Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

SE Fall Friday

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by ZeroR2 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:54 pm

shmish wrote:
ZeroR2 wrote:Just curious. What do you use as a forecast for Porteau Cove? Can I use Squamish and knock off 10 knots? Like to hear some input on what to use. Thanks.

It’s a bit of a mystery to me. Saturday looked promising because the Howe Sound forecast was 15kn and Pam Rocks, which is just a bit upwind of PC, was reading 13kn. PC will usually be windier than Pam Rocks because it narrows between Anchor Island and the mainland.

During the summer the Howe Sound forecast will say 15kn up to 20 in the northern sections almost every day. Some days it works at PC, some it doesn’t. It seems to be more reliable in July (Brian also told me June) than August. If It’s a summer thermal and Pam Rocks says more than 9, I think there’s a good chance PC will be 14 or more.

If it’s a big day at Squamish, it should work at PC.

I casually noticed that if the water is glassy-ish near horseshoe bay, there won’t be enough wind at PC.

Thank you. Is this correct? The only "Live Wind" meters are at Pam Rocks and Squamish Spit? I just subscribed to IWindsurf Pro and really wonder if it is worth it. I guess a wind meter at PC would not provide much value anyway, considering the wind is hundreds of meters in the bay.
ZeroR2

by Mike » Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:08 pm

Last edited by Mike on Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike

by Mike » Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:09 pm

Alton wrote:Mike - forgot to ask. When we were riding the waves at low tide, did you notice a strong fishy smell?

I did not notice this. Maybe it's your wetsuit from kiting at squamish :lol:

However, I noticed the next day my car smells. Not typical and I assumed the direction of rain got some water inside the back when I was unloading etc. Though it looks dry now.
Mike

Previous

Return to Weather Talk and OSR