Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Windsurfing Tofino

Windsurfing shop talk

by jtorva » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:51 pm

Planning on heading to Tofino this weekend and am hoping to catch some wind. Big Wave Dave is showing some NW wind for Saturday afternoon at Long Beach. I have successfully windsurfed in Tofino about 2 years ago. It is an incredible place to sail and i hope i can score a session this weekend. If not i'll be on the surfboard.

Jordan
Jordan
jtorva

by Craig » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:13 pm

Looking for info...JT or greater wtf collective...sorry to hijack.

heading to tofino for may long. Wondering what gear is best to take...i can't take it all as it is a 1. Family trip 2. Surf trip 3. Lastly a ws trip for me... i have a wavecult 88. Couple of sails?4.5 and 5.4? I weigh 175 to make a comparison and have little wave riding exp on the ws'er. Reasonable longboard surfer.
Craig

by spinmaster3000 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:00 pm

I haven't sailed there, personally, but I always pack as much gear as I can. I've never sailed on waves with anything larger than a 5.7 and do think those two sails will cover a decent range of (good) wind. 88L board will be pretty versatile! Bring what you can and if there isn't enough wind for it, surf!! It's usually boards that are more of the issue, but if you can only fit one sail (they'll likely rig on different masts, too) then I'd check the forecast and make a call from there....4.5 for me is 25 knots + and the 5.4 is probably a more natural size to pair with that board, besides, if you're overpowered on the 5.4, you can really flatten it out with your outhaul.

My two cents....sorry if it's not all that helpful.

Craig wrote:Looking for info...JT or greater wtf collective...sorry to hijack.

heading to tofino for may long. Wondering what gear is best to take...i can't take it all as it is a 1. Family trip 2. Surf trip 3. Lastly a ws trip for me... i have a wavecult 88. Couple of sails?4.5 and 5.4? I weigh 175 to make a comparison and have little wave riding exp on the ws'er. Reasonable longboard surfer.
spinmaster3000

by Craig » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:29 pm

Thanks Spinmaster! I think it might have to be a trial by fire situation that may or may not work out....excited to try though.
Craig

by spinmaster3000 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:47 pm

No probs! Good luck and have fun!!

Cheers,
Jeff.

Craig wrote:Thanks Spinmaster! I think it might have to be a trial by fire situation that may or may not work out....excited to try though.
spinmaster3000

by jtorva » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:33 am

My Advice for Tofino,

I have only sailed there once with 2 different sessions so my advice to the spot is very limited. Firstly, if there is limited wind say 15-20 knots i would stay on a big board (90 lt for myself) The waves aren't always the greatest there so you want a bigger board to catch as many waves as you can. If the wind starts to really pick up say 25 knots or more id drop down to a smaller board, in my case a 78lt quad.

I tend to rig bigger in general but i found it best to rig on the big side there as there can be some weird wind close to shore and you need the power to get out. The first session i was at North Chestermans and rigged a 5.5 in about 18 knots of wind and found i was struggling to get out. The next day in similar wind at Mackenzie beach i rigged a 6.3 and had an incredible 2 hour session ripping around.

This weekend I plan to sail at Long Beach, i'll probably launch from Incinerator Rock. It's a much more open beach with less wind shadows and will work on multiple wind directions. There is a NW wind in the forecast for Saturday afternoon. My guess is i'll be on a 5.5 and 90lt FSW board. I'll let you know how it goes.
Jordan
jtorva

by Brad R » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:52 am

Watch out for the nasty rips at incinerator Jordan... Sometimes difficult to waterstart in them
Brad R

by C36 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:24 am

Craig wrote:Looking for info...JT or greater wtf collective...sorry to hijack.

spinmaster3000 wrote:I haven't sailed there, personally, but I always pack as much gear as I can. I've never sailed on waves with anything larger than a 5.7 and do think those two sails will cover a decent range of (good) wind. 88L board will be pretty versatile! Bring what you can and if there isn't enough wind for it, surf!! It's usually boards that are more of the issue, but if you can only fit one sail (they'll likely rig on different masts, too) then I'd check the forecast and make a call from there....4.5 for me is 25 knots + and the 5.4 is probably a more natural size to pair with that board, besides, if you're overpowered on the 5.4, you can really flatten it out with your outhaul.

My two cents....sorry if it's not all that helpful.

jtorva wrote:My Advice for Tofino,

I have only sailed there once with 2 different sessions so my advice to the spot is very limited. Firstly, if there is limited wind say 15-20 knots i would stay on a big board (90 lt for myself) The waves aren't always the greatest there so you want a bigger board to catch as many waves as you can. If the wind starts to really pick up say 25 knots or more id drop down to a smaller board, in my case a 78lt quad.

I tend to rig bigger in general but i found it best to rig on the big side there as there can be some weird wind close to shore and you need the power to get out. The first session i was at North Chestermans and rigged a 5.5 in about 18 knots of wind and found i was struggling to get out. The next day in similar wind at Mackenzie beach i rigged a 6.3 and had an incredible 2 hour session ripping around.

This weekend I plan to sail at Long Beach, i'll probably launch from Incinerator Rock. It's a much more open beach with less wind shadows and will work on multiple wind directions. There is a NW wind in the forecast for Saturday afternoon. My guess is i'll be on a 5.5 and 90lt FSW board. I'll let you know how it goes.

Lots of good advice. I have spent a little over 3 weeks out in Tofino in the last year (mostly summer with weekend trips in March and May) so I am still learning the area too, but here is what I would suggest:

• Think of taking windsurfing gear to Tofino as insurance - you likely won't use it (but you have it in case it cranks)
  • First time wavesailing - size up one board size (more float will make getting out, positioning to catch waves and catching waves WAY easier)
  • 5.4 is likely the largest you want to use for wave sailing (slog out and use the power of the wave to assist with planning); bigger sails if you want to windsurf (use mainly the power of the wind)
  • Afternoon lower tides this weekend will likely favour Long Beach over Chesterman (north or south) - tide of 1.5 to 1 m greatly reduce the amount of sailable water in the inside at Chesterman (both)
  • You can choose wave height at Long Beach on a west swell (dominant swell forecast for this weekend) as the further north of Incinerator Rock you go, the smaller the swell will likely be
  • Chesterman (both) can have more wind than Long Beach, but less wave (which in combination can be a good thing for your first time 'playing in the waves')

Brad R wrote:Watch out for the nasty rips at incinerator Jordan... Sometimes difficult to waterstart in them

Haven't noticed too much right at Intercinerator Rock, do you mean down by south of the launch near Lovekin Rock?

Hope there is something in this that is of use to you. Enjoy your trip! :D You too JD! :D
C36

by Craig » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:35 am

thanks Dave, Brad.
I agree, it will be insurance. We normally stay on S Chestermans so having the rig there ready to go would be a plus. We are staying closer to town in a house so if I go it will be more of a chore with the drive, rig, suit up, sail, suit down, de rig, drive.....

You mention slogging....I hate slogging.....but I guess it is a function of wave sailing that I will have to get used to. I much prefer over powered conditions than underpowered but have no reference to the power of the wave and how this factors into the choice...Not to mention wind direction (on-shore, side-shore) rips, wave period...etc. etc.

I am very familiar with Tofino for surfing, but windsurfing will be a new animal...

Craig
Craig

by C36 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:48 am

Craig wrote:thanks Dave, Brad.
I agree, it will be insurance. We normally stay on S Chestermans so having the rig there ready to go would be a plus. We are staying closer to town in a house so if I go it will be more of a chore with the drive, rig, suit up, sail, suit down, de rig, drive.....

You mention slogging....I hate slogging.....but I guess it is a function of wave sailing that I will have to get used to. I much prefer over powered conditions than underpowered but have no reference to the power of the wave and how this factors into the choice...Not to mention wind direction (on-shore, side-shore) rips, wave period...etc. etc.

I am very familiar with Tofino for surfing, but windsurfing will be a new animal...

Craig

Your local knowledge will serve you well. Power in the sail will make you feel more comfy and in control windsurfing, but will make it harder to slow down and wait for waves (you may find yourself racing around between sets). I'll make a sweeping generalization and say power of the wave is worth maybe half a sail size (if the waves are big and clean). If the wind shows up you may want to try side onshore or sideshore to begin with (onshore can be tough) and then progress to side-off if your comfy - Chesterman North and South can be good for this as it gives you options (can start with one step up and move across to try something else. If launching at North Chesterman in onshore wind - try launching from up at the change house as decribed here.
C36

Next

Return to Windsurfing