Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

SUP,Surf

When there's absolutely no wind

by Slappy » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:55 pm

I used to surf Sombrio back in the 90s when I lived in Vic. It's decent but requires a West swell direction to be any good. Back then we didn't have the good weather prediction we have now so it was much more hit and miss than Tofino.

If it was just a case of gas though, no question spend the extra $30 and go to Tofino.

Now if you have a chance of scoring an elusive JR day then it's worth it.
User avatar
Slappy
 
Posts: 1051
Joined: Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:31 am

by bandito » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:07 pm

very nice beach spot wt beach brakes to hang out and less aggressive/territorial then just before Jordan river. check out magicseaweed for predictions. I suspect ok winds and fun swell on strong 20 + North west and lots of beach to launch....

squared wrote:Thanks for the pic/video! I'll haul myself out of bed to scope it out. I finally got myself a nice log and have been getting out to Tofino/Wa over the past year but would be happy to catch a ripple if it didn't involve a 5+hour drive or ferry.

I'll be sure to submit a claim to the correct department.

Also, has anyone been out to sombrio? My friend and I are going to head over sometime to check it out because it's half the gas to Tofino.
bandito
 
Posts: 566
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:09 pm

by gabrielb » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:11 am

Ballenas sisters 18-23 , 3 readings
Halibut 19-23 1 reading

Even at 0.5 mHB 3am ... Next reading 0.8m at 5am then 1m at 6am 0.8m at 7am

That's what it looks like. But you never know
gabrielb
 
Posts: 1615
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:13 am

by gabrielb » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:18 am

suprised it went as forecasted.

hb.JPG
hb.JPG (31.51 KiB) Viewed 523 times


probably the lousiest 1mHB I ever experienced because of tide.

5-7am @WB . Adam joined at 5:45, KD at 7am.

5:30-6am was ok at last buoy.

until next time.
gabrielb
 
Posts: 1615
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:13 am

by gabrielb » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:58 am

7-820am ... no wind.

that's usually the case when forecast is not nuking.

around 9 am it starts again

ACADIA.JPG
ACADIA.JPG (22.44 KiB) Viewed 513 times


I am not into weather sat imaging, I just see patterns ... somebody else may explain it.

WB was windy 300 meter out (7-8am) , 15+ knots, it would have been good for kite surfing with the low tide and waves were far out too .. but it's all about timing and know where to go.

hb is now 0.7 @8am ... smaller waves.

incoming tide at 8am may look like a good choice for ambleside at 6ft tide ... but the 0.9m@7am can't get into inlet until acadia wind shows up. too late now at 9am, 0.6mHB
aside.JPG
aside.JPG (48.43 KiB) Viewed 502 times
gabrielb
 
Posts: 1615
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:13 am

by squared » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:27 pm

Ok, cool. I spent the last couple of days doing type-2 fun in the mountains so I was planning on getting out next week. Fingers crossed!
squared
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:45 pm

by mtb » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:35 pm

still haven't actually surfed wb or met anyone from this forum yet! managed to get out to tofino in june and was met with a mix of sunny/rainy weather, caught some good waves. planning to head to la push this august, there's a spot you can camp right in front of, right on the beach (second beach). anyone been?

i'm eyeing a potential wb session tmrrw morning, chances aren't great but would be nice to steal one in weather like this. one thing i noticed while looking into the wind; my ikitesurf app and the ikitesurf website are showing somewhat significantly different readings of wed/thurs. has anyone had this issue? and anyone want to weigh in on tmrrw or thurs morn? based on wind and mid-low tide, seems like something if hb reads well. early, like 5-6 am.

in either case, i'm on pat leave this autumn-early winter. should be able to get away whenever the waves show up as i am a 5 min drive from wb. look forward to bumping into one or two of you guys then!
mtb
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:34 am

by keeldude » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:56 pm

The ikitesurf app which is pretty much the same as wind alert I believe shows two main settings, quicklook and quicklook plus. It seems to be an aggregate of some of the usual wind models. Quicklook plus gives you more sensitive detail for the next 12 hours and seems to be available for free on the app but not the website. I find the actual value to lie somewhere between the two numbers.

Looking grim for near term local forecast but your best bet is WB at 6am Thursday. tide is probably too high before then and the Halibut bank buoy is unlikely to surpass about 0.6m (the absolute bare minimum for anything to show up at WB).0.8m is when it has potential to have fun waves, though lately the waves seem to show up even smaller than reported at the buoy. Happy hunting!
User avatar
keeldude
 
Posts: 261
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:03 pm
Location: East Van

by mtb » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:44 pm

keeldude wrote:The ikitesurf app which is pretty much the same as wind alert I believe shows two main settings, quicklook and quicklook plus. It seems to be an aggregate of some of the usual wind models. Quicklook plus gives you more sensitive detail for the next 12 hours and seems to be available for free on the app but not the website. I find the actual value to lie somewhere between the two numbers.

Looking grim for near term local forecast but your best bet is WB at 6am Thursday. tide is probably too high before then and the Halibut bank buoy is unlikely to surpass about 0.6m (the absolute bare minimum for anything to show up at WB).0.8m is when it has potential to have fun waves, though lately the waves seem to show up even smaller than reported at the buoy. Happy hunting!


yeah, exactly. it's gunna come down to hb buoy. would just be nice to get in in this weather, i doubt i'll be surfing that early in the am in weather like this here very often... i agree w/ you on thursday but my app is showing NW gusts of over 20mph from midnight to 5am wednesday morning, numbers that don't show up on the website's readings at all. tide will be around 8ft.
mtb
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:34 am

by Slappy » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:06 pm

The odds of the wind in the Straight reaching higher than the EC forecast is very rare.

South Straight:
becoming southerly 5 to 10 early this evening then increasing to southeast 10 to 15 near midnight. Wind diminishing to light late overnight then becoming northwest 5 to 15 late Wednesday morning


North Straight:
Wind light increasing to northwest 10 to 20 knots late this evening then diminishing to light late Wednesday morning


If what you are going off of is the WeatherFlow "Plus" forecast I wouldn't be too hopeful, it always forecasts high.
User avatar
Slappy
 
Posts: 1051
Joined: Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:31 am

PreviousNext

Return to SUP and Surfing