Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

RIP Kevin Alstad.

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by babymama » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:57 am

I saw a post today from Kevin Lutz, that Kevin Alstad has passed away suddenly from cancer.
In my encounters with him, he was a polite and kind person.
I thought it is appropriate to share this feeling here in the home of wind lovers.
His warm personality and presence would be very much missed.
Last edited by babymama on Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
babymama

by Richi » Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:34 am

Thats terrible news. I worked with Kevin for a year and windsurfed with him over the years. He was always the guy with the biggest smile on the beach, so nice to talk to him before and after a session at Jericho. Windsurfing was his passion, I believe it was what made him move from Alberta to Vancouver years ago.
Im stunned and saddened, he will be missed.
Last edited by Richi on Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richi

by john m » Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:36 pm

So sorry to hear about Kevin passing. Always nice to see him at Jericho.
john m

by Alton » Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:22 pm

Very sad. Kevin was the first windsurfer I ever met in Vancouver. Super nice guy with a smile that always made my day. I'll miss him greatly.
Alton

by drh » Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:06 pm

I didn't really know Kevin but he was almost a fixture at Jericho Beach on a windsurfing day for many years. Always seemed to be a friendly guy. I wasn't aware that he was a guitar player but just found out that he played in a band. Here's a link to a YouTube video with his group (Slash and the Bleeding Hearts) live streaming just a few weeks ago: https://youtu.be/NzE0S9WI5-I
drh

by BigD » Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:04 pm

Wow that is terrible news. I met Kevin at the beginning of the covid summer and saw and chatted with him many times at the beach. Saw him at Nicola lake camping/foiling with his wife and friends in July as well. He retired only a little while ago. So sad. Reminder to get outside and enjoy the wind, waves and snow while we can.

Let us know if there is going to be a paddle out for him. Man that stings.
BigD

by adam2 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:55 pm

Oh man this is a tough one. I always new it was going to be a fun afternoon if I pulled in to the Locarno lot and Kevin's van was there, wind or not. I will really miss his friendly positive attitude. RIP.
adam2

by Rob Mulder » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:44 pm

Kevin , one of the kindest people one could ever meet. I met him when he came out to Vancouver. I’m sure most of us met him for the first time at Jericho beach . Kevin was a instant friend ,a person I didn’t have to get to know because Kevin was Kevin a quality you don’t run into very often , a long lost brother .His smile, caring energy and soft nature will be missed not to mention hearing his voice hollering out “right on!” any time you sailed within screaming distance. Seeing Kevin having fun on the water and being stoked about windsurfing just made me smile. We will remember him and de great full for time that we had with him.

Sail on Kevin Alstad

Rob Mulder
Rob Mulder

by mjamero » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:05 am

I liked Kevin. Always friendly and always encouraging. I was intimidated as a new windsurfer when I first started sailing at Locarno a few years ago fresh out of Windsure; sailing with the "Big Boys". Kevin made me feel instantly welcomed, at ease, and like I belonged there. He was a wealth of windsurfing knowledge and experience. I admired Kevin's passion for windsurfing and for life. When I go to Locarno the first thing I do when I arrive is look to see how many Kevins are there (Kevin Lutz and Keven Alstad, collectively known as "K2"). If there is one Kevin it's always a great day at Locarno. Two Kevin's guarantees a spectacular day. This coming season will be strange without Keven Alstad. Sail on Kevin.
mjamero

by Ryan » Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:10 pm

That's terrible news. He was such a nice person.
Ryan

Next

Return to Weather Talk and OSR