Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Maui

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by Mike » Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:02 pm

In case anyone is wondering, Maui is on! I brought my kite gear so that's mainly what I've been doing. One windsurf session in head high (I saw others in up to logo). Alot of work for me but got rides and turns. All 7M when kite. A 6M faster turning kite might be perfect. Even on the non swell days I could find Centennial like (ish) waves to play in. Today, I spent time in front of what I think it's called the boneyard (Kanaha). I can see why not many people there. For me, coming in I would (usually) turn early or go past it to where the wingers are. The thing I learned was when going back upwind was not too get too close to the shallows since on turning a big set could be coming in... Had to work over 2 logo highs (barely) to get out or get washed into the rocks. It was my first true surf conditions on the kite. Lots of head high and the odd logo high with nice shape. My natural turn direction (Centennial) is opposite direction but working on it (and lots to work on). Can't say I've got the true down the line kite back and forth action on the big waves yet (timing) but tons of fun still playing around in it.
Mike

by Bryanl » Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:32 pm

Hi Mike
I'm here to
Sailing at Kanaha
4 days so far - strong & Gusty
I'll watch for you
Bryan
Bryanl

by Michael » Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:01 am

Mike wrote:In case anyone is wondering, Maui is on!

Hey Mike, thanks for the update!! I was checking the forecast and wondering how you were getting on! I wish I could join you, I miss spring break in Maui!! I'm on the Friends Of Kanaha Facebook group and get Margie's update everyday. It looks like the trades came back just in time for your visit and Windguru is showing another week of wind! Looking forward to more posts, have fun and stay safe!
Michael

by shmish » Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:20 am

Great to hear that you’re getting wind Mike. I’d love to go windsurfing in Maui for a week or two. Maybe spring break or summer, within the next 5 years. Have a good one!
shmish

by Mike » Sun Apr 16, 2023 12:05 am

Thanks Michael and Doug. It's been a lucky stretch wind wise. Got an unexpected bonus session in today right outside our place at Maui Sunset.

Bryan - I'll look out for you tomorrow as it seems it'll be Kanaha tomorrow!

IMG_2096.jpg
IMG_2096.jpg (628.95 KiB) Viewed 1941 times
Mike

by Michael » Sun Apr 16, 2023 1:40 pm

Mike wrote:Got an unexpected bonus session in today right outside our place at Maui Sunset.

Nice!! I've never sailed on that side but I've always wanted to. It's too offshore where we usually stay, but it must be nice being able to do it right in front of your place!
Michael

Return to Weather Talk and OSR