Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Long Beach

Windsurfing shop talk

by Michael » Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:13 pm

4 hours on the ferry 5 hours driving, 3 wave rides, was it worth it? Hell ya!
Got worked at Long Beach, over head high waves but little to no wind made for a lot of swimming but a few great moments. Waves were bigger than I expected which made for a tough morning SUP, at one point I spent 20 minutes trying to get to the outside. Got rolled while I was coming back in and slammed into one of my fins. Glad it was my SUP and not my windsurfer, the day could of ended a lot differently. Long Beach is such a great place if the wind had of showed it would have been epic. Wish I could get out there more often, even with no wind it's just a blast being there. Thanks to the BWD crew for their help and stoke.

bruise.JPG
#photo Bruise
bruise.JPG (119.17 KiB) Viewed 22046 times

The black speck is BWD :o
BWD2.jpg
#photo BWD 2
BWD2.jpg (390.22 KiB) Viewed 22046 times
BWD1.jpg
#photo BWD 1
BWD1.jpg (399.87 KiB) Viewed 22046 times

No Exit!!!
Wave4.jpg
#photo Wave 4
Wave4.jpg (493.81 KiB) Viewed 22046 times

No wind at the Beach
Launch.jpg
#photo Launch
Launch.jpg (408.71 KiB) Viewed 22046 times

Punching Out
Wave3.jpg
#photo Wave 3
Wave3.jpg (461.31 KiB) Viewed 22046 times
Wave2.jpg
#photoWave 2
Wave2.jpg (549.58 KiB) Viewed 22046 times

The Pay Off

Wave1.jpg
#photo Wave 1
Wave1.jpg (541.43 KiB) Viewed 22046 times
Michael

by gabrielb » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:22 am

That's a nasty hit. Tofino in April delivers, surf has a nice size (sad that wind was not there for you guys). If I see Tofino over 6 ft I usually choose my smallest board and cover my head on wipeouts, those waves have so much power. But you nail a nice wave is a great feeling.
Must be the last remaining places where there is 0 pollution in the water and out.
gabrielb

by C36 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:42 am

Michael wrote:4 hours on the ferry 5 hours driving, 3 wave rides, was it worth it? Hell ya!...

AWESOME!!!
:D :D :D

Great pictures and video M! Thanks for sharing. Watching made me smile from the inside out and made me feel like I was there for a few moments. Thanks!

Love the first wave 'selection' in the video (looks like the wave choose you as much as you choose the wave).

Sweet spot for sure! You guys got treated to some big sets (SUP shot of BWD is great one). Great to see nice big clean walls at LB!

Glad the bruise was only a bruise.

I know it's tempting to hang with the locals on SUP, but you can usually dail-a-wave-size (smaller) by hiking north up the beach toward Esowista (the Indian Reservation) if getting out between Incinerator Rock (big) to Lufkin (bigger) proves a bit too much. Then start working your way back down until you find size you like and enjoy your personal sweet spot.

Looking forward the first time we share a session there!

Another great adventure! Thanks again for sharing!
:D :D :D
C36

by Mike » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:10 am

Thanks for sharing Michael, almost missed it if it wasn't for Dave's post. Good for you to challenge these light wind conditions! I recall all to well the feeling of just missing a wave in light wind then knowing you're out of position for the next one.
Mike

by george » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:53 am

Great job Michael. Just wondering where exactly that was? Was it South of incinerator, as Dave implied? Nice work to get the double session on sup and windsurfer.
Did you get the 515 ferry? How was the traffic on the island?
Thanks.
George
george

by C36 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:23 am

Full size pictures can be viewed here.
Then click on "original size". :D
C36

by Michael » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:44 am

Thanks guys lots of fun, I hope we can get a bunch of us out there one day.

george wrote:Great job Michael. Just wondering where exactly that was? Was it South of incinerator, as Dave implied? Nice work to get the double session on sup and windsurfer.
Thanks.
George

SUP we went out between the 2 rocks at Incinerator but by the time the wind picked up it was to big to get out there so we walked up to the bay just north of the parking lot to sail. As Dave said I should have SUPed up there at the beginning and BWD actually went back up there to SUP after we finished sailing as it was still too big to get out at Incinerator.
Yes, I got the 5:15 and returned on the 10:45, traffic wasn't bad on the Island but I took my time coming back so I could stop for a few naps, it's an exhausting day so be careful driving home!
Michael

by Michael » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:47 am

C36 wrote:Full size pictures can be viewed here.
Then click on "original size". :D

Thanks Dave they should be viewed full size, the go pro stills always make everything look so small and far away.
Michael

by C36 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:51 am

Michael wrote:Thanks guys lots of fun, I hope we can get a bunch of us out there one day.

george wrote:Great job Michael. Just wondering where exactly that was? Was it South of incinerator, as Dave implied? Nice work to get the double session on sup and windsurfer.
Thanks.
George

Michael wrote:SUP we went out between the 2 rocks at Incinerator but by the time the wind picked up it was to big to get out there so we walked up to the bay just north of the parking lot to sail. As Dave said I should have SUPed up there at the beginning and BWD actually went back up there to SUP after we finished sailing as it was still too big to get out at Incinerator.
Yes, I got the 5:15 and returned on the 10:45, traffic wasn't bad on the Island but I took my time coming back so I could stop for a few naps, it's an exhausting day so be careful driving home!

Easy solution silly: go for longer than a day trip! :D ;)
C36

by Michael » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:17 am

C36 wrote:Easy solution silly: go for longer than a day trip!

Too much work, better than not going at all. If I could have taken a few days I'd be going next weekend or the one following when others will probably be there.
I hope to go back again once I'm done this last project at the end of April, but it depends on the wind. Could also be a short Oregon Coast trip in May before the big one in June. I really need to work on my SUP skills!
Michael

Next

Return to Windsurfing