Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Thursday Wind

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by 8mdude » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:43 pm

No sign of slowing down. Wind still above 30 SE.

C2EDC087-06CB-4E65-A0DF-05B2902BB9F7.jpeg
C2EDC087-06CB-4E65-A0DF-05B2902BB9F7.jpeg (1.66 MiB) Viewed 4232 times
8mdude

by Michael » Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:16 pm

Challenging day! Wind picked up just as I arrived and I was way overpowered by the time I made my first reach. Lots of debris and weeds made things worse. Being over powered while trying to dodge chunks of wood is not fun, hit lots of small ones with the foil but no damage. Had a few nice wave rides but went too far down past Centennial, the rest of the session was just trying to make it back to the beach in one piece. Think a 3.7 day at Columbia Beach would have been a bit better!
Michael

by Alton » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:41 pm

The early afternoon shift (Andrew and I) was a disappointing E 16-18. Struggled to keep from losing ground on 12m+surfboard.

Glad I didn't leave because the late afternoon shift (2-4pm with Mike and Michael) was treated with SSE 25g30 ... perfect for 8m+surfboard. Waves cleaned up ... and so did my mood.

BoundaryBay_Thu_Nov_25.gif
BoundaryBay_Thu_Nov_25.gif (25.5 KiB) Viewed 4179 times
Alton

by Mike » Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:07 am

Glad you stuck around Alton. It was not much of a turn out.

Michael, to my eye I thought you were doing well. I did wonder if there were better waves way to the north where you started. I also wondered how the foil would fare with the debris in the water.

Left home on modest SSE, arrived just after 1pm to disappointing east wind. Full kite quiver today as wind picked up and went SE (didn't quite seem full SSE for too much). Lots of visible debris in the water and lots of little (and sometimes not so little) invisible debris knocking at my board. I found the waves to be "ok" but not quite what they can be.

Of all the forecasts I was looking at, it seems BWD1 was the only one that called it right. Strong part in the morning, then fade, then strong mid/late afternoon.
Mike

by Alton » Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:13 pm

Michael wrote:... Lots of debris and weeds made things worse. Being over powered while trying to dodge chunks of wood is not fun, hit lots of small ones with the foil but no damage ...

Mike wrote:... Lots of visible debris in the water and lots of little (and sometimes not so little) invisible debris knocking at my board...

Damn it :evil: This morning I just noticed a fin box on my surfboard got damaged from hitting wood. This might explain the drag I was experiencing.

I remounted the fin box with 5-minute epoxy (claims to be water resistant). Hope it will hold.
Alton

by Michael » Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:47 pm

Alton wrote:
Michael wrote:... Lots of debris and weeds made things worse. Being over powered while trying to dodge chunks of wood is not fun, hit lots of small ones with the foil but no damage ...

Mike wrote:... Lots of visible debris in the water and lots of little (and sometimes not so little) invisible debris knocking at my board...

Damn it :evil: This morning I just noticed a fin box on my surfboard got damaged from hitting wood. This might explain the drag I was experiencing.

I remounted the fin box with 5-minute epoxy (claims to be water resistant). Hope it will hold.

That's a drag Alton! I was surprised my foil had no dings in it!

Mike wrote:Michael, to my eye I thought you were doing well. I did wonder if there were better waves way to the north where you started. I also wondered how the foil would fare with the debris in the water.

Thanks Mike, I was trying really hard to make it work! There were a few waves around but nothing that big.
Michael

Previous

Return to Weather Talk and OSR