Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

White Rock/Acadia today

Windsurfing shop talk

by Michael » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:41 am

Anyone at White Rock? Might be headed there if things don't die off soon.
Posts: 2006
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:31 pm

by Michael » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:29 am

Headed to Acadia with Dave.
Posts: 2006
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:31 pm

by Mike » Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:14 pm

Pretty intense lauch situation today at Acadia that I would not recommend. High tide with rocks and shore break. Bigger waves had enough side current to pull you down. That was all managable but the really issue was floating logs. Was workable if kept an eye out, timed it and moved fast but wouldn't want things to go poor as it could be really bad.

Once lauched it was pretty solid. Nice ridable waves (Acadia style) combined with mixed up waves.

Enjoyed with Dave (saw a back loop attempt with board nose getting in the right place to pull off the landing), Michael and ______ (sorry, forgot name). One other was a casuality of the launch (he was ok, but not the gear).
Posts: 512
Joined: Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:30 am

by Michael » Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:43 pm

Mike wrote:One other was a casuality of the launch (he was ok, but not the gear).
Oh no, I thought something might have happened. I timed it right and once out stayed out until I came in at the end down at Dog Beach with Dave. It was challenging, had to adjust my sail on the water, over powered, as well as stop and warm my hands a few times just floating off the beach. A few nice wave rides were had but jumping felt weird. Down at Dog Beach Dave and I decided to end the session with a downwinder to get a few more wave rides in. That got a little sketchy as the wind started to die and I ended up with a bit of a swim in.
Posts: 2006
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:31 pm

by nicolas » Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:45 pm

Arrived at Dog Beach around 12:20pm. Saw Dave and Michael in a downwinder riding the waves. Wind seemed to be dying. However could see there was still some wind once past the short wind shadow. Rigged 4.8 along with my 80l board and sailed for 2 hours in the sun. Wind picked up for the last hour of awesome sailing fully powered in the sun which felt nice and warm. Super happy I decided to push myself to go even though temperatures were scheduled to drop in the afternoon. Did not feel the temp drop in the sun. Enjoyed sailing with the seagulls :D
Went to Acadia at first and talked to Tom who had just finished. He told me somebody damaged his gear trying to launch on the high tide. Decided to play it safe and launch from Dog Beach.
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:50 pm

by C36 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:05 am

Acadia (2020 Feb 1)




Vitamin D. Didn't think there was enough wind when I first saw the water driving by Jericho - it almost looked glassy, but the wind kept getting better and better as I drove further west to Acadia. The trees had been ‘trimmed’ so there is a panoramic view now. Launching was sketchy (complete with floating logs) even at Upper Acadia. Only hit one piece of wood while out (out at the edge of the bank - didn't even see it in the murky water). Swell was better than average for Acadia. Some of the wind swell was big enough to look up at and there were some smooth bowls too. Wind had some south in the west. Jumping favorited to port (which made all of my back loop attempts look like spastic pinwheels). When the wind started to back Tsawwassen and I did downwinder to Westbank Beach concession (aka kite beach). Got one full front side wrap complete with rail slide at the lip at a mini-point break east of Dog Beach (and then got rolled by its step-brother after rolling off the peak). Sans gloves (just). The vitamin D (sunshine) was a bonus after a month of rain.

Pre-Launch OSR 1
Pre-Launch OSR 2
Pre-Launch OSR 3

Gallery (to view as a slideshow hit the "screen" icon top-right)
User avatar
Posts: 2013
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:17 pm

Return to Windsurfing