Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Uncivilized afternoon wind Tuesday

Windsurfing shop talk

by Brian C » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:26 pm

I couldn’t make it down south today for the main show, but scored a fun hour at Ambleside in the warm late-afternoon sun. Arrived at 4pm as the kiters were just hitting the water, mostly on 10m. Rigged 5.7 but it built so I took out 5.0/95 litres when I launched just before 430. Great at first but soon had to switch to the 5.7 that was ready on the beach. Sailed until 530 in the fun waves, until the holes got too frequent so I called it a successful session by sailing back to my launch point.
No shore break but still good waist-high waves; very civilized for Ambleside. So glad to catch one of the rare windsurfing days there!

Did a bit of a W Van beach tour before I went to Ambleside. First stop was Erwin Park: good SW exposure and steady wind of about 20 knots at 330 today, but huge logs crashing against the beach and seawall in the very high tide. Way too dangerous a launch today!
Next stop was the foot of 27th just west of Dundarave. Much less shore break and only a few logs so might have tried it if I had a sailing partner. This is a safer launch than Dundarave which tends to have pounding shorebreak on the steep beach. Very rocky though so probably not suitable for kiters.

Glad I didn’t give up: Ambleside was a rare treat.
Brian C

by Michael » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:07 pm

Reading the kiters session logs on BWD I'm thinking kiting was answer today. I was under powered, the waves seemed small and the wind was dead on shore, mostly SSE or S at times but it didn't really switch until late in the day and when that finally happened it dropped off. Rigged too small and struggled all day, I was there for 4 hours and got 2 reaches were it felt like fun. At least I didn't trash any gear which is usually how I end a day at White Rock. I was really expecting a big day, like the ones we used to get there, but I haven't had an epic day there in years.
Michael

by johnny2 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:52 am

I had my best day ever at WREB yesterday in the sunshine on 3.7/85L. I have pretty low expectations of that place so the bar is set low. I rigged too small given how up and down, wind must have been from 20-45 knots, I kept having to adjust my downhaul and outhaul every 10 mins and it was hard to get settled in. Funny when I re-read C36's description of WREB, it was spot on to yesterday's conditions.

"Often there can be wild swings in direction and strength that can leave sailors yelling out loud in frustration at times and in bliss at other times. In general, southeast wind is the puffiest and the more it rotates to the west and northwest the steadier the wind can get (especially once it is clear of the point on southwest). Wind can test your patience hear and prompt swearing when puffy and shifty But the same day of frustration can often be rewarded with a ‘golden’ hour or two"

I was lucky enough to be on the water for a 3 of the 'golden' half hour sessions and got some good rides. Later in the day, the high tide and the shorebreak was a nightmare though, even launching east of the grass area. Lucky none of us broke any gear.
johnny2

by Michael » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:07 am

johnny2 wrote:Wind can test your patience hear and prompt swearing when puffy and shifty But the same day of frustration can often be rewarded with a ‘golden’ hour or two"

I got one of the 'golden' half hour sessions. Here are a few shots from that half hour mostly of happy kiters, :D
Attachments
Chuck.jpg
Chuck.jpg (567.01 KiB) Viewed 7532 times
View.jpg
View.jpg (598.26 KiB) Viewed 7532 times
Chuck2.jpg
Chuck2.jpg (532.94 KiB) Viewed 7532 times
Alton2.jpg
Alton2.jpg (723.58 KiB) Viewed 7532 times
Alton.jpg
Alton.jpg (768.64 KiB) Viewed 7532 times
Airtime.jpg
Airtime.jpg (668.86 KiB) Viewed 7532 times
Jump.jpg
Jump.jpg (861.11 KiB) Viewed 7532 times
Michael

by Jens » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:02 pm

That was some difficult sailing at White Rock, so up and down, when on though it was so much fun!! Second day on my 89ltr:) started with 4.5 and later 5.0. Really tough getting out at high tide, seemed to be a big wind shadow right at shore:/

Took a few pictures too and put up gallery here:
https://jenskristianballe.com/Private/White-Rock-Oct-13-2020/1/thumbs
Jens

by Michael » Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:07 pm

Jens wrote:That was some difficult sailing at White Rock, so up and down, when on though it was so much fun!! Second day on my 89ltr:) started with 4.5 and later 5.0. Really tough getting out at high tide, seemed to be a big wind shadow right at shore:/

Nice pictures Jens, how do you like the board so far?
Michael

by Alton » Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:41 pm

Hey Michael - Nice picture! Looks like I cut you off

... note how smooooooooth the water is

Alton

by Domd » Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:31 pm

Jens wrote:That was some difficult sailing at White Rock, so up and down, when on though it was so much fun!! Second day on my 89ltr:) started with 4.5 and later 5.0. Really tough getting out at high tide, seemed to be a big wind shadow right at shore:/

Nice pics! Thanks for posting! 5.0 was definitely the call for us
Domd

by Michael » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:03 pm

Alton wrote:Hey Michael - Nice picture! Looks like I cut you off

... note how smooooooooth the water is

I knew what was coming, I saw you getting ready to jibe on that wave way back! :D Thought I would use your wake as a ramp. :D
Michael

by Jens » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:10 am

Michael wrote:

Nice pictures Jens, how do you like the board so far?

So far I quite like it, tried a 95ltr a couple times before but other than that never been on anything under 100, so just amazed how light and playful it feels :D
Jens

Previous

Return to Windsurfing