Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Sunday Westerly

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by Mike » Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:28 pm

Arrived at Acadia, pulled out Board and realized I brought the wrong one. Rigged 5.3 with Grip (82L) and it was fine and fun but sailing maybe like I was 15 years younger (plenty powered - though not actually overpowered). 86L and 4.5 would have been the more natural choice for situation. Came in to try 4.5 as was getting tired but reports shortly after was dropping wind. Went to kite (wind apparently back up). 9M and kite surfboard are probably the best Acadia set up. Crank upwind and ruthlessly play with waves. Waves are quick moving downwind so work on skills to develop timing to be in position for hard frontside cutbacks on steeper parts then meet the next one. Sometime skill, mostly luck, some misses. I surveyed various areas including past Acadia and, on average, it seemed "dog beach bay" was best. Over my "legal limit" again for TOW but holding up good.

Arrived early with it just being me and Chris (and no kiters). Left after noon to large turn out of kiters and windsurfers.
Mike

by Alton » Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:58 pm

Mike - were the Acadia waves better in the early morning when I was kiting with you and Chris (windsurfing)?

Or were the Acadia waves better in the late morning when you were kiting?

In the late morning I was enjoying the breaking waves around Dog Beach and never returned to Acadia.
Alton

by vtsarkov » Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:09 pm

Thanks for the OSR!

Launched at Locarno at 10:20 am with 4.8 + 105L when the wind seemed to be dying off.

The wind was consistent. My search for better waves took me upwind, first to Spanish Banks, and then to Acadia. Only did a few reaches there as I was already quite tired. Fun downwinder back to Locarno. Just over 3h ToW.
---

-Vadim
vtsarkov

by Mike » Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:13 pm

Alton wrote:Mike - were the Acadia waves better in the early morning when I was kiting with you and Chris (windsurfing)?

Or were the Acadia waves better in the late morning when you were kiting?

I would say estimate they were better early. It's not that there were not Waves (and sone nice ones) when I was kiting later, but I found dog Beach Waves to be smoother and more predictable and rows.
Mike

by Alton » Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:18 pm

Fourth Sunday wave day!!! From Spanish Bank at 7:30am Dmitri and I were the first kiters on the water with 9m+surfboard in steady W 20-22. Riding with straps on my surfboard made it super easy to beat up to Acadia. Enjoyed the epic over chest high clean breaking waves with Mike and Chris (windsurfing). Tons of bottom turns and smooooth gybes.

Took a break for water when the wind weakened ... then returned to Dog Beach for even more fun wave rides.

Called it quits after 3 hrs TOW when beating upwind against the Spanish Bank chop wore me out.

What a fantastic way to celebrate Easter.
Attachments
Jericho_Sun_Apr_4.gif
Jericho_Sun_Apr_4.gif (12.39 KiB) Viewed 6135 times
Alton

by Michael » Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:59 pm

Sounds like a fun day at Acadia! TAF was showing the wind dying early so I stayed close to home but I probably should have trusted BWD and joined you guys for some fun in the waves. Tsawwassen was fun for a while but I feel like I've out grown the hypernut for winging. It's starting to feel like a barge and has a mind of its own when I try to turn in over 20 knots. Lots of kiters and wingers but no windsurfers. Flat water seekers would have had a blast today. Not sure about you guys but it was COLD, wtf that was not an April session!
Attachments
tsawwasseneaster.jpg
tsawwasseneaster.jpg (1.87 MiB) Viewed 6100 times
Michael

by shmish » Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:50 pm

Returned to Locarno but 8 knots on the Jericho meter, a low tide and still cold... I decided to not take out the windfoil. Another hour in the morning would have been best but still pretty satisfied with this morning's session.
shmish

by Alton » Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:20 pm

An easter egg from Michael ... nice one !!!

easter.png
easter.png (603.66 KiB) Viewed 6096 times
Alton

by john m » Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:53 pm

https://youtu.be/z3Kw7X5J8yQ
Had a great day at Acadia
john m

by Michael » Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:37 pm

Alton wrote:An easter egg from Michael ... nice one !!!

easter.png

Good job Alton, you get the golden bunny! :D

john m wrote:https://youtu.be/z3Kw7X5J8yQ
Had a great day at Acadia

Thanks for the video John!
Michael

PreviousNext

Return to Weather Talk and OSR