Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Tuesday Jan 5th.

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by Brian C » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:27 pm

Jens, you mentioned using your stock fins. I have done the same, in my small board, during the last two sessions. Haven’t had any weed problems so I think we are past that for the rest of the winter. A “pointer” fin may still catch a few weeds but regular wave fins seem fine now.

I don’t have a very small weed-wave fin so it helps being able to use a small regular fin when sailing small sails.
Brian C

by Jens » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:45 pm

Brian C wrote:Jens, you mentioned using your stock fins. I have done the same, in my small board, during the last two sessions. Haven’t had any weed problems so I think we are past that for the rest of the winter. A “pointer” fin may still catch a few weeds but regular wave fins seem fine now.

I don’t have a very small weed-wave fin so it helps being able to use a small regular fin when sailing small sails.

Yea I think so too. I have had zero issues with weeds. My weed fins are 20cm and 10cm side compared to stock 18cm and 12 side. I find the stock fins a lot more playfull and turny.
Jens

by tweegster » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:49 pm

Arrived around 2pm at 3rd and it looked pretty crazy. Shawn and I drove back to WR hoping it would be a few knots less.

WR was alternating East to NE, 0-20knots. Two other guys were out so I decided to setup, figuring it would sort itself out. I got a few runs, but it kept switching offshore and was super sketchy. At dusk the gusts were hitting 30 knots, but still alternating to offshore with lulls. Terrible and dangerous.

After dark it finally switched SE and turned on.

:?
tweegster

by Michael » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:59 pm

Thanks for the pictures Jens, crazy day!
This one sums it up, fully sheeted out on the 3.4 and tailwalking. :o

https://jenskristianballe.com/Private/B ... -5-2021/12
Michael

by C36 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:00 pm

:D :D :D
Great 'adventure' reports all! Great pictures Jens!

Michael wrote:...I can't believe how nice that sail is, I was really sceptical and almost didn't do it but glad I did. Even with the 3.4 I was over powered but felt mostly in control except for a few jumps. After a couple of reaches my confidence was up and sailed out a little farther. I found some nice waves on the outside, not big but lots of clean space between them and ripped into what felt like my fastest jibes ever, I was lit! It must have been close to 50 knots on the outside, I couldn't believe I actually made those jibes and survived, flipping that small sail was such a great feeling. Although the last reach I was totally out of control and just exploded into the water. A little shaken up after that I came back in and called it a day around 3:30. 2006 Revo saves the day, next trip to the Oregon Coast that sail is coming along!

Three thoughts:
  • Glad it was so much fun!
  • The guys who designed that sail (Bruce and Dale) have sailed more than a few windy days.
  • The Revo has twice as many battens as your KS3.
:D ;)
C36

by Simon » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:02 pm

Opted for the afternoon session, had a good hour on 3.7m / 84l. Some nice in control wave rides. Quit when things got silly. Will need to get a smaller sail if this continues :D
Simon

Previous

Return to Weather Talk and OSR