Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Sunday

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by Mike » Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:59 am

Sorry about the lack of earlier OSR. I arrived and it was very un certain. Managed almost a half hour on 5.3. Got greedy on waves and plus with diminishing wind ended up downwind. One kiter out also and still going.
Mike

by Michael » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:02 am

Mike wrote:Sorry about the lack of earlier OSR. I arrived and it was very un certain. Managed almost a half hour on 5.3. Got greedy on waves and plus with diminishing wind ended up downwind. One kiter out also and still going.

Nice score Mike, saw you on the webcam, thought it might be you.
Michael

by Mike » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:31 am

Update. After my osr, wind seemed up again so logged another 15 minutes - diminished waves. Then another walk up the beach... 2 kiters out, not sure if I will join.
Mike

by Michael » Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:07 pm

Super fun day! Nice to get out with Dan, been a long time, and the other winging crew! I get why everyone wings down at 3rd, not only is there lots of water but there some sweet breaking waves there. At first I was feeling a little over powered but it's nice to have enough wind to pop on the foil instantly. Had one funny moment when I crashed on the outside, when my head came up from under the water the wing behind me took off pulling my fist right into my lip, nothing like punching yourself in the face. Wearing 2 leashes takes some getting used to. Wind settled and I got warmed up then things got fun. Made a few jibes, still not foiling all the way through but close, started switching to an underhanded grip on the handle second to the front and it works great when flipping the wing. Also was able to sail switch out of my jibes on starboard tack but couldn't get on the foil. Got some sweet wave rides on the inside near 3rd, then when I was coming in up near the boat launch at the end of my session there were some beauties, not big but I got my best rides yet had one that felt like SUP surfing at Long Beach. It's amazing the sensation the foil adds to waist high wind swell.
Michael

by Michael » Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:16 pm

Did anyone get caught out in that hail storm?
Michael

by imdmitry » Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:01 pm

Another great day today. Was out from 9am till 1pm. Started on 5m and foil. Good waves, had few crashes falling from probably 2m high, 1m wave + 1m wave, scary but fun. It's so easy to go upwind and do a downwinder on foil.
Then wind become gusty I end up downwind at Centenial but was able to come back. Took a break and went out again on 9m and tt.
No flat water today tide stayed high even till 1pm. I sail till I saw dark clowds comming, decided to come back even though wind was great 25kn. 15 min later hail started and wind died, no one had to swim back.
imdmitry

by Jacko » Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:38 pm

Michael wrote:Did anyone get caught out in that hail storm?

...yes, kind of.. had great session on TT, started on 12m... around 12 pm... one tack; back to the shore and changed to 15m flysurfer soul.. it was perfect afternoon 1.5 hrs.. noticed that I was the last one on the water , barely made it to the shore, wind literally died in 5 seconds..thanks to couple guys catching me and deflating my 12 m... 2 minutes later hail storm came... it was fun rolling my kite and shaking ice of it...
Jacko

by Michael » Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:58 pm

Jacko wrote: barely made it to the shore, wind literally died in 5 seconds..

Glad you made it back it was a crazy storm!
Michael

Return to Weather Talk and OSR