Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

SE Fall Friday

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by Mike » Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:22 pm

My window of opportunity was the earlier start on the LOW tide. Playing in the waves was good fun on 9M kite. After a couple of hours the wind bumped up a notch so gear a little too much doubtful control on the down wind waves runs.

Tomorrow morning looks weak but maybe.

Probably shouldn't say it, but maybe a good fall wind season coming up?
Mike

by Alton » Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:40 pm

Not as windy as graph or forecasts suggested. Only SE 20 in the morning and SSE 25 in the afternoon. Wind was accompanied with some punchy gusts and the occasional lulls.

8m+surfboard was the call. 6m+surfboard in the afternoon was too optimistic.

Regardless, it was an awesome wave session from 10am to 4pm. Fun sharing the powerful breaking waves at low tide with Mike. Surprisingly smooth swell in the afternoon.

What a great way to end the week :D

BoundaryBay_Fri_Sep_17.gif
BoundaryBay_Fri_Sep_17.gif (25.87 KiB) Viewed 6961 times
Alton

by Michael » Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:46 pm

Spent the day at Columbia Beach with a few Boundary Bay regulars turned Islanders, Dave C36 and the mid Island crew! Super fun day, nuking winds and nice swell, felt great to be over powered on the 4.7, probably should have been on 3.7 at the end but was too tired to re-rig. Got worked in the break a few times but was rewarded with more than a few nice wave rides. Great way to end 4 days on the island after 2 SUP days and an awesome wave sailing day at South Chestermans! Really nice to see all the Island crew again, hope to be back soon!
Michael

by 8mdude » Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:54 pm

Michael wrote:Spent the day at Columbia Beach with a few Boundary Bay regulars turned Islanders, Dave C36 and the mid Island crew! Super fun day, nuking winds and nice swell, felt great to be over powered on the 4.7, probably should have been on 3.7 at the end but was too tired to re-rig. Got worked in the break a few times but was rewarded with more than a few nice wave rides. Great way to end 4 days on the island after 2 SUP days and an awesome wave sailing day at South Chestermans! Really nice to see all the Island crew again, hope to be back soon!

Good sailing with you and C36 at CB. I was working really hard with 3.7. 3.1 would have been more manageable
8mdude

by johnyz » Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:49 pm

Super fun session in Boundary Bay - here is some footage from Kitehomiez :D
With Matt Parkes :)

johnyz

by Jens » Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:08 pm

Missed days like that, lots of familiar faces and good waves in varies spots throughout the day, some really big ones far out later on with lots of power for fun turns, felt really cold when I arrived but once in the water very comfortable with no booties, lots of weeds already, Sailed 4.5 depowered, right choice for me, tried out some shorter weed fins as well with good result, board felt a bit more playful on the waves and could still keep upwind. Almost called it quits after wind picked up even more and I was too overpowered for comfort, but luckily it had dropped a couple knots again after a break. Hopefully it’s a sign of what’s to come for the fall:)
Jens

by shmish » Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:09 am

I got some southerly leftovers at Porteau Cove on Saturday. Vic and I showed up around noon and it looked to be maybe 20kn. By the time we got out there it had fallen flat. We bobbed our way out, chasing an elusive wind line. Nothing happening.

Bobbed our way back and there were a few gusts at the shore. We both got up on the foils. That one gust was enough to keep us moving for a complete reach. Kind of bobbed back, got a gust and reached outside, repeat a couple of times and then it filled in enough for a great session. Almost 2 hrs, probably around 16kn. I was on a retro 5.5, Vic was on his 7.0 flyer.

The icing on the cake? The pièce de résistance? NO DELAYS ON THE IRON WORKERS BRIDGE coming home.
shmish

by ZeroR2 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:58 am

Just curious. What do you use as a forecast for Porteau Cove? Can I use Squamish and knock off 10 knots? Like to hear some input on what to use. Thanks.
ZeroR2

by Alton » Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:28 am

Mike - forgot to ask. When we were riding the waves at low tide, did you notice a strong fishy smell?
Alton

by shmish » Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:24 pm

ZeroR2 wrote:Just curious. What do you use as a forecast for Porteau Cove? Can I use Squamish and knock off 10 knots? Like to hear some input on what to use. Thanks.

It’s a bit of a mystery to me. Saturday looked promising because the Howe Sound forecast was 15kn and Pam Rocks, which is just a bit upwind of PC, was reading 13kn. PC will usually be windier than Pam Rocks because it narrows between Anchor Island and the mainland.

During the summer the Howe Sound forecast will say 15kn up to 20 in the northern sections almost every day. Some days it works at PC, some it doesn’t. It seems to be more reliable in July (Brian also told me June) than August. If It’s a summer thermal and Pam Rocks says more than 9, I think there’s a good chance PC will be 14 or more.

If it’s a big day at Squamish, it should work at PC.

I casually noticed that if the water is glassy-ish near horseshoe bay, there won’t be enough wind at PC.
shmish

PreviousNext

Return to Weather Talk and OSR