from the day use area a couple km down wind from the rock jetti? Also is anyone sailing from Bear creek anymore?
Dellis

by Brian C » Mon May 08, 2023 1:21 pm

Mike went from “Rivtow”, which is the easiest to access. The tall breakwater creates an annoying windshadow for non-kiters but otherwise it’s a good spot for flatwater fun. You do have to look out for impaired boaters though!

The Sasquatch Park day area a few kms downwind has a huge windshadow at the launch. Francis used to windsurf there sometimes on a big board that was easy to slog in/out from the windline, so it might work for winging too, but definitely not a kite launch.

A few of us still enjoy the occasional day out of Bear Creek. It has much better wind but it arrives later in the day so it works best if you camp there. Also the road is very rough with tire-eating shale so you must (!) drive slowly, making day-trips tedious. The launch is always fine for windsurfing/winging but only suitable for kites when the lake level is low enough to expose the upwind beach (usually July sometime). Also very desirable to bring a rescue craft because very few boats come that far down the lake when it is windy, and the downwind shoreline is mostly cliffs.
Despite all those “issues”, Bear Creek can produce beautiful sailing conditions with nice rolling lake swell and much steadier wind than Rivtow. I wish I was better at predicting when it works best there, but in my experience it’s on a thermal day that is boosted by a pre-frontal push (ie right before the weather switches from warm sun to rain).
Hope that helps.
Brian C

by john m » Tue May 09, 2023 6:27 pm

https://youtu.be/_Jr5W28Tg1M
Bear creek is really nice,but with foiling I just go to Breakwater beach.This is a windy day with a 4.0 sail
john m

by Dellis » Wed May 10, 2023 7:12 am

Thank you for the information it’s appreciated.
Dellis

Return to Weather Talk and OSR