Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Monday Monster! Winds

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by bandito » Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:34 pm

11to 1 was not esy at all . then wind got less strong but much cleaner ,same wt water chop.

looks good tomorrow, but watch out for afternoon switch from SE to SW, not good then at 3rd but ok at White Cock.
bandito

by Alton » Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:25 pm

Crazy gusty SSE 25-30 full quiver day.

Underpowered on 5m+surfboard ... smooth head high waves ... walk of shame
Overpowered on 6m+surfboard ... smooth head high waves ... walk of shame
Dialed in on 8m+surfboard ... smaller waist high waves

BoundaryBay_Mon_Oct_25.gif
BoundaryBay_Mon_Oct_25.gif (26.38 KiB) Viewed 6784 times
Alton

by C36 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:58 pm

Face wash. Ferry sailings cancelled at Tsawwassen Terminal. Waited for the tide to ebb. Arrived to find a solid crew ripping around on small gear and then the wind got a little funky - a pattern that repeated throughout the day. Reports from the water varied from 'mellow onshore' to 'gusty and cold'. My first few rides were fully loaded on medium sail settings. Got my faced washed several times throughout the day. Water likely rolled over in the night as it felt cooler today. Flattened the sail out and the wind backed a bit and gear was now in the right range (still times when I thought I was going to be swimming in and others fully spoiled)! There was some roll to the water making for both snakes and ladders. Some bullet rain today. Nice to see passive income from both wetsuit boot rental concession and the first aid booth - sweet! Tank hit empty just before the wind got really light and patchy so timing worked out well again today. Full day on/in the water!

Gallery (to view as a slideshow click on the screen icon top right)
C36

by Ryan » Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:49 pm

Thanks for the pictures Dave! Jen and I made it out all the way from Squamish. 4 to 6.15 at the boat launch ramp. Good steady wind. Enough waves for Jen to do 20 backloop attempts.
Ryan

by Jens » Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:09 pm

Great photos Dave!

Long day on the water, wind was quite up and down, at times way overpowered on 4.0 and other times slogging to shore for safety in fear it was done for, then it kicked back in and more fun was had. Scored a bonus hour at the end with Gleb were waves had formed steep and smooth on the outside for nicely linked turns. Been working on the onshore bottom turn with it going into switch stand and clew first, still need to tweak it even more to make it all the way back up to the lip, but it’s a good feeling. Been healing up a knee injury too and turns and jumps are starting to feel good again:) Hope we get more days like this next little while!

Got a few photos too from the day:
https://jenskristianballe.com/Private/Boundary-Bay-Oct-25-2021/2/thumbs
Jens

by Michael » Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:25 pm

Fun day but really up and down, 3.7 either overpowered or slogging.
Waves got really nice at the end but you had to way outside to find them and the wind was feeling really sketchy out there, so packed it in.
Thanks for the photos Dave.
Michael

by Mike » Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:42 am

Good day! - I'd describe it the same as others. Long session starting solo around 9ish (saw a couple of kites about the same time at 3rd). 3.7 was the call for most of it. 2X wind ramps right up and I thought this was the ferry cancelling storm on the way. 2X I rigged the 3.4 to find myself quite underpowered (wind did drop). So back to 3.7 - same mast!, re-rig fest. The underpowered 3.4 had me doing one long walk of shame from past the concession stand. My observation of this 3.4 (used but new to me) is that there is a surprising gap from 3.7. I thought this might be too close since I have a 0.8 size gap on other sails (exclude freesyle sail) that has worked well for years (3.7 / 4.5 / 5.3). Nice to see the windsurf and kite crowds in warm air conditions (starting later morning).
Mike

by C36 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:20 am

Mike wrote:Good day! - I'd describe it the same as others. Long session starting solo around 9ish (saw a couple of kites about the same time at 3rd). 3.7 was the call for most of it. 2X wind ramps right up and I thought this was the ferry cancelling storm on the way. 2X I rigged the 3.4 to find myself quite underpowered (wind did drop). So back to 3.7 - same mast!, re-rig fest. The underpowered 3.4 had me doing one long walk of shame from past the concession stand. My observation of this 3.4 (used but new to me) is that there is a surprising gap from 3.7. I thought this might be too close since I have a 0.8 size gap on other sails (exclude freesyle sail) that has worked well for years (3.7 / 4.5 / 5.3). Nice to see the windsurf and kite crowds in warm air conditions (starting later morning).

Thanks again Mike for the rip on the Grip 82!

Thanks for the photos Jens!
C36

by Mike » Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:12 am

C36 wrote:Thanks again Mike for the rip on the Grip 82!

Any time Dave. In reflection, I was amused by a certain "child like" looking at the Board as I was de-rigging that eventually triggered my memory from early this year when you indicated you wanted to give it a spin. :D
Mike

by Slappy » Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:04 pm

3 hours on the water, wind was pretty good, so much better than yesterday. Waves were okay, but mostly just big crumblers, hard to find any legit breaking waves. Driving rain hitting me in the upwind eye was rather annoying, not too many breaks in that rain. Fun to watch the boost fest in the late hours of the afternoon. Wind wave angle greatly favoured starboard tack but I suck at jumping starboard.

Slappy

PreviousNext

Return to Weather Talk and OSR