Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Any Wingfoilers On Here?

Windsurfing shop talk

by adam2 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:57 am

Hi All,

I was just wondering who here is winging. I am a bit surprised I haven't seen much chatter about it given that I'm seeing more an more wings at the beach this summer. I'm curious to know what setups people are running (wing sizes, board volumes, foil wing sizes) for Vancouver. How has it been working out? What is your windsport background? I've only been getting out lightwind sessions this summer that see me winDfoiling with a huge sail and not winging, but I'm hoping to get some winging in if I can get out in some higher winds in the fall.

Thanks!

Adam
adam2

by Michael » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:39 pm

Hey Adam, don't have one yet but I might get one for the fall. There are a bunch of guys on BWD that are into it and there are a few threads going there, if you haven't already seen them.

http://www.bigwavedave.ca/phpBB2/viewto ... sc&start=0
Michael

by adam2 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:13 pm

Hi Michael! Let me know if you do pick one up this fall. Would your plan be to use your SUP/windfoil board? That's been my plan so far, it has worked better than expected for now. I have been following "Juan's" exploits on the Island he seems to have it figured out.
adam2

by roydpm » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:04 am

Hey guys,
I am also learning to wing, so far only on a sup as have not been out in enough wind to foil yet. Using so far a 6m Fone and a 120L 7'4 Naish. Think I ran into you Adam at Jericho my first day out and we chatted.
Total newbie with limited wind sport experience has been a challenge coming from a surf/sup surf background. Only been out 5 times due to lack of good wind or rather surf.
Appreciate feedback or chat.
roydpm

by adam2 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:09 am

roydpm wrote:Hey guys,
I am also learning to wing, so far only on a sup as have not been out in enough wind to foil yet. Using so far a 6m Fone and a 120L 7'4 Naish. Think I ran into you Adam at Jericho my first day out and we chatted.
Total newbie with limited wind sport experience has been a challenge coming from a surf/sup surf background. Only been out 5 times due to lack of good wind or rather surf.
Appreciate feedback or chat.

Hi roydpm. That sounds like a good sized setup for Jericho. I do believe we chatted quite a while ago. I am on a similar sized board and it saves me all the time when the wind shuts off when I'm windfoiling. I will keep an eye out for you out there!
adam2

by juandesooka » Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:15 pm

VI winger here! After 50-100 sessions I figure I am fairly solid intermediate now. :D

Roy: "have not been out in enough wind to foil yet" ... this will be key, as it is the foil that makes this wing thing work. Kind of like the difference between a power boat slogging and then up on a plane -- so little drag once up on foil, you need way less wing power.

My experience so far is that it isn't as effective in light wind as I had hoped. My 6m starts at 10kt, but just barely doable, and frankly it's more fun to kite foil at that wind speed. 12kt it gets better. 15kt I am rocking. But countering this disappointment is how much more fun it is than expected 20kt above, especially once wind swells start to develop.

I haven't been over to Van since the covid ... look forward to a Sp Banks / Jericho session sometime soon.
juandesooka

by JonathanP » Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:30 pm

Hey Adam,
I started using a duotone 5m with the starboard I bought from you. Worked pretty good down to around 15knts or less. Then I transitioned to a 51l foil surf board, slingshot skywalker. Was weird at first, super responsive and a little tricky to keep the nose down. But after a bit, it clicked and is actually way easier once your up, except for the foot switch! Seems much more efficient being on a small light board, jybes were actually way easier on it. Can get hosed if the wind drops though. Aggressive pumping and luck with balance can get you going in pretty light wind, not sure how many knots though maybe sub 15. Finding the range pretty good though, had it out in around 30knots and still manageable as long as the wind doesn't gust in different directions! I'd love to get out on that georgia straight/Spanish banks swell on it, maybe even some waves at wreck when it starts blowing.
JonathanP

by adam2 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:40 am

Jonathan, i saw a pic or video you posted of winging that 8'2", I was impressed how well you were making that work. Dropping to a 51L board must have been a hell of a change. What would your ideal size be for a Squamish board if you wanted a single board wingfoil quiver? Was the 51L board enjoyable as a high wind board, or more of a novelty ride?

Jonathan, "Juan", give me a heads up if you guys do make it to town for a downwinder this fall, hopefully I can up my game first though.
adam2

by JonathanP » Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:07 pm

Yeah the starboard actually felt quite similar to windsurfing. I think the advantage of the wing over windsurf is to be able to use a much smaller board with way better responsiveness. Don't have straps on the 51l but if I did that would be pretty ideal though a bit narrow. With a windsurf sized board I think you need the mast to help guide the board around and keep the ride feeling snappy. I think the best all around to include lighter winds would be something wide, around 5-6 feet long and maybe 80l so you could kneel and slog if needed. Sommer of the prone foil boards by armstrong look pretty ideal. With the 51l in light winds I have to start sitting and pump the wing. Then switch to knees, then front foot up then standing. Some ppl with straps are starting with low volume boards putting on the straps and sinking the board before taking off.
JonathanP

by grantmac » Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:11 pm

One of the posts I saw mentioned that the small boards were easier to paddle back prone if the wind dies right down. Just toe the wing upside down.

The compactness of the gear sure is appealing.
grantmac

Next

Return to Windsurfing