Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

The Official WTF OR Coast 2016 Thread

Windsurfing shop talk

by AdrienGrelon » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:49 pm

That's right, it's January and I'm already getting the hype going for the summer action to come :o

Starting this thread in the hopes that we can coordinate between all WTF members stoked on making the trip. I'm already going to preemptively mention at work that there will be a week sometime in June - July where I will be taking off to live the dream, if only shortly, down at Gold Beach and co. 8-) I believe Massimo will be joining me.

Let's use this thread to try to line up dates so we can get a big gang down there all at the same time, on a wicked forecast :D

To those who have been, I already have a question about the camping situation. Massimo and I are thinking about carpooling down for the trip. Is it possible to leave tents and other things at a given campsite during the day (to free up the car a bit) or is it typical to hop around from one campsite to the next?

STOKED
AdrienGrelon

by Michael » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:46 pm

AdrienGrelon wrote:That's right, it's January and I'm already getting the hype going for the summer action to come
The BWD crew has theirs going already as well! It's never to early to start talking about the coast. http://www.bigwavedave.ca/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8045&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
AdrienGrelon wrote:To those who have been, I already have a question about the camping situation. Massimo and I are thinking about carpooling down for the trip. Is it possible to leave tents and other things at a given campsite during the day (to free up the car a bit) or is it typical to hop around from one campsite to the next?

If you check out the BWD thread Dave posted a picture of the campsite in town. This is where everybody usually stays but there a few other options. Dave has a better idea of the campsites around the area. It's fine to leave your stuff there during the day. There are usually a few others that car pool and set up tents at the camp and leave them up the whole time. Are you planning on going during the competition?
Michael

by max.spock » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:47 pm

Can't wait!! Can we leave next week??? 8-) 8-)
max.spock

by C36 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:43 pm

AdrienGrelon wrote:To those who have been, I already have a question about the camping situation...

Questions? That was last year. No more questions! This is 2016! Now is the time for doing! The time has come to experience the raw unbridled power and fury of the south Oregon Coast!!!
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Oh... did I say that out loud. Silly me. :oops: Let's get back to your questions. :D ;)

AdrienGrelon wrote:To those who have been, I already have a question about the camping situation. Massimo and I are thinking about carpooling down for the trip. Is it possible to leave tents and other things at a given campsite during the day (to free up the car a bit) or is it typical to hop around from one campsite to the next?

Michael wrote:If you check out the BWD thread Dave posted a picture of the campsite in town. This is where everybody usually stays but there a few other options. Dave has a better idea of the campsites around the area. It's fine to leave your stuff there during the day. There are usually a few others that car pool and set up tents at the camp and leave them up the whole time. Are you planning on going during the competition?

Leave tents:
Yup. :D Leaving tents and sleeping gear is fine at the Curry County fairground. But you run the risk of having to scurry back to 'break camp' depending on what the day has on offer.
Fairground Campo, BWD 'Surf Camp' 2015

Other stuff:
Other stuff. Depends. :( I wouldn't leave anything of value unattended at the Fairground Campo - central location, full public access and not a lot of passive surveillance. Never tried, but it just doesn't feel right to me. I have felt very comfortable about day 'storing' surplus gear in my tent when staying at other private campgrounds like the Turtle Rock RV Park, but its a private campground with full time neighbours and very vigilant staff. Never had an issue there.

Hop around:
When I was younger I used to travel with a bed inside my van, boards on the roof.

Then I move to a damper locale where property thief was higher and started to stuff all my gear inside the van and sleep outside on trips. Sleeping inside is way more convenient when moving around. Sleeping in a tent is way more comfortable when you know your in one place, but a hassle when moving around. The trick is that the last few times 'breaking camp' seems to be happening more and more often (high heat: head to Bandon, again and again; freakishly large surf: head for Crescent Beach; end of cycle: head to Florence). As the 'tour director' once said, "I just got asked where we are going to be eating dinner tonight and I don't even know what town were going to be in." :D ;)

Last year I slept on top of my FSW 110 in the remaining 4" of space below the roof inside the van in a pinch at the 'Bandon campo' - not a very comfortable sleep, but it worked ~ :evil: :? :roll:

RRD FSW 110 'bunk bed', BWD 'Surf Camp' 2015

This year I am going to try a hybrid of sorts - I am going to tweak my inside space so I have a single upper bunk inside the van (daytime board storage, nighttime sleeping spot) and will relocate board(s) roof top to join SUP's and bike overnight while sleeping, if required (faster than 'breaking camp') for the trip down, moving around and trip home.

I tried out the prototype in JR this winter and seemed to work well. 8-) :D

:idea: The trouble is with two sharing the same vehicle you may want to go with the U-Haul option - TheLaw and Dunkinguy rented a U-Haul van and built a bunk bed/storage rack system for their vanpool ride on the 2015 BWD Surf Camp tour. From all reports it was quite 'cozy'.

:idea: I also heard that Redbaron has a lower bunk available.

Any way you look at it there are lots of ways to make it work. The important part is to make the trip. :D ;)
C36

by ShonanDB » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:22 pm

What are the approximate dates that the majority will be heading down as I want to make the trip this year and it would be good to sail with some familiar faces. Last 2 weeks of June or first 2 weeks of July?
DB
ShonanDB

by LeopardSkin » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:25 pm

Last year, the Pistol River Wave Bash was June 10 to 14.
LeopardSkin

by Michael » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:58 pm

LeopardSkin wrote:Last year, the Pistol River Wave Bash was June 10 to 14.

8-12 this year from windude's post on BWD.
I'll probably go after the competition maybe around the last 2 weeks of June depending on the forecast. Hopefully I can stay more than 4 days this time. :D
Michael

by C36 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:43 am

LeopardSkin wrote:Last year, the Pistol River Wave Bash was June 10 to 14.

Michael wrote:8-12 this year from windude's post on BWD.
I'll probably go after the competition maybe around the last 2 weeks of June depending on the forecast. Hopefully I can stay more than 4 days this time. :D

Details here.

ShonanDB wrote:What are the approximate dates that the majority will be heading down as I want to make the trip this year and it would be good to sail with some familiar faces. Last 2 weeks of June or first 2 weeks of July?
DB

Targeting the last week of June through the first week of July (but will push and pull based on forecast and when others are headed down).
C36

by AdrienGrelon » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:19 pm

Stoked! Thanks for all the answers and hype so far :D

I think the 2 car setup will probably be optimal from the sounds of it. For now I will set my window as end of June - first week of July. I would love to be there for the contest too, but my priority is my own sailing, and I can't have a handful of pros dropping in on me when I'm going for 15ft aerials and goiters 8-)

That Big Wave Dave thread already has me chuckling. Can't wait. Getting my converted wave machine and new fins in by end of week if all goes to plan.
AdrienGrelon

by C36 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:24 pm

AdrienGrelon wrote:Stoked! Thanks for all the answers and hype so far :D

I think the 2 car setup will probably be optimal from the sounds of it. For now I will set my window as end of June - first week of July. I would love to be there for the contest too, but my priority is my own sailing, and I can't have a handful of pros dropping in on me when I'm going for 15ft aerials and goiters 8-)

That Big Wave Dave thread already has me chuckling. Can't wait. Getting my converted wave machine and new fins in by end of week if all goes to plan.

I seem to remember Alton and Jordan did a 'pick-up truck pool' a few years back. You should ask them how it went. Pretty sure Ryan and Jen shared a car on their trip last year too.

This seemed like a pretty good option, until the night the horses got out... :shock:
C36

Next

Return to Windsurfing