Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Westerly Saturday

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by LeopardSkin » Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:15 pm

Richi wrote:...so I can try the wing ding thing.

Is it wing ding thing, wing dinger, butterfly thing, wing foiling, etc.? I'd just like to know what the cool kids are calling it now.
LeopardSkin

by Brian C » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:06 pm

[quote="Alton"]A most memorable day in Vancouver. After an epic session at Cypress, I quickly beated up to Acadia (from Spanish Banks) on 7m+surfboard. Perfectly dialed in with full de-power in steady WNW 25-30. Epic chest high waves with huge clean sections between. Stoked to share the waves with hard core windsurfers (Johnny, C36, Brian?) and kiters (Chuck, Dan, Daniel, Ben ... and many more). The warm of the strong afternoon sun made it almost feel tropical.

Yup , that was me Alton. Had a blast at Acadia on 4.3/85 litres, and initially on 4.3/95. Loved the waves, warmish sun, and waist deep water.
Sailed from about 11 - 130 with one break for food and the board switch. I LOVE ACADIA on days like that!
Brian C

by C36 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:43 pm

Similar. Found universal reunited with its owner’s family. Similar to last Sunday, but colder, slightly more work, slightly smaller swell, and slightly less fun. Got a text about 9 am as I was headed to the beach saying the “…wind dropping…” and it blew for another nine hours! Wind was a bit punchy. 4.5/92 felt a little small on medium at first then ran it full flat the rest of the session. Gloves off, on, off, on, and off again. Some more testing-the-water-jumping today. Temp was five degrees when I took to the water and eight degrees when I came off, but it was still a cold wind. Decent turnout, despite the cold temp - someone counted 10 windsurfers out at the peak. Hard to drive away at 2:30 pm after watching its last big exhale. Glad to see Jens was on it.

Pre-Session OSR
Gallery (to view as a slideshow click on the screen icon top right)
C36

by Roxstock » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:50 pm

Alton wrote:A most memorable day in Vancouver. After an epic session at Cypress, I quickly beated up to Acadia (from Spanish Banks) on 7m+surfboard. Perfectly dialed in with full de-power in steady WNW 25-30. Epic chest high waves with huge clean sections between. Stoked to share the waves with hard core windsurfers (Johnny, C36, Brian?) and kiters (Chuck, Dan, Daniel, Ben ... and many more). The warm of the strong afternoon sun made it almost feel tropical.

Called it quits after 2.5 hrs TOW when Acadia waves started getting disorganized.

spanish_bank_with_ski_mountain.jpg

Jericho_Sat_Apr_10.gif

Errrrm, that’s not cypress mountain.
Roxstock

by Alton » Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:17 pm

Roxstock wrote:Errrrm, that’s not cypress mountain.

You're right. Too far west.
Alton

by shmish » Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:22 pm

I needed to satisfy my curiosity so I went to the FT at 8 hoping for good wind and flat water. Got the former but not much of the latter. The wind started W and then turned NW. Super gusty going from 10kn to 20kn. It was fun when it hit but lots of slogging. Hands got really cold.

Made my way to Locarno. Had my Roberts which wouldn't be the right board for Acadia. Sailed on a 4.6 until I couldn't sheet in any more. Rigged up a 3.8 for a few more runs and finally rigged down some time after 3.

I think I'm finally getting a good handle on all this gear I have. Hopefully there's one or two more days like today before I get my hernia operation on the 23rd. I think recovery time for that could be 4-6 weeks. I would like to join others at Acadia.
shmish

by Slappy » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:54 am

Dunno what you are talking about "felt tropical" Alton, it was damn cold yesterday and for 20 minutes that the sun went behind a cloud it was freezing.

A fun session in the sunshine though. Waves were a bit smaller than I expected given the wind. Tide and waves never really lined up for decent breakers but still fun mushy crumblers to be had.

Slappy

by Jens » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:32 am

Thanks for the photos Dave!

Glad I made it out for the afternoon and got joined by a few others, sailed 89 with flatten out 5.0 felt like right choice to stay upwind with the incoming tide. Not much for waves, but some small stuff to play with. Very chilly though!
Jens

Previous

Return to Weather Talk and OSR